PDA

View Full Version : 3700+ 939 to e6400/680i

SeriTonin
03-05-07, 12:07 PM
I had a choice to make.

I was going to either get a fx-60, max out the best cpu for the 939 and also buy a 8800gts 640mb and pray I could get through crysis or do what I decided.....get a new mobo with future capabilities, a dual core cpu and ddr 2 memory and just sit on the 7900 gtx I have until ati shows their hand.

I'm happy i'm building it this way. I should have enough $$ to buy a dx10 card by June. I'll see what's what then, but for now let me say, WOW.

Best example of what the cpu upgrade does for my "old" card....Oblivion. 1280x1024 0xaa 8xaf high quality, all in-game settings maxed, with the old a64 3700+ early in the game I was hitting spots where the frames went as low as 11fps. This stopped me from ever really getting into the game.

With the e6400 and same video card, spots that were 11fps are now 36fps. Talk about bringing new life to my card. (this is @ stock)

I also noticed noticable gains in condemend and call of duty 2.

I also went ahead and re-installed XP. Vista can kick my arse until a dx10 game forces me to use it.

All in all, happy I went this way. Once I grab a dx10 gpu I can only imagine th sizable gains that will be reached.

Dazz
03-05-07, 12:59 PM
Yeah going from a single core to a dual core makes quite a diffrence in most modern games and will be the same for Quad once that picks up. Huge diffrences between 4 cores and 2 in Supreme Commander around 70%. So somthing good to look forward too and was shocked that they did it not too long after release of quad cores. With rumors of quads being used in Crisis etc they are looking more and more tempting. Although of course the video card will matter most in this game.

SeriTonin
03-05-07, 01:55 PM
Yeah, thats exactly why I upgraded this way. I figured maxing out the 939 with a dual core fx-60 is fine for now, but come quad im gonna have to re-build anyways. So I went ahead and grabbed a 680i so im ready for quad core when the price is right.

Still amazes me, the difference in Oblivion.

ASUSEN7900GTX
03-07-07, 03:39 AM
well iīm going from A64 3700+ to E6600 with a 8800GTS i should be set for crysis :)

well shall be interesting enough

:)

CaptNKILL
03-07-07, 07:48 AM
Still amazes me, the difference in Oblivion.
Every time I read something like this I start reaching for my wallet. Oblivion is one of those games that will continue to make me upgrade until it runs at 60+fps all the time (probably in 3 years :p).

I like my current system but once the core 2 prices drop and I get an idea for a nice solid 775 setup, I'm switching. I just wish I knew someone that was looking for a kick ass 939 system. I could probably still get $400 for my CPU, mobo and RAM, and that would almost completely pay off my upgrade to core 2.

ASUSEN7900GTX
03-07-07, 09:36 AM
well if ya want it ot run at 60+fps lower the settings then itīll run smooth

but then again who would wanna do that hehehe

:)

nV`andrew
03-07-07, 10:44 AM
Every time I read something like this I start reaching for my wallet. Oblivion is one of those games that will continue to make me upgrade until it runs at 60+fps all the time (probably in 3 years :p).

I like my current system but once the core 2 prices drop and I get an idea for a nice solid 775 setup, I'm switching. I just wish I knew someone that was looking for a kick ass 939 system. I could probably still get $400 for my CPU, mobo and RAM, and that would almost completely pay off my upgrade to core 2.

yeah im in the same boat as you. im saving up for a professional video camera for snowboarding films but i also want to build a new pc :(