PDA

View Full Version : Is 8800gtx sli worth the price + more questions

Abren
03-03-07, 06:14 AM
Aloha all,
I got a few questions and hope u all can help me out:
1.Is the 8800gtx Sli worth it?(Is it better to have one 8800gtx or is the SLi mind blowing and a must have?)
2.Can you all recommend motherboards and other parts to go with the 8800gtx card/cards. I am thinkning of getting the Core 2duo 2.4ghz + Gigabyte GA-N680SLI
3. I am concerned the fact that Ati may come up with a 8800gtx killer by May so should i get the 8800gtx or wait?
4. Also all this talk about DX10, we dont have any real platform to see how the 8800 Gtx will perform on DX10 games so how do we know if 8800 gtx is going to perform very well on Dx10games.

Thanx for the help all.
Cheers

Technoholic
03-03-07, 02:26 PM
It WILL perform veryvery well. But you should take a good look see around to see some people's inputs about it here.

DarkOneX
03-03-07, 03:30 PM
Aloha all,
1.Is the 8800gtx Sli worth it?(Is it better to have one 8800gtx or is the SLi mind blowing and a must have?)
2.Can you all recommend motherboards and other parts to go with the 8800gtx card/cards. I am thinkning of getting the Core 2duo 2.4ghz + Gigabyte GA-N680SLI
3. I am concerned the fact that Ati may come up with a 8800gtx killer by May so should i get the 8800gtx or wait?
4. Also all this talk about DX10, we dont have any real platform to see how the 8800 Gtx will perform on DX10 games so how do we know if 8800 gtx is going to perform very well on Dx10games.

Thanx for the help all.
Cheers

These are just my opinions so not saying I'm right, but here is what I think.

1) I would say any cards in SLI aren't worth it because I'd rather spend the money for 1 of the best card and not hafta worry about possible SLI issues, overheating, 1 card being a dud, let alone the price, etc etc. I'm sure the performance is great, but 1 card is great enough, 2 is overkill.

2) That Gigabyte board looks hot, also think the Asus P5B Premium Vista Ready board looks hot, as well as the Asus Striker and Commando boards.

3) Nvidia ftw. Buy an eVGA 8800GTX and just use the Step Up program to get a new 8900GTX that should be out within the 90 day period. No worries.

4) We don't know this, but by the time these games come out I'd bet money they'll run fine on the 8800GTS/GTX because we always worry about this stuff when you think about it, then when the game actually comes out we find how we were wrong and that it runs great. Half Life 2 and Doom 3 come to mind.

TonyM16
03-04-07, 09:46 AM
IMO if you have a 2560x1600 screen then the 8800gtx sli is useful for about 50%(talking modern games, not oldies like Deus Ex for eg.) of the games out there to play at max settings and still have AA. At 1920x1200 it's about 30%(modern games like Quake 4 , FEAR etc) of the games to play at max settings and loads of AA. Any lower than 1920x1200 and 8800gtx sli has nothing to offer in the current calamity. Future games may change that.

If you haven't got a decent monitor that can do 1920x1200 at the least then that should be the no.1 priority, along with just one 8800gtx. You can always add another 8800gtx at a later date if you feel you need it.

If you are loaded have no other responsibilities and are sure that you can replace the money spent then go ahead and buy two 8800gtx with either a Dell 2407 or 3007. It's all to do with personal circumstances whether or not 8800gtx sli is worth it.

It is not a must have though by any stretch of the imagination, as all games are playable at max settings with a single 8800gtx, all the second one does is allow a bit more AA at higher resolutions in some of the games. Whether or not that is mind blowing is also a personal thing (it is for me , as I am really into that sort of thing, but even I can see that it's not as great as it should be or could be if more people adopted it).

Also no gpu stays the best for more than a few months, and most people who are addicted to their PC's sell their old card and buy the new Top one very regularly so that they can always stay atop of the game. I can tell straight away that you are not that sort of person, but you could be if you wanted to. Which once again is a personal choice.

Even the great Intel Core2duo won't be the best for very long, the AMD Barcelona could take the crown back. So what to do? You just buy what you need and only what you need. You never think of the future games, you only think of the games that you want to play and what is required to play that game to a level you find both satisfactory and inspiring. A PC that has an Intel Core2duo cpu(the E6600 is a fine chip and will save you big bucks for similar performance of X6800), a 680i mobo (any will do, the Gigabyte looks like as good a choice as any, and it will allow the use of a R600 should you choose to by one and sell your 8800gtx in the future) and a 8800gtx(yes the R600 may be faster , but then the 8900gtx will be faster than that and then so and so on) should achieve that goal.

mach1.9pants
03-04-07, 03:05 PM
I have a 24" Dell and 7900GT's in SLI at the moment. They are just about up to the job, 'cos I have volt modded them, but can't run Oblivion NWN2 and others as I want it. So I have ordered the 8800GTX's, in SLI, so I can get the full 1920x1200, 16xAA, AF loveliness:afro2:
But I agree with Mr tony: [United States Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm,] M16. If you haven't got a high res monitor buy that first, then a 8800gtx if you can afford it and (what the hell) two if you can afford it. But it is tech and will soon be beaten, you can always hold out for the next thing- admittedly I wish I had held out for a C2D not my AM2 CPU!;)
As for DX10, I am sure any current DX10 issues will be sorted by the time Crysis etc gets public. I doubt that Nvidia are working that hard on DX10 because they have so long before the games are released. They are probably spending their time just getting the Vista drivers working at all!

Xion X2
03-04-07, 04:32 PM
Any lower than 1920x1200 and 8800gtx sli has nothing to offer in the current calamity. Future games may change that.

And here comes my rebuttal. :)

There are already a few games on the market that benefit in a MAJOR way from 8800GTX SLI at lower resolutions. Call of Juarez can drop down as low as 40-45FPS w/ 4xAA in thick grassy areas at 1680x1050--which grass is still a huge performance killer on these new cards as they were past, even though the 8800s are monsters in their own right--and in SLI it never drops below 90fps with 16xAA enabled. This may seem like "overkill," but there is a big difference in smoothness when your game stays above 60fps consistently compared to occasional dips down to 45fps, and there is also a noticeable visual quality enhancement in going from 4xAA-->16xAA. This may or may not matter much to you, but to the more hardcore of us it definitely does.

Oblivion is another example. Runs around 50-60fps on a single 8800GTX w/ 4xAA, but the second you step into a big forest with all of the grass shadows, tree shadows, and thick grass, BAM--back down to 30fps again along with some very evident lag and choppiness. This is easily remedied w/ SLI'd 8800s as your framerate will stay pinned at 60 or above in these locations and make gaming more seamless and smooth.

And Vanguard, don't get me started.. lol. Vanguard is the true graphics card killer out right now, although it's clear it isn't optimized very well. A single GTX will struggle plenty with that game at 1680x1050 resolution at maximum graphics settings--occasional dips under 30fps out in big, wide-open grassy areas--but when in SLI mode you'll rarely, if ever, drop below 45fps. Again, makes for a more seamless transition to graphics-intensive locations and a much smoother gameplay experience.

If you have the money and the patience to deal with the quirky motherboards that are out for SLI right now, it's definitely worth it. But that's a decision that you'll have to make for yourself given all of the opinions on this thread.

Bman212121
03-04-07, 04:47 PM
And here comes my rebuttal. :)

There are already a few games on the market that benefit in a MAJOR way from 8800GTX SLI at lower resolutions. Call of Juarez can drop down as low as 40-45FPS w/ 4xAA in thick grassy areas at 1680x1050--which grass is still a huge performance killer on these new cards as they were past, even though the 8800s are monsters in their own right--and in SLI it never drops below 90fps with 16xAA enabled. This may seem like "overkill," but there is a big difference in smoothness when your game stays above 60fps consistently compared to occasional dips down to 45fps, and there is also a noticeable visual quality enhancement in going from 4xAA-->16xAA. This may or may not matter much to you, but to the more hardcore of us it definitely does.

Oblivion is another example. Runs around 50-60fps on a single 8800GTX w/ 4xAA, but the second you step into a big forest with all of the grass shadows, tree shadows, and thick grass, BAM--back down to 30fps again along with some very evident lag and choppiness. This is easily remedied w/ SLI'd 8800s as your framerate will stay pinned at 60 or above in these locations and make gaming more seamless and smooth.

And Vanguard, don't get me started.. lol. Vanguard is the true graphics card killer out right now, although it's clear it isn't optimized very well. A single GTX will struggle plenty with that game at 1680x1050 resolution at maximum graphics settings--occasional dips under 30fps out in big, wide-open grassy areas--but when in SLI mode you'll rarely, if ever, drop below 45fps. Again, makes for a more seamless transition to graphics-intensive locations and a much smoother gameplay experience.

If you have the money and the patience to deal with the quirky motherboards that are out for SLI right now, it's definitely worth it. But that's a decision that you'll have to make for yourself given all of the opinions on this thread.

I'd have to agree with you that games at 16 x 12 or 16 x 10 are still going to see a difference dropping in that second card if you want everything on. Most games I can get 4 or 8x AA and stay vsynced @ 1920 x 1200, but if you want to use 16Q and supersampling, your going to take a big hit. If I try to push that with a single gtx, I can drop down below 30 depending upon the game. C&C 3 demo won't go that high without dropping down to 15 fps when you have a lot of stuff going on. The difference in the res probably has much less of an effect than using 16Q AA / supersampling. COD2 is another game that SLI seems to really help as well. That game tends to run like piss in certain areas, and jakUp had some benchies a while back that showed the big boost that SLI gives for that game.

If you don't really care about having to have every last thing on, then I really wouldn't worry about it at the moment. The biggest thing that it depends on is what games you are playing, what res, and do you like to crank up the quality. I'd definitely venture a guess though that the games that will be coming out this year will probably see a big boost from SLI, so if you are looking to future proof for a little while, it might not be a bad idea. I'm probably going SLI with UT2007 comes out, just so I don't have to worry about any lag.

Bman212121
03-04-07, 04:52 PM
It depends on your current or future display. 8800GTX SLI is only useful for high resolutions and high image quality settings.

Actually, you made me just think of something funny. Even if I turn on max detail, and AA / AF in Unreal 2004, my card will actually go into low power mode when it is overclocked. When I was running XP, I had my 8800GTX at 648 / 2000, and in almost all games, as soon as you started it, the card would go from stock clocks to that. UT2004 would do full res and not even have to speed up to handle it.

kevJ420
03-04-07, 05:03 PM
Aloha all,

Thanx for the help all.
Cheers

1. SLI is definately worth it, b/c I'm sure they'll add additional graphics features, tweaks, options, and of course multiple ssaa modes (different sample patterns) for SLI shortly. I would be quite unhappy if they didn't.

#2. wait until the core 2 quad comes down in price, that is, if current price is too high. also, i thnk that gigabyte just released a new really good motherboard, but that might be the same one you mentioned, I forgot the model number, I read a review of it about a week ago.

#3 ATI will not have better image quality (R600). And the speed is way more than sufficient with an 8800gtx. Nothing needs to be any faster. Image quality is the concern right now, but probably only to me. I'm just more particular I guess.

#4 the performance w/ Direct X 10 will be fine with the 8800GTX. DX10 is mainly actually programming/code differences (for more efficiency=more speed) other than the geometry shader and all of which it brings.

daforce
03-04-07, 09:17 PM
I have a 8800GTX and Dell 30" LCD. Running native res in games 2560x1600 SLI would be VERY handy.

But depending on your resolution SLi may not be as important.
So as the other said. Make sure your monitor can support a high enough reo****ion before thinking about SLI ;)

Xion X2
03-04-07, 09:26 PM
^ LOL. The filter caught his misspelling of "resolution" and filtered out the "s-l-u-t".

:rofl

Abren
03-05-07, 05:57 AM
Well guys THANKS a lot for the helpful input :)

I think most probably I will just take the 8800gtx as of now as Sli is a hassle+ extra heat and $$$$$ .Also it would suck if ATI came out with a card that kills 8800sli in the next 2-4months .

My current monitor is the Dell 2407WFP 24. So i think an additional card wud be great but i am just confused whether to Sli or not.
The game i am looking forward to playing in its most uber forms are Supreme Commander and Flight sim x.

So Sli or no Sli u guys tell me :)
Thanks a lot everyone

daforce
03-05-07, 06:57 AM
LOL @ my misspelling... hilarious

Redeemed
03-05-07, 07:04 AM
Well, considering which monitor you have- I'd say that SLi would be recommended.

With that said, I doubt you need SLi right now. I would recommend getting a single GTX for now. Save up some more money, then get a second GTX later. Not sure if you will wind up getting Crysis, Alan Wake, I.M., or any of the other killer games to come out soon- but if so they will greatly benefit from SLi.

As for FlightSimX- it will also benefit from SLi, especially once MS releases that DX10 patch. ;)

Bman212121
03-05-07, 02:07 PM
Well guys THANKS a lot for the helpful input :)

I think most probably I will just take the 8800gtx as of now as Sli is a hassle+ extra heat and $$$$$ .Also it would suck if ATI came out with a card that kills 8800sli in the next 2-4months .

My current monitor is the Dell 2407WFP 24. So i think an additional card wud be great but i am just confused whether to Sli or not.
The game i am looking forward to playing in its most uber forms are Supreme Commander and Flight sim x.

So Sli or no Sli u guys tell me :)
Thanks a lot everyone

The 2407 definitely can use SLI. This monitor likes to tear, so keeping vsync on is a must for me, which means I need to keep 60fps all the time. A single GTX will get you good frames and a decent amount of eye candy, but it does look pretty sweet when you can turn everything on. Flight Sim X would be a big reason to get SLI; that game seems to run like piss no matter what I do. Supreme Commander and other games like C&C 3 would probably also benefit from SLI quite well because they don't have pop caps, so you can get a ridiculous amount of stuff on the screen. I haven't tried it with Supreme Commander yet, but in C&C 3 I can drop the fps down to 15 by filling the screen with stuff.

I'll be getting the 2nd GTX by this time next year, and hopefully pair it up with a quad core 45nm. I don't think you'll have to worry about ATI releasing anything that powerful either, when they do bring something to market it is going to be faster than a single GTX, but I highly doubt they can get something that is as fast as SLI out. NV will have something out that it is going to be faster in the near future, so it may even be possible to either sell the 8800GTX and get an 8900GTX, or just wait for the prices to drop on the 8800GTX and get the second one. It will all matter on how much faster an 8900GTX is going to be.

Xion X2
03-05-07, 03:56 PM
Also it would suck if ATI came out with a card that kills 8800sli in the next 2-4months .

That's not going to happen. But go do what you want to do. :)

Abren
03-06-07, 08:58 AM
yaarrrrrrrr thanks for helps.
I will be getting the SLI finally next week. New stuff will come out anyways everytime so no point in me worrying abt that kind of stuff.

Thanks a lot to all :captnkill:

Hank Freid
05-12-08, 06:15 AM
As my information SLI has been fixed in Vista for all the Nvidia cards. Is it worth it now that all depends. What kind of games do you play? And at what resolutions? Now to the PSU part of it. So I would recommend not getting a dedicated VGA PSU and just getting a new PSU. So as the Silencer 750 it will handle more then most could ever throw at it without even trying.

Regards:
Hank Freid (http://www.hotelinteractive.com/index.asp?page_id=5000&article_id=6676)

FearMeAll
05-12-08, 06:35 AM
As my information SLI has been fixed in Vista for all the Nvidia cards. Is it worth it now that all depends. What kind of games do you play? And at what resolutions? Now to the PSU part of it. So I would recommend not getting a dedicated VGA PSU and just getting a new PSU. So as the Silencer 750 it will handle more then most could ever throw at it without even trying.

Regards:
Hank Freid (http://www.hotelinteractive.com/index.asp?page_id=5000&article_id=6676)
moron...reviving a dead thread and trying to throw a little spam in there.....god you people make me sick. you don't even know anything about vid cards...what the hell is a dedicated VGA PSU???
Someone please ban this guy.

rudedog
05-12-08, 08:05 AM
I think we can chalk his reply to link spam (see his sig) to his hotel and hotel profile.

A mod should at least remove the urls from his post.

wildman92
05-12-08, 09:26 AM
This is a vga power supply;)

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0099/w0099.asp

FearMeAll
05-12-08, 09:39 AM
This is a vga power supply;)

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0099/w0099.asp
lol :headexplode: