PDA

View Full Version : [Vista] What's the preferred way to upgrade Forceware Vista drivers?

Pages : [1] 2

Xophile
03-03-07, 07:50 AM
Hi!

Do you guys uninstall, reboot, install and then reboot once again?

Or do you simply install over the top?

One more thing, wasn't Vista suppose to lower the need for restarts?

/Xo (very new to Vista, 28 days "trial" before activation left)

Dragunov
03-03-07, 07:51 AM
uninstall, reboot in safe mode, clean with drivercleaner.net, reboot, install drivers, reboot

Xophile
03-03-07, 08:39 AM
Seriously?

Wasn't Vista suppose to change this behavior and lower the need of restarts etc?

lumpyhed
03-03-07, 08:47 AM
Do you guys uninstall, reboot, install and then reboot once again?

Wasn't Vista suppose to change this behavior and lower the need of restarts etc?

I had my sound completely screw up the other day. I only had to restart a particular service and it was back on without a hitch :D

banned1011
03-03-07, 09:50 AM
Driver cleaner is the devil, run that if you feel like following that POS up with a full reinstallation.

Just double click the .exe and install - done deal, no problems here. All these people that run third party apps to remove all registry entries, files, folders kill me. They are the ones with strange problems that never get fixed because driver cleaner rips too much and hoses their next installation.

I used to use it - it's garbage.

n4cer
03-03-07, 07:13 PM
Most of the time you can just install the new driver and it will replace the old driver. No reboot required.

However, with Forceware 101.41 beta (x64), it lacks some of the components that were included in 100.65 (and apparently NVIDIA's installer doesn't check for them) so those extras remained installed (as viewable in NVIDIA's control panel | System information). This isn't a big deal usually, but due to stability issues w/ the 100.65s, I wanted only the latest components installed. So in that instance, I did uninstall the driver, restart and install the latest, though I probably could've avoided the restart simply by installing the default vista driver, then installing 101.41.

Incidentally, in Vista, you can enumerate third-party driver packages in the driver store on your system with pnputil.exe, and also use it to delete any older packages to reclaim some space if desired. I second banned's thoughts about most cleaners/reg tweakers/etc. They usually cause more problems than they fix.

AngelGraves13
03-03-07, 07:33 PM
Seriously?

yes...give it a year for driver install behavior to change.

ideas_man69
03-03-07, 08:27 PM
i simply uninstall my current drivers, then reboot when asked to.

install the newer ones and reboot when asked to.

jAkUp
03-03-07, 09:18 PM
I uninstall, restart, then install.

rflair
03-03-07, 09:56 PM
I just install over previous drivers, have always done so, in 98, 2K, XP and now Vista.

I'm in the 'Drvier Cleaner is Crap' crowd also.

nekrosoft13
03-03-07, 10:01 PM
I just install over previous drivers, have always done so, in 98, 2K, XP and now Vista.

bingo, we got a winner

drivercleaner is completly useless

grey_1
03-03-07, 10:13 PM
Standard method here also, with reboots.

I hosed my system once with driver cleaner. Haven't used it since and haven't really had any trouble to speak of.

MaxyPads
03-04-07, 12:34 AM

I followed this step finally (by not removing previous driver version and just installing new drivers over old one)...and it worked. When I just uninstalled 100.65 in safe mode and then installed 101.41, the videos, games, just didn't work right (crashing, blank video output). Installing over previous version fixed everything.

Dragunov
03-04-07, 07:08 AM
well, for some problems it solves problems when using drivercleaner.net

it's a nice tool, and no problems with it :)

But everyone has of course their own opinion, nothing wrong with it

But just installing drivers on top of an older driver, hmmm, I'm abit afraid of this, u never know some stuff gets corrupted, I always prefer a fresh install of drivers :)

Or Nvidia needs to clean up the remainings before when installing newer drivers!

bigjohns97
03-04-07, 11:05 AM
uninstall old, reboot, install new, reboot.

Dazz
03-04-07, 12:01 PM
I use driver cleaner in very rare cases for my Creative Labs Sound card.

Dragunov
03-04-07, 01:59 PM
creative lite or creative as filter?

blarg
03-04-07, 06:14 PM
Driver cleaner is the devil, run that if you feel like following that POS up with a full reinstallation.

Just double click the .exe and install - done deal, no problems here. All these people that run third party apps to remove all registry entries, files, folders kill me. They are the ones with strange problems that never get fixed because driver cleaner rips too much and hoses their next installation.

I used to use it - it's garbage.

I have NEVER had an issue with DC at all! Maybe you cleaned the wrong drivers, lol :captnkill:

Just installing over the older drivers is a very messy and potentially troublesome way of doing things. I like to make sure when I'm installing my drivers ALL the new files are being installed...

Absolution
03-04-07, 09:28 PM
I use driver cleaner in very rare cases for my Creative Labs Sound card.
same, other than that, i just uninstall restart install restart maybe

Demon_82
03-05-07, 03:15 PM
Just lazy method, press the isntall button without doing anything before, with no troubles at all. Only needing reboot to get control panel working after it. XD

blitzkrieg999
03-05-07, 08:56 PM
I uninstall, reboot, and install new.

Yoshi
03-06-07, 10:49 AM
Yes this is the best way I do this.

uninstall, reboot, install and then reboot once again

sotti
03-07-07, 12:39 PM
I just install.

I don't find that I have issues with drivers. But I don't play a TON of games anymore.

OWA
03-07-07, 12:50 PM
I uninstall, restart, then install.
Same here. I use to just install over the top of existing ones in XP but I stopped doing that with Vista. I pretty much stopped doing that in XP also (once I got the 8800s).

jabloomf1230
03-07-07, 03:10 PM
More than you need to know, but probably not all there is to say

I'm not even sure that Driver Cleaner Pro works properly in Vista. It didn't seem to do anything in Vista x64 Ultimate cause it didn't find anything to "clean". I've read elsewhere that the nVidia registry entries have a slightly different format in Vista than in XP.

Anyway ... Go to the Control Panel and uninstall the existing video drivers, then reboot. When Vista tries to reinstall any video drivers automatically except for the base VGA driver, cancel that install. You can avoid Vista even trying to reinstall any older nVidia video driver versions, by choosing the option to delete the files when you do the initial uninstall from the Control Panel. The problem with picking that option is that you better save a copy of the old driver installation files, because you never know. You might need them.

Then install the new drivers using the nVidia setup program (not by referring to the inf file directly, which might work fine, but then again why take a chance?).

If something bad happens with the whole video driver uninstall/install process, just go back to the last System Restore point. If you're really paranoid (careful?) set a new System Restore Point just before you do the initial uninstall.

Also, one last item. Turn off Vista's automate update feature or Vista will eventually uninstall your brand new beta driver and reinstall the last WHQL driver on Windows update website.