PDA

View Full Version : it's finally time!

$n][pErMan
03-05-07, 01:30 PM
Well, I graduate college here in 2 weeks and also will start my full time job. Im now finally in position to upgrade the way I want and do good with it! Only problem is while I know whats out I have hardly had time to look through all the problems people have had and also what works best. So I am asking you guys what mobo/memory/CPU combo you think I should get. Also worth noting... I plan on doing some overclocking as I always have. I also already know I will be getting a nVidia 8800 GTX (but I dont plan doing SLi and might upgrade this card later on).
Thanks! :)

superklye
03-05-07, 01:51 PM
Wait until the end of April so you can snag a Core 2 Q6600 for ~$530. :D

einstein_314
03-05-07, 02:04 PM
Wait until the end of April so you can snag a Core 2 Q6600 for ~$530. :D
QFT! That's my plan!

I've been doing a bunch of research lately for my upgrade. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a C2D Q6600 on a Asus P5B-Deluxe Mobo and a 8800GTX. As far as RAM, I'm undecided. I'm also going to be getting a coolermaster stacker 832 case, a silverstone zeus 750W powersupply. That's about it I guess...I have everything else from my current rig that I'll just carry over (HD's, X-Fi Fatal1ty, etc.)

superklye
03-05-07, 02:21 PM
I have to recommend getting the Super Talent I have in my sig (my review is linked to the listing). It's FANTASTIC RAM with amazing timings (4-4-3-8 1T @800MHz) with lots of OCing potential.

I was able to get it up to 999MHz and get into Windows, but my CPU was overheating too much for me to test. :(

einstein_314
03-05-07, 02:36 PM
I have to recommend getting the Super Talent I have in my sig (my review is linked to the listing). It's FANTASTIC RAM with amazing timings (4-4-3-8 1T @800MHz) with lots of OCing potential.

I was able to get it up to 999MHz and get into Windows, but my CPU was overheating too much for me to test. :(
That is actually one I am considering. Only problems is that I can't find anywhere to buy it in canada....

superklye
03-05-07, 02:55 PM
That is actually one I am considering. Only problems is that I can't find anywhere to buy it in canada....
boo hiss!

Newegg won't ship to Canada?

einstein_314
03-05-07, 03:09 PM
boo hiss!

Newegg won't ship to Canada?
Nope. It's unfortunate really...although NCIX.com has been great. But there are just some things they don't have. But I can't find that super talent RAM ANYWHERE in canada?!? WTF is up with that?!?

EDIT: I just hit up the Super Talent website and checked out their "where to buy" section...it appears there aren't any retailers in canada....that sucks. Now to find a US one that will ship to canada...

EDIT2: Ok so it looks like the only store other than newegg that carries it is etech4sale.com....and they do ship to canada. But the RAM is $370?!?!?!? It's only $209 at the egg!! That sucks...maybe I need to find somebody to buy it for me in the states....and ship it to me....

$n][pErMan
03-05-07, 03:58 PM
QFT! That's my plan!

I've been doing a bunch of research lately for my upgrade. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a C2D Q6600 on a Asus P5B-Deluxe Mobo and a 8800GTX. As far as RAM, I'm undecided. I'm also going to be getting a coolermaster stacker 832 case, a silverstone zeus 750W powersupply. That's about it I guess...I have everything else from my current rig that I'll just carry over (HD's, X-Fi Fatal1ty, etc.)
Not a bad plan on waiting... I suppose 1 more month is not goingt to kill me... but that money is so going to burn a hole in my pocket .. lol. I am debating though wheether or not to get a 1KW power supply though. I have about 4 SATA II hard Drives I want to use and I plan on overclock my video card, CPU and memory as much as I can on air cooling. I have not heard much about the 1kW supplies though so im not sure if they are reliable or not.

Thats amazing... seeing as all the timings I have seen lately on htis site for that speed are like 4-4-4-16 or worse :p You know of any memory that has better timings then that? Maybe I have been out of the new tech loop for too long... anything over CAS 2.0 used to be crap.. I take it the timings on DDR2 with these high speeds are less of an issue?

einstein_314
03-05-07, 04:03 PM
[pErMan']Not a bad plan on waiting... I suppose 1 more month is not goingt to kill me... but that money is so going to burn a hole in my pocket .. lol. I am debating though wheether or not to get a 1KW power supply though. I have about 4 SATA II hard Drives I want to use and I plan on overclock my video card, CPU and memory as much as I can on air cooling. I have not heard much about the 1kW supplies though so im not sure if they are reliable or not.

Thats amazing... seeing as all the timings I have seen lately on htis site for that speed are like 4-4-4-16 or worse :p You know of any memory that has better timings then that? Maybe I have been out of the new tech loop for too long... anything over CAS 2.0 used to be crap.. I take it the timings on DDR2 with these high speeds are less of an issue?
If you're not going SLI, you don't need a 1KW powersupply. Even with SLI'd 8800GTXs you don't need one. Although I wouldn't recommend anything under 850W...The silverstone zeus 850W is awesome apparently and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than 1KW powersupplies. Actually silverstone has a new 1KW supply out now...I wonder if it's any good...

superklye
03-05-07, 04:34 PM
[pErMan']Not a bad plan on waiting... I suppose 1 more month is not goingt to kill me... but that money is so going to burn a hole in my pocket .. lol. I am debating though wheether or not to get a 1KW power supply though. I have about 4 SATA II hard Drives I want to use and I plan on overclock my video card, CPU and memory as much as I can on air cooling. I have not heard much about the 1kW supplies though so im not sure if they are reliable or not.

Yeah, 4-4-3-8 is really good for DDR2 800. CAS timinings are still important, but I don't think i've seen anything lower than 3-3-3-8 (and I may even be making that up).

It's pretty card to keep the CAS low when the memory runs at such high frequencies. :(

stevemedes
03-05-07, 05:40 PM
I'd get this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146563

Crucial is the same company as Micron. So they're guaranteed to be D9GMH chips that will OC very well. Example, ive gotten mine as high as 1066 4-4-4.

ynnek
03-05-07, 06:08 PM
750 watts?

I was thinking of
seasonic s12 600 watt model

ds3 (although I might go with a diff mobo because I need Firewire)
q6600
8800 (GTS or GTX, not decided)
4 1 gig sticks of ram or 2 2gigs depending, nothing too fancy
p180 case
two hard drives
1 dvd drive, 1 dvd dl burner
x-fi xtrememusic and firewire card(depending on mb) (the only carryovers)
maybe a tv tuner card.. type/model unknown.

Never going SLI.. I'm not expecting that system to significantly change after I build it.. except for perhaps more mem, and maybe one of the optical drives swapped out for a different unit. I do complete rebuilds every 3 years.

Oh and no OCing. I have my reasons and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. :)

That should work? I'm thinking I shouldn't need a more powerful PS

stevemedes
03-05-07, 07:02 PM
750 watts?

I was thinking of
seasonic s12 600 watt model

ds3 (although I might go with a diff mobo because I need Firewire)
q6600
8800 (GTS or GTX, not decided)
4 1 gig sticks of ram or 2 2gigs depending, nothing too fancy
p180 case
two hard drives
1 dvd drive, 1 dvd dl burner
x-fi xtrememusic and firewire card(depending on mb) (the only carryovers)
maybe a tv tuner card.. type/model unknown.

Never going SLI.. I'm not expecting that system to significantly change after I build it.. except for perhaps more mem, and maybe one of the optical drives swapped out for a different unit. I do complete rebuilds every 3 years.

Oh and no OCing. I have my reasons and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. :)

That should work? I'm thinking I shouldn't need a more powerful PS

The seasonic 600watt would be a nice match for that system.

If you need firewire, dont ever want SLI, and want a good quad core board, get the Asus P5B Deluxe. Others to consider are Asus Commando and Abit QuadGT.

Also, if I can make a suggestion on the RAM, if you dont want to overclock, look on newegg. Gskill makes some cheap DDR800 with 4-4-4 timings, which would be nice for your uses.

Here's a link to the ram im talking about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231087

$n][pErMan
03-05-07, 10:23 PM
I'd get this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146563

Crucial is the same company as Micron. So they're guaranteed to be D9GMH chips that will OC very well. Example, ive gotten mine as high as 1066 4-4-4.
Nice find.... but it says 5-5-5-15 .. which is pretty high on the timings. Did you just get a lucky batch or is your timings fairly easy to get with more voltage? Also... do you all think I should go for 2 2gig sticks for a total of 4gigs? I don't mind spending the extra money if its worth it.... but at the same time... will it hurt my overclocks? I also still need to look at the Super Talent (4-4-3-8 1T @800MHz) that was mentioned earlier too.

stevemedes
03-05-07, 10:46 PM
[pErMan']Nice find.... but it says 5-5-5-15 .. which is pretty high on the timings. Did you just get a lucky batch or is your timings fairly easy to get with more voltage? Also... do you all think I should go for 2 2gig sticks for a total of 4gigs? I don't mind spending the extra money if its worth it.... but at the same time... will it hurt my overclocks? I also still need to look at the Super Talent (4-4-3-8 1T @800MHz) that was mentioned earlier too.

It's rated at 5-5-5, buts that just because the megahertz are so high. The RAM is guaranteed to be D9 chips. I simply set the timings to 4-4-4 and enjoy =). Ive gotten as high as 1066 4-4-4, which is damn fast. Those are some of the best O/Cing ram you can get. Your basically guaranteed to be able to run 800mhz 3-3-3, 1000mhz 4-4-4, or as high as 1200 5-5-5.
Super talent also makes very good ram, but im not sure about that particular set. If you want to get the D9 chips you got to really do some research first.

Check out these forums for the best info on memory ive found on the net so far:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164

$n][pErMan
03-07-07, 10:42 AM
Alright.. so far here is the definate parts I am going to get:

-Asus P5B-Deluxe Mobo (great find!)
-Super Talent T800UX2GC4 (however I am debating this as it only has a 1 year warrenty... I might go with OCZ again).
-Q6600 or an E6600 (what do you guys think, clearly the quad costs a ton more, is it really worth the extra cost?)
-2 Samsung SpinPoint T HD300LJ 300GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
-EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR e-GeForce 8800 GTX Superclocked 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card w/Dual DVI, HDTV-out Retail

A few questions.... would getting 4 gigs of ram be worth the money at this point? Also, CPU wise, Q6600 or E6600? I plan on overclocking any CPU I get, but is the quad even worth it at the moment. Or am I better off getting the E6600.. doing some OC'ing and then wait for the Quads to drop in price?

superklye
03-07-07, 10:49 AM
The quad is definitely going to be worth it. Overclocking is usually possible...adding additional cores is not. ;)

$n][pErMan
03-15-07, 08:30 PM
Alrighty.. I have gone over things one more time and also took in cost justification. I have decided that below is probably the best bang for my buck (note I decided to go GTS because I can't justify paying $200 more for a GTX when I can probably OC the GTS to GTX speeds, I also don't think for now the difference in the memory is going to matter to much to where I will notice it). My only question left now is.... do you think my current 500Watt PS will support this system. It has a rating of 32A on the +12V Rail. Let me know what you think about these specs... and if the price is right! ;) Also, if you think I could cut something back to save money or need to buy slighty higher to get a bigger punch let me know too. I want this system to be able to play Crysis and UT2K7 with no issues :)

-ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
-e-GeForce 8800GTS 640MB Superclocked
-Intel® Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe Processor 2.4GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 4MB Cache Retail (I plan to OC this puppy like mad! Then buy a Q6600 when the prices drop in April)
-OCZ OCZ2P800LP2GK 2GB Kit DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum DFI Special Dual Channel Memory (4-4-4-15 @ 1T)
-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

Total Cost = $1218.00

$n][pErMan
03-16-07, 02:53 PM
Anyone? :) I hope to order everything I need tonight so it comes in next week but want to make sure its all good and I will not run into any problems first. Also add the Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink to the list ;)