PDA

View Full Version : Upping the Ante...

Redeemed
03-05-07, 06:52 AM
Okay ya'll, I'm wanting to "step-it-up" with my next two gaming rigs. My goal is to have two "top-of-the-line" rigs by year's end. :p

Currently I have an Opty185, ASUS A8N32-SLi DLx, 2GB Patriot eXtreme Performance DDR500 ram CAS 3 (soon to be 4GB), Silverstone Zeuse 850 watt PSU, 2x Maxtor 300Gb HDDs (16Mb cache, 7200RPM, ATA133), and dual eVGA 8800GTSs. This setup I'm using now is just to last untill I can get my two top of the line rigs. ;)

So, for my first top of the line build I'm wanting to go Core2. I'm mostly interested in Quad Core. The QX6700 is out of my price range, so I'm looking towards the Q6600. I'm going to wait untill Intel cuts thier prices later this year (April- i.e. next month I believe).

I'm really unsure of which mobo to get. I'm scared to death of the 680i cause all I hear is horror stories. I'm want to overclock the crap out of the Q6600- so I need a good solid oc'ing mobo. Also, I'm wanting to go with dual 8800GTXs- so the mobo also needs to support SLi. Any suggestions on a good mobo? I'm thinking the ASUS P5N32 SLi. What do you guys think?

Next issue would be the tower- I'm wanting to get a larger tower like most of you guys have. I'm determined to do a kick-a$$ job on cable management with these two new builds. I also want to keep cooling in mind- I am interested in the most efficient towers available for cooling.

Currently I'm pretty torn between these two towers:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1710666&CatId=1510

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163067

Now I'm well aware that if I went with the Thermaltake Tai-Chi tower I'd be stuck with water cooling. I'm perfectly okay with that as water cooling has been an interest of mine.

So here's what I'm thinking of doing:

Getting the Silverstone tower for my build with the Q6600. I'm thinking of going with with ASUS P5N32-SLi Premium mobo-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131071

I'd also be going with 4GB of the most kick-@$$ ram I could get. I'd also be shooting for 4x150GB Raptors in RAID 0+1. For cooling, I'd use the CoolIT FreeZone cpu cooler, and air cooling for everything else. I'd be getting high CFM fans only to ensure plenty of airflow. For a PSU I'm thinking of either of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256010

Then, for my second build after that- I'd cross that bridge when I got there. I'm sure Intel would have released some new procs by that time and I'm also sure that R600 will be out by then as well.

I'm just needing input on this first top-end rig I'm gonna' be building. Any suggestions, comments, or any other sort of feedback? I'm just seeking input on components such as the towers I've selected- are they worth the $$$? The mobo- would it be stable and allow for some awesome oc'ing? And then just general input in regards to water cooling- like things I need to be aware of for water cooling, stuff I should do and not do, etc.

Thanks in advance for all your input. :D

I'm hoping to start purchasing components by the end of this month- as a B-day gift to myself. ;) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

Redeemed
03-05-07, 07:54 AM
I've been browsing Performance-PCs website, and I think I'll be going with the Delta series of fans. If I got that Silverstone tower, I would put the two Dual-motor 120mm Delta fans on the top, and then another two 120mm Delta fans in the HDD cages- I'd also go with two of the highest CFM 92mm fans from Delta for the exhaust. Obviously with all those fans running at full speed my rig would be louder than a 747 at full throttle! :p So, I'm looking at getting this to contol the fans speeds:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=145_137&products_id=21006

What do you guys think? Is Delta a good company for case fans? And how about that fan controller- is it a decent one?

Sorry for so many questions, but when it comes to these kinds of components I'm a bit of a n00b. :o

Thanks again for your input! :D

Xion X2
03-05-07, 06:13 PM
If you're going w/ the Q6600, then I think that you should wait and decide on a motherboard at a later time. Jakup recently reported a fix for the low FSB's on the quads problem on the eVGA board, but with all the problems I and others have had with the 680is, I just can't recommend them to anyone.

And I'm too early in testing on this new hybrid board I have now to recommend it to anyone, either. Bios is too new and there is no quad testing to be found so far.

That P5N32-E SLI is going to be plagued with the same problems the rest of the 680is are, most likely. So for now I would just wait and see if a new board is released in the future that is more stable. And who knows.. one of these 650is like I have may turn out to be an excellent alternative.

As far as memory, don't spend too much time/money on it. Just get some solid sticks that can handle the speed that you plan to push them with your FSB on your mobo. Find out first what brand syncs best with the motherboard that you finally plan on getting. So this should probably wait until last after you've made a final choice on a board.

If you want to go water, then don't invest in one of these gimmick cases like the Thermaltake. Go custom, or go with a good kit like Swiftech or Dangerden makes. Thermaltake waterblocks are pure crap; lots of people have had them crack and spill on their components.

As far as a tower goes, that Silverstone is expensive, but if it's what you want it's what you want. But if you're going to invest that much money in it, I would make absolutely sure first that it will be compatible with whatever future upgrades you might have in mind.

Redeemed
03-07-07, 10:32 AM
If you're going w/ the Q6600, then I think that you should wait and decide on a motherboard at a later time. Jakup recently reported a fix for the low FSB's on the quads problem on the eVGA board, but with all the problems I and others have had with the 680is, I just can't recommend them to anyone.

And I'm too early in testing on this new hybrid board I have now to recommend it to anyone, either. Bios is too new and there is no quad testing to be found so far.

That P5N32-E SLI is going to be plagued with the same problems the rest of the 680is are, most likely. So for now I would just wait and see if a new board is released in the future that is more stable. And who knows.. one of these 650is like I have may turn out to be an excellent alternative.

As far as memory, don't spend too much time/money on it. Just get some solid sticks that can handle the speed that you plan to push them with your FSB on your mobo. Find out first what brand syncs best with the motherboard that you finally plan on getting. So this should probably wait until last after you've made a final choice on a board.

If you want to go water, then don't invest in one of these gimmick cases like the Thermaltake. Go custom, or go with a good kit like Swiftech or Dangerden makes. Thermaltake waterblocks are pure crap; lots of people have had them crack and spill on their components.

As far as a tower goes, that Silverstone is expensive, but if it's what you want it's what you want. But if you're going to invest that much money in it, I would make absolutely sure first that it will be compatible with whatever future upgrades you might have in mind.

Thanks man! Sorry for the delayed response, internet was down for the past couple days here. :(

Okay, I just have one question- what about that Thermaltake tower? What if I could get that exact tower without the water cooling kit? Would you recommend the tower then? To me that tower looks awesome, but so does that Silverstone. Infact, I've already started thinking of things I could do with that Silverstone to really trick it out.

But for that second build later this year, I would probably go with that Thermaltake unless you guys say otherwise. Would that Thermaltake be a good case without the water cooling kit?

Thanks for the feed back! :D

Xion X2
03-07-07, 03:17 PM
The TT looks like a nice case; just don't use its water-cooling solution. The side vents for the two side fans are an added bonus if you plan to stick to air-cooling.

Redeemed
03-07-07, 07:04 PM
The TT looks like a nice case; just don't use its water-cooling solution. The side vents for the two side fans are an added bonus if you plan to stick to air-cooling.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I figured. I was unable to locate that case on Newegg without the w/c kit- I'm gonna' keep looking though. So far, I must admit, I am liking the Silverstone case more. :D

Muppet
03-08-07, 02:02 AM
The Silverstone TJ07 is a fantastic case for Watercooling. I highly recommend it. It has more room inside than a 747 :D
As for the PSU's either would be good, i'm using the Silverstone 1Kw. So you may want to get the OCZ, i mean after all you don't want to completely copy my Rig(nana2)

Muppet
03-08-07, 02:04 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/PICT1061.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/PICT1058.jpg

Silverstone FTW :) :) :)

Redeemed
03-14-07, 10:36 PM
Nice Muppet! :D

Well, it turns out the issue with my internet was that our copper phone line could no longer carry the DSL signal. So instead of replacing the phone line we went with SuddenLink- which I'm beginning to think was a mistake.

Anyhow, for now I finally have teh internetz again. :p

So I do apologise for my delayed response.

I'm pretty much sold on that Silverstone case. I wont be water cooling, atleast not yet. Well, I still might get the FreeZone for the CPU but that'd be it.

Thanks for your input guys! :D

qube
03-15-07, 05:43 AM

look at this its nice

Redeemed
03-15-07, 09:18 AM

look at this its nice

That stacker is a nice case- but is just isn't for me. I've seen so many different rigs with the stacker case I'd hate to own one. I want something just as functional but yet with a different appearance. That Silverstone case is just that. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion though. In all honesty, I just might pick up a stacker case for a future build. Don't know. It is a very nice case though.