PDA

View Full Version : WoW issues

Tabs
03-04-07, 05:37 PM
Starting a thread for this as I haven't seen one specific to it:

I've spent a bunch of time the past few nights figuring out what causes the various issues with WoW (using 101.41 on my 7800GTX) and here's what I'm seeing:

1. Enabling triple buffering in WoW's video menu causes a massive performance drop, especially if AA is on. I basically tripled my FPS after turning this off.

2. I experience random slowdowns in the game when using windowed mode. This really sucks because this is how I usually run the game so that I can have Allakahzam, Vent, Trillian etc open on my second monitor while I play. Verified that it doesn't happen in fullscreen mode.

3. Disabling Vista's Desktop Composition (Aero) either by selecting in on the game exe's compatibility tab or by setting the color scheme to Windows Vista Basic manually causes the game to display as a black screen in windowed mode. The game is running, I can hear the sound etc, but absolutely nothing displays. If I turn Aero back on and it's instantly fixed.

Can anyone else confirm this stuff, especially the last one? I'm pretty sure Aero is to blame for the slowdowns I'm seeing in Windowed mode and I thought running under the basic color scheme would fix it, but WoW's graphics output doesn't even display unless Aero is on.

blitzkrieg999
03-05-07, 08:53 PM
Don't change Vista's theme while the game is running. Honestly, as much as I loved the look of Aero, I've turned it completely off until nVidia's drivers have improved.

You might want to think about creating a separate Windows login for playing WoW that doesn't use Aero, and leave your main account with Aero enabled for when you're surfing, watching DVDs, etc.

Tabs
03-07-07, 12:57 AM
I'm not changing it while the game is running... Even if I change the theme, restart, and then run WoW it still just gives me a black screen...

St Lobus
03-20-07, 08:40 AM
I'm running a 6800 GT with the 101.41 drivers and noticed a massive performance loss between XP and Vista while playing WoW. I spent an afternoon playing with various tweaks and discovered that if you turned down the terrain distance slider to either low or just one notch above it, it increases performance dramatically. Nothing else gave me a performance boost, just turning down the terrain distance.

As far as windowed mode, wish I could help with that one, but I haven't messed with that yet, myself.