PDA

View Full Version : The best upgrade point

Spotch
03-15-03, 08:35 PM
We all try to choose the best time to upgrade our rigs. Well it seems to me that the new 800Mhz FSB Intel platform and CPUs together with NV35 (?) and the new 9800 line of ATI cards make this the clearest upgrade point we have seen in years. I have a 2200+ with a 9700 pro and I think I am ready to go back to an Intel setup for my gaming rig. The canterwood and a nice 800Mhz fsb P4 2.6~3Ghz seems to be the sweet spot.

-=DVS=-
03-15-03, 10:36 PM
I don't think P4 with 800MHz bus will be released anytime soon :(

But yes its should be very good performer :D Some people will suggest AMD's 64 bit CPU , but is it any good with current software :confused: i heard its gonna have only 400MHz Bus

mariuz
03-16-03, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
I don't think P4 with 800MHz bus will be released anytime soon :(

But yes its should be very good performer :D Some people will suggest AMD's 64 bit CPU , but is it any good with current software :confused: i heard its gonna have only 400MHz Bus
So if the cpu has 2Ghz then the Fsb will be 2Gz at the same speed . Now that is evolution :)

from the amd faq
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_4699_7981%5E7987,00.html#62565
Q: What is the front-side bus frequency of the AMD Opteron processor?
A: In traditional microprocessor architecture, the front-side bus is the communication path connecting the northbridge chip to the CPU. As the AMD Opteron processor embeds functions of the northbridge into the CPU itself, including the memory controller, there is no longer a front-side bus as people have come to understand it. As the built-in memory controller operates at processor frequency, the clock frequency of the AMD Opteron processor can be considered the frequency of its front-side bus.

Why not a barton 3000-3200+ :) and a Nforce2 :angel2:

Spotch
03-16-03, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mariuz
So if the cpu has 2Ghz then the Fsb will be 2Gz at the same speed . Now that is evolution :)

from the amd faq
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_4699_7981%5E7987,00.html#62565

Why not a barton 3000-3200+ :) and a Nforce2 :angel2:

I have noticed quite a few issues going around concerning the NF2. I dont own one so I cannot confirm any of these but it has made me a bit skeptical about its stability. Also I currently have a KT400 with USB 2.0 and a whole bunch of other bells and whistles. It is capable of running the new 333 FSB AMD chips already. I dont think the NF2 upgrade path would really be worth it for me in any case. If I am to buy a new Mobo it would either be the new AMD 64 platform (Forgot the name) or a new Intel one.

-=DVS=-
03-16-03, 01:52 PM

FSB shares information between CPU and MAIN MEMORY

Now were the hek in the world are they gonna get a 2000 MHz Memory :D lol

There is no way its gonna have 2GHz FSB its only a PR BS at best ;)

P4 quad pumps 200Mhz x 4 = 800

now AMD ? what they gonna make it factor 10? 200Mhz x 10 = 2GHz ?

P4 will use 400Mhz DDR ram (double date rate), what will AMD use ? there is no Quad DR ram is it.

Spotch
03-16-03, 01:57 PM

Its hard for me to swallow much of the PR stuff coming out of NV these days. They remind me of the little kid that hears one kid say something and then has to come back with: "I have one of those too but mine is bigger and I had it before you" line. They must have purchased a big warehouse full of BS a couple of years ago at cost and are now saturating the market with it. I guess we the consumers lose on this one since it seems the price of crap is going down.

mariuz
03-16-03, 02:03 PM

The memory controler is inside the processor
and works @ cpu speed .The FSB is Inside ...

+-------------+
| CPU -> MC |-------> DDR 333 (or 400mhz)
+-------------+

for the p4 the fsb is outside

+-----+
| CPU |-------> MC-> DDR 333 (or 400mhz)
+-----+

Recap :
axp64 cpu -> 2ghz FSB ->MC ->400mhz (ddr)
p4 cpu ->0.8 ghz FSB ->MC -> 400mhz (ddr)

Usualy there will be dual chanel ddr for both

-=DVS=-
03-16-03, 03:21 PM
The memory controler is inside the processor
and works @ cpu speed .The FSB is Inside ...

+-------------+
| CPU -> MC |-------> DDR 333 (or 400mhz)
+-------------+

for the p4 the fsb is outside

+-----+
| CPU |-------> MC-> DDR 333 (or 400mhz)
+-----+

Recap :
axp64 cpu -> 2ghz FSB ->MC ->400mhz (ddr)
p4 cpu ->0.8 ghz FSB ->MC -> 400mhz (ddr)

Usualy there will be dual chanel ddr for both

Ok but i still have something to ask as you explained CPU and MC talk to each other at same speed 2GHz, but they still can't get information faster then memory can provide them at only 400Mhz DDR :confused:

Wouldn't it be a highly unbalanced system ?

One thing it would be good for is for future when faster memory is available ?

Wouldn't it be like running P4 533MHz BUS with 266DDR ram it would suck :confused: same happens here !

mariuz
03-16-03, 03:38 PM
Ok but i still have something to ask as you explained CPU and MC talk to each other at same speed 2GHz, but they still can't get information faster then memory can provide them at only 400Mhz DDR :confused:

Wouldn't it be a highly unbalanced system ?

One thing it would be good for is for future when faster memory is available ?

Wouldn't it be like running P4 533MHz BUS with 266DDR ram it would suck :confused: same happens here !

This is where the dual channel save the day and do some balance until the ddr2 apear
(on geforcefx ddr2 reaches 1Ghz but we have to wait a few years until it happens to our systems:( )

axp64

+-------------+-------> DDR400 first channel
| CPU -> MC |
+-------------+-------> DDR400 second channel

for the p4

+-----+-------> DDR400 first channel
| CPU |
+-----+-------> DDR400 second channel

druga runda
03-16-03, 04:22 PM
The way I understand it is that memory controller working at the frequency of the processor will seriously lower latency and therefore increase the efficiency of the system.

Plus I haven't heared that Athlon64 memory controller will be able to handle dual channel but rather only single channel ram... seems dull but there it is... anyway it should have enough power to punch prescotts hard... still it remains to be seen what happens as when those two new lines are launched the processor designs will differ more than ever.