PDA

View Full Version : GDC: Live gets Size Increase; New Memory Cards

|MaguS|
03-05-07, 10:41 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157706

An official press release from Microsoft confirms "an increase in the official size limit of Xbox LIVE Arcade games from 50 MB to 150 MB,"(not the 250 MB we previously reported) and the new memory unit will be (as expected) 512MB. Hitting stores April 3rd, 360 core users should expect to pay $49.99 for the 512MB card. The original 64MB card will drop ten bucks to $29.99 at the same time.

While I like that MS raised the limit, its still not that high. Already Castlevania has broken it at 250MB and it hasn't even released yet. As for the Memory Card release... Lets just say that im glad I can use any Memory Stick in my PS3 (and any SD Card in the Wii), prices are far better on those then what MS is charging.

Wonder how quickly we will see games taking advantage of the greatest size limitation.

evilchris
03-05-07, 10:57 AM
I might buy that memory card. HDD failure would suck...

saturnotaku
03-05-07, 11:03 AM
I might buy that memory card. HDD failure would suck...

In the midst of my current 360 troubles, having the memory card has come in handy. Savegames are pretty small, as are gamer profiles. From now on, I'll be using the HDD for trailers and demos.

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 11:06 AM
that 50 bucks for 512mb

LurkerLito
03-05-07, 12:15 PM
Wow $50 for a 512MB memory card? The one in my Wii is 2gb and cost me $20 shipped. I could get another locally now for $17+tax.

Lyme
03-05-07, 12:24 PM
MS is charging quite the premium on the memory cards.. I wonder when someone will make a memory card adapter so you can simply plug in a sd card or such. I'd bet the interface is a industry standard one that has simply been placed in custom packaging.

Then again, if you have a wii. While Nintendo has been nice enough with sd cards and Wii save games, if you want to save a gamecube game you "need" a gamecube memory card.

|MaguS|
03-05-07, 12:40 PM
Then again, if you have a wii. While Nintendo has been nice enough with sd cards and Wii save games, if you want to save a gamecube game you "need" a gamecube memory card.

Thats no different from when playing PSX games on the PS2/PS3 you need a PSX memory card... but then again those memory cards now are dirt cheap... not $50.

Hex
03-05-07, 12:53 PM
Thats no different from when playing PSX games on the PS2/PS3 you need a PSX memory card... but then again those memory cards now are dirt cheap... not $50.

Actually if you play a psx game on the ps3 it saves to the virtual mem card on the HD.

Lfctony
03-05-07, 01:07 PM
Actually if you play a psx game on the ps3 it saves to the virtual mem card on the HD.

What he said...

|MaguS|
03-05-07, 01:32 PM

But the virtual memory card is still restricted to standard memory card limits aswell as you can only have two memory cards accessible at any time. I know you don't have to physically buy the memory cards but you still are using specific virtual memory cards for that given system, its not like your just saving to the HD like on the X360 (which allows you to save your Xbox titles normally without having to create a virtual HD for it).

Serath
03-05-07, 03:12 PM
I say... why pay 50 bux for 512mb when you pay 100 (2x50) for 20GB...

brady
03-05-07, 03:30 PM
This is the one issue that really bothers me about the 360. They've got this thing locked down too tight. 50$ for 512mb is insane. You can by USB thumb drives of the same size for a 1/4 that. Don't even get me started on HD size/$. I was checking out the ps3forums and saw a thread about some guy who's using a 500gb HD with his PS3.

I'm probably not going to buy a ps3 in the near future (or far future) simply because I don't have the cash. I enjoy my 360 games very much, but I would just love to be able to tinker around a little more. C'mon Microsoft!