PDA

View Full Version : Readyboost and SD cards

Pages : [1] 2

saturnotaku
03-05-07, 07:52 AM
I want to use Readyboost with Vista. As my laptop only has three USB ports, I'd rather not tie one up with a thumb drive. The system does have an integrated SD card reader. Can Readyboost be used with that as opposed to a USB drive?

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 08:29 AM
no, it can't

it will not accept any form of card: sd, cf, ms, xd etc...

saturnotaku
03-05-07, 08:31 AM
That's dumb. Oh well. :(

Badboy_12345
03-05-07, 08:43 AM
are you sure... has someone tested?
I heard somewhere that some tried with an sd card and it worked.. maybe he meant usb mem but I dont know :p
Can anyone test with an SD card?

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 08:49 AM
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx

well maybe i was a bit unclear about it

Q: Do you support SD/CF/memory stick/MMC/etc.?
A: Mostly. In beta2, we added support for a small number of SD/CF cards on internal USB2 & PCIe busses. RC1 has a much broader support range.

Q: Why don't you support SD on my USB2.0 external card reader?
A: We unfortunately don't support external card readers - there were some technical hurdles that we didn't have time to address. In general, if a card reader shows a drive without media in it (like a floppy drive or CD ROM does), we can't use it for ReadyBoost.

most build in card readers are nothing more then USB hubs, that you can run 4 seperate types of card on single USB channel. so if you have one of those, it will not work.

i have a internal card reader, and it doesn't work, for the above reason i mentioned. for it to work, you need a device thats actually runs each type of card on seperate data channel.

Badboy_12345
03-05-07, 09:03 AM

well maybe i was a bit unclear about it

most build in card readers are nothing more then USB hubs, that you can run 4 seperate types of card on single USB channel. so if you have one of those, it will not work.

i have a internal card reader, and it doesn't work, for the above reason i mentioned. for it to work, you need a device thats actually runs each type of card on seperate data channel.

Yeah thats what I thought :p
I knew I read something about it somewhere :D

In general, if a card reader shows a drive without media in it (like a floppy drive or CD ROM does), we can't use it for ReadyBoost.

maybe he can see if he has that

saturnotaku
03-05-07, 09:07 AM
I have an external 11-in-1 reader that I use for my digital camera's compact flash cards. When I plug that in, it shows up in explorer as four new removable disk drives with their own letters. My laptop's built-in SD card reader does not do this. If I'm reading the above correctly, the integrated reader should work. But I guess there's only one way to find out. I'll pick up an SD card on my lunch hour today and try it.

Roliath
03-05-07, 09:47 AM
On the dell in my signature, when I put in an SD card (mainly from my phone) vista pops up that Readyboost feature or whatever.

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 09:50 AM
On the dell in my signature, when I put in an SD card (mainly from my phone) vista pops up that Readyboost feature or whatever.

it does that for device you plug in

Roliath
03-05-07, 10:05 AM
it does that for device you plug in
What do you mean?
I take the SD card outta my phone and plug it into the card reader and it pops up.

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 10:46 AM
What do you mean?
I take the SD card outta my phone and plug it into the card reader and it pops up.

it does it for my usb hard drive too. that doesn't mean that it will work.

einstein_314
03-05-07, 10:52 AM
I have an internal card reader that plugs into one of the USB headers on the motherboard. It works flawlessly with readyboost. I currently have a 2GB Sandisk UltraII SD card in it and it works.

saturnotaku
03-05-07, 11:07 AM
I currently have a 2GB Sandisk UltraII SD card in it and it works.

Does it have to be one of the Ultra II cards or do you think one of the cheaper ones would work as well?

einstein_314
03-05-07, 11:13 AM
Does it have to be one of the Ultra II cards or do you think one of the cheaper ones would work as well?
Check this website out. It's a list of cards that people have confirmed work/don't work.

http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/readyboost/

Roliath
03-05-07, 11:13 AM
it does it for my usb hard drive too. that doesn't mean that it will work.
Yeah I get what your saying, sorry (for my defense, its too early).
But yeah I've messed around with it and it runs a test and it did pass but I opt not to use it.

saturnotaku
03-05-07, 11:22 AM
Check this website out. It's a list of cards that people have confirmed work/don't work.

http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/readyboost/

Much obliged, good sir. Will be heading over to the going-out-of business CompUSA store by my office to try and snag a card on the cheap. :D

XDanger
03-05-07, 07:11 PM
Im confused by this information

I have one of these-
http://www.ledshoppe.com/Photo/Product%20photo/PICT0132.JPG

and a magicgate pro duo high speed 1gb

Will it work?
The reason I haven't tried already is that the card reader is sitting in my girlfriends pc and she gets annoyed when I open her up.

The pc that is...

einstein_314
03-05-07, 08:23 PM
Does that card reader use a header on the motherboard? Or a regular USB plug? If it uses a header then it should work fine. That's basically what mine is (except mine's a lian-li...)

As for the card, according to the website I posted a link to above, it will work.

So yes they should work for readyboost.

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 09:04 PM
i would say it won't because of this

In general, if a card reader shows a drive without media in it (like a floppy drive or CD ROM does), we can't use it for ReadyBoost.

einstein_314
03-05-07, 11:19 PM
i would say it won't because of this
Where is that quote from? Because my card reader shows 5 drives, which act like a floppy drive or CD ROM and it works fine. By works like a floppy drive do they mean that with no media in it, it still shows up but when you click on it it tells you theres nothing in it?

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 11:26 PM
Where is that quote from? Because my card reader shows 5 drives, which act like a floppy drive or CD ROM and it works fine. By works like a floppy drive do they mean that with no media in it, it still shows up but when you click on it it tells you theres nothing in it?

from here

from

Matt Ayers, who is the Program Manager in the Microsoft Windows Client Performance group and basically owns the ReadyBoost feature.

einstein_314
03-06-07, 10:15 AM
Ok well here's another quote from that same page...

Q: Do you support SD/CF/memory stick/MMC/etc.?
A: Mostly. In beta2, we added support for a small number of SD/CF cards on internal USB2 & PCIe busses. RC1 has a much broader support range.

XDanger
03-06-07, 10:39 AM
im going to try it now after I backup my psp data off the card

nekrosoft13
03-06-07, 10:58 AM
Ok well here's another quote from that same page...

yes, but most new laptop have a seperate sd or cf controller. its not the samething. just go to some store and look around in devide manager.

XDanger
03-06-07, 11:33 AM
Hmmm , NO DRIVER FOR A GENERIC USB CARD READER IN VISTA GGGRRRRRRRRR