PDA

View Full Version : FSB, Overclocking and RAM question

Pages : [1] 2

L33t Masta
03-05-07, 05:52 AM
Right now I'm using DDR2 667 Ram in my computer. but my FSB is 921MHz from overclocking my PentiumD 950 15% to 3.917 GHz. Should I be buying faster RAM? If so, what kind would be best? (1 GB sticks only)

L33t Masta
03-05-07, 08:53 AM
Have you tried overclocking your RAM? Maybe to 800MHz for DDR2 6400...

No. I dabble in overclock profiles for my CPU and thats all. Though I am thinking about going in to turn the multiplyer up to 35x simply to squeeze out the needed power to grab 4 GHz out of my CPU. I'm running a P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard and know absolutly nothing about RAM overclocking unfortunatly.

L33t Masta
03-05-07, 09:03 PM
No. I dabble in overclock profiles for my CPU and thats all. Though I am thinking about going in to turn the multiplyer up to 35x simply to squeeze out the needed power to grab 4 GHz out of my CPU. I'm running a P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard and know absolutly nothing about RAM overclocking unfortunatly.

So am I right when I think Ishould buy higher clocked RAM?

Xion X2
03-05-07, 10:22 PM
You're not being very descriptive. For example:
Right now I'm using DDR2 667 Ram in my computer. but my FSB is 921MHz from overclocking my PentiumD 950 15% to 3.917 GHz. Should I be buying faster RAM?

--what does this mean, exactly? Why would you need to buy faster RAM to run at a faster FSB? Is your computer crashing/locking up on you, or what? What you're asking doesn't make any sense.

L33t Masta
03-05-07, 11:17 PM
You're not being very descriptive. For example:

--what does this mean, exactly? Why would you need to buy faster RAM to run at a faster FSB? Is your computer crashing/locking up on you, or what? What you're asking doesn't make any sense.

Err..I want faster ram for a faster computer..if I have an FSB thats faster than 667 should I not have ram faster than 667?

Xion X2
03-06-07, 12:18 AM
Not necessarily, no. It depends on the motherboard and whether or not it allows you to clock your memory independently of your FSB, which most do. I have an FSB of 1600 with my RAM running at 800mhz.

L33t Masta
03-06-07, 12:27 AM
Well idk if my P5LD2 Deluxe allows me to. But usually the higher your FSB, the higher speed RAM you can use effectivly, correct? Like if my PSB was 800 MHz, then using a 1000MHz stick of RAM would waste basiclly 200 MHz, correct?

Xion X2
03-06-07, 12:55 AM
Well idk if my P5LD2 Deluxe allows me to. But usually the higher your FSB, the higher speed RAM you can use effectivly, correct? Like if my PSB was 800 MHz, then using a 1000MHz stick of RAM would waste basiclly 200 MHz, correct?

No. That's not at all how it works. Your RAM would just run at 1000mhz.

Your RAM runs independent of your FSB until you start overclocking. It's true that when you overclock your FSB that your RAM speed increases, but most boards allow you the ability to set your RAM speed manually if you want to. And if you can't set it manually, then most boards allow you to set a divider on it in order to scale it back so that you're not running it too much faster than its rated speed.

The only time you would need faster RAM is if your motherboard is unstable with anything other than a 1:1 FSB/Memory ratio. Say, for example, 1600mhz on the FSB and 800mhz on the RAM, which is what I have to run. A pair of DDR533 sticks would probably not be up to the task in this case if I wanted to run a 1600FSB for 24/7 use.

L33t Masta
03-06-07, 01:33 AM
No. That's not at all how it works. Your RAM would just run at 1000mhz.

Your RAM runs independent of your FSB until you start overclocking. It's true that when you overclock your FSB that your RAM speed increases, but most boards allow you the ability to set your RAM speed manually if you want to. And if you can't set it manually, then most boards allow you to set a divider on it in order to scale it back so that you're not running it too much faster than its rated speed.

The only time you would need faster RAM is if your motherboard is unstable with anything other than a 1:1 FSB/Memory ratio. Say, for example, 1600mhz on the FSB and 800mhz on the RAM, which is what I have to run. A pair of DDR533 sticks would probably not be up to the task in this case if I wanted to run a 1600FSB for 24/7 use.

Oh. So my RAM should keep up a 1:1 OC ratio with my FSB? So that means the RAM I have in there already is overclocked as well. Cool.

Muppet
03-06-07, 02:59 AM
Oh. So my RAM should keep up a 1:1 OC ratio with my FSB? So that means the RAM I have in there already is overclocked as well. Cool.
As Xion has just point out, yes more than likely unless you are running a divider which allows for different Ram speeds.

Dazz
03-06-07, 11:31 AM
Or with the 680i you can lock you memory and o.c the FSB. Technically it's not locked. it uses hundreds of multiplires arounds them up to what you want eg 1000MHz may mean 997MHz for eg. 13:11 etc

L33t Masta
03-06-07, 11:38 AM
Here's what CPU-Z says:

RAM Size : 2048 MB
RAM Freq : 172.8 MHz
RAM Type : DDR2-SDRAM Dual Channel
RAM Ratio : 4:3
RAM Timings : 5-6-6-18

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7023/busjw9.jpg
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3231/ramxi4.jpg
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3637/spdvm2.jpg

Xion X2
03-06-07, 06:43 PM
Speed your RAM up. Right now, it's running at a blistering 340mhz with timings so slow a sundial could read it.

L33t Masta
03-06-07, 10:57 PM
Speed your RAM up. Right now, it's running at a blistering 340mhz with timings so slow a sundial could read it.

Wow. Thats what I thought. My RAM timings were a bit slow for Vista. Only 4.5 for the RAM. How can I speed it up? What options do I need to adjust in my ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe Bios?

WOW! The guy I bought this ram lied to me. The other stick is made my Muskin. Same speed though. 667 is what it should be. So I have my CPU and FSB Oced without my RAM. My RAM is being slow for some reason

L33t Masta
03-06-07, 11:13 PM
ANy help at this point is appreciated. I'll trythe OC when i get home.

L33t Masta
03-07-07, 12:50 AM
Well I tried it out and here's what I get:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6331/newramhi9.jpg

Xion X2
03-07-07, 01:31 AM
Still far too slow and the timings are way too high. Crucial makes good RAM. Decrease the timings more and speed it up.

Isn't there an option in your BIOS to set the RAM speed? If not, then just look for those dividers like I was telling you before. There should be something that says "RAM Dividers" or "FSB/RAM Ratio" or something along those lines.

L33t Masta
03-07-07, 01:56 AM
Still far too slow and the timings are way too high. Crucial makes good RAM. Decrease the timings more and speed it up.

Isn't there an option in your BIOS to set the RAM speed? If not, then just look for those dividers like I was telling you before. There should be something that says "RAM Dividers" or "FSB/RAM Ratio" or something along those lines.

Well it seems the dude I bought the RAM from must have ****ed up, because I have ione stick of Crucial and one stick from Some other company called Muskin.

Xion X2
03-07-07, 02:10 AM
Yeah, you don't want to mix sticks. Not good for overclocking--at all.

L33t Masta
03-07-07, 02:24 AM
Well I'll worry about that later.

Here's what my BIOS looks like

Jumper-Free Settings / Configure System Frequency/Voltage

AI Overclocking - Normal
CPU Frequency - 230
DRAM Frequency - DDR2-613MHz

Merformance Mode - Auto
PCI Express Frequency - Auto
PCI Clock Sync Mode - Auto
Memory Voltage - Auto
CPU VCore Voltage - Auto
FSB Termination Voltage - Auto
MCH Chipset Voltage - Auto
ICH Chipset Voltage - Auto

Advanced Chipset Settings
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD - Enabled
Hyper Path 3 - Auto
DRAM Throttling Threshold - Auto
Boot Grafic Adapter Priority - PCI Express/PCI
-----------------------------------------
PEG Buffer length - Auto
Link Latency - Auto
PEG Root Control - Auto
PEG Link Mode 0 Auto
Slot Power - Auto
High Priority Slot Select - Disabled
2nd PCI-E slot Mode - Auto

L33t Masta
03-07-07, 01:41 PM
Are any of these options the one you refered to?

Xion X2
03-07-07, 04:09 PM
Change "performance mode" from auto to manual, because it'd hiding further settings.

L33t Masta
03-07-07, 06:23 PM
Change "performance mode" from auto to manual, because it'd hiding further settings.

It only gives me "Auto, None, Turbo" as options i belive. Aything else you suggest I try? Also what would be good timings for RAM lik this?

Rytr
03-07-07, 06:56 PM
On the P5LD2 enter the bios and go to Advanced, select 'manual' instead of 'auto'. That will give you a fresh screen with access to your FSB and memory timings. All are set to auto by default.

ATOJAR
03-07-07, 07:32 PM
This is where im at right now(see the pic & my sig), im still pretty new to overclocking so i just change the memory speeds in the bios, up the fsb of the cpu and change the voltage to 1.4v..... everything else i leave on auto because im not sure what to change lol... one thing i know if i try to go past 2.99GHz my system hangs and i have to reset the bios!..... god knows why this happenes!.. would anybody have any ideas?

How do my overclocks look to somebody than knows what there doing/looking at? lol.... is there anything i could change?

Sorry fot butting in on your thread L33t Masta, just didnt see the point in starting a fresh one... hope you dont mind.... im still learning also lol.