PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been able to get geforce fx w/o preorder?

N.H.B
03-15-03, 09:56 PM
I want to buy the geforce fx card but I cant find it, can anyone? :banghead:

Thanks in advance

sebazve
03-16-03, 12:18 AM
keep looking i hardly think youll see one *cough voodoo 6 cough*

jAkUp
03-16-03, 12:19 AM
i found two:D i got one of them though... they are not officially realeased yet though... you might be able to get one if you know somebody

bmg
03-16-03, 12:38 AM
Newegg got a bunch of PNY fx ultra's in Friday morning. They're down to 1 left (Saturday at Midnight).

scott123
03-16-03, 06:55 AM
I canceled my pre-order FX. Last week I pre-ordered a 9800 Pro. I'm skipping a Nvidia product cycle or two until they get it together with a worthy product.

Scott

Onde Pik
03-16-03, 08:18 AM
Can I ask why you would even go through the effort of finding one. I find it really hard to justify buying one.

creedamd
03-16-03, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by N.H.B
I want to buy the geforce fx card but I cant find it, can anyone? :banghead:

Thanks in advance

why? Somethings are better off hidden.

N.H.B
03-16-03, 10:02 AM
I have had nothing but issues with my radeon 9700 pro working with my asus p498x mobo. All I have been getting is constant freezes in about 1 or 2 minutes of playing. I dont know if this will fix it, it may not. Well there you are. :ass:

sbp
03-17-03, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by N.H.B
I have had nothing but issues with my radeon 9700 pro working with my asus p498x mobo. All I have been getting is constant freezes in about 1 or 2 minutes of playing. I dont know if this will fix it, it may not. Well there you are. :ass: Also read the other thread where you tried various things. :/

As you know the Asus P4S8X mobo was not the paradigm of stability when it came out. DaveW returned his. The latest BIOS flash was supposed to have helped out.

Anyways hope everything gets sorted out N.H.B

Skinner
03-17-03, 10:03 AM
I'm still bluddy unable to get one, too bad Newegg don't ship oversea, so it's easier to find gold then to buy an FX :(

N.H.B
03-17-03, 05:11 PM
Well I damned if I let this mobo mess my creation up, I ordered a shuttle as45gtr mobo with all the same stuff. Maybe it will not fix my problem and maybe I wasted 100 bucks who knows but this board also has supports everything the p4s8x boards does with the same chipset. The only things is there is a lot less bios updates...... Maybe this is a good thing, maybe this board doesnt need all the bios updates asus p4s8x has???? I also ordered the geforce fx ultra 5800 OEM because maybe it will work with the asus board, If so Ill just built two systems. These boards should last about a year in terms of being able to upgrade or push them. Well let you guys know how it turns out later this week when I get the stuff. Out:nutkick:

CurtMan
03-17-03, 06:04 PM
Best Buy cancelled my BFG preorder so I had to go out and get a Radeon 9700 Pro. Luckily CompUSA had it on sale for $300 so I lucked out. I dont' mind saving a hundred bucks.

I'm disappointed I never got to try the FX 5800 Ultra. Oh well. I do wonder why Best Buy cancelled my order though.

N.H.B
03-17-03, 08:43 PM
Curtman newegg might have some in stock still, but it sounds like you already got a real good card.:thinker:

ricercar
03-19-03, 12:38 AM
I ordered a PNY OEM GeForce FX 5800 Ultra from newegg.com 9AM on 3/14 without pre-order (sort of an impulse buy). Arrived 10AM on 3/18.

It's quite wrong to believe they're not available or not released. This card is merely in extremely limited supply. Newegg has three cards in and out of stock. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=geforce+fx+ultra

The eVGA NV92 has been in stock at least once, the PNY Retail 5800 Ultra has been in stock twice while I've been watching, and the PNY OEM 5800 Ultra went from NO stock to YES stock while I was writing this message, which makes it the second time newegg has stock of this card.

N.H.B
03-19-03, 05:34 AM
Ricecar so what do you think about the card?????:headbang:

N.H.B
03-19-03, 06:24 AM
Ricecar is the fan intake as loud as it was when the reviews came out last year 4th qtr???? Nvidia said it would be toned down.?.?:nutkick:

ricercar
03-19-03, 11:19 AM
the fan
On my PNY consumer card the fan is throttled so it's only loud when the 3D engine is active. When I played with a reference board at Christmas, the fan was full-on all the time so it was totally inappropriate for a living room computer.

This is a much-needed improvement; for example right now it's as quiet as any video card, but when I run UT2003 or 3DMark, the FXFlow fan gets as loud as a box I had with 6 fans going. The rumors of vaccuum-cleaner volume are misleading.

Benchmarking
3DMarks are acceptable for an untweaked totally stock nForce2 Barton 3000 system:

3DMark2003 = 3286
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=459302

3DMark2001 = 16214
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6182402

2-slots
My nForce2 system is a Shuttle SN41G2 box, so I had to take the cover off the Shuttle and dremel a flange to make the card fit by sticking out the side. I also had to remove the PCI slot covering fromthe video card. I plan to mod the Shuttle for a permanent installation with a cutout for the FXFLow. I'm imagining something that might look like an intake on the hood of a fast car.

defective
Unfortunately the card appears defective. About 1 in 3 attempts to run 3DMark ends with a garbled screen that only a restart will fix. Never seems to happen in UT2003, just 3DMark 2001 & 2003.

I don't know if this is a heat-related problem, but the card was fine overnight in 2D mode. Only in 3D mode was there any problem. I'm somehwat baffled because there isn't any apparent relationship regarding coldboot vs. warm boot. The card works some times and other times it fails.

Good thing NewEgg has a great RMA process. Bad thing is that with such limited supply, I may not get a replacement from NewEgg before I could buy one locally in the SF bay area. Feh.

EDIT: spelling

Myrmecophagavir
03-19-03, 11:57 AM
Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/) finally has some in stock in the UK! Must have gone up early this week. It's the PNY 5800 Ultra, for 356 (!) They claim to have 4 now, 23 on 1-3 days stock.

BladeRunner
03-19-03, 12:00 PM
ricercar

Did you take any note of the ram sink temp as this might be part of the problem. Of the two FX ultras I've had, (one an early sample like you had that was partly dead, the other a later throttling example), I measured a max of 78c on the backside ram sink. Maybe it's designed to run this hot but if the sink is 78c there's a good chance the chips are more than 80c and that is over double what I like to see anything in my PC get too..........

Solomon
03-19-03, 12:06 PM
Ricecar, I liked how you modded your case to fit the card in, but you have overlooked a serious problem that plagued even the R300. Your powersupply is only rated at 200watts. I would suggest if it's possible to test the card in a tower case or a friends computer.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

ricercar
03-19-03, 01:18 PM
I had not considered power supply. That;'s a good possibility and demands testing before I RMA.

3DMark2001 ran perfectly fine in my Athlon 1600 system when I was checking the card for DOA. Scored a mere 9600 3DMarks, but didn't show any signs of screen garbling with its Antec 350W PS.

Unfortunately, my only nForce2 box is the SFF Shuttle. I want to keep the NV30 in the Shuttle for performance reasons. I'll remove the PCI wireless NIC and maybe even power down the CDROM to keep the performance video card in my performance motherboard.

azanon
03-19-03, 02:56 PM
I probably wouldnt touch the ultra versions of these - with that biga$$ cooler, its obviously just an overclocked video card with a "normal" frequency much less than what they run at. If you really want one of these, i suggest playing it safe and getting the non-ultra version of the 5800 - it'll still have all the features.

I say this from recent experience with a ti4600 - i had one go bad on me cause it'd lock up or kick me to windows .... but downclocking it actually fixed the problem - again, further emphasizing that the way you can look at these speed binned chips is that the faster ones are pseudo overclocked ones and potentially more prone to overheat and fail.

N.H.B
03-19-03, 05:13 PM
Well gentlemen I just received my geforce fx ultra 5800. Its a monster!!! Im gonna install it after I uninstall the radeon 9700 pro drivers. I hope this fixes my games freezing and kicking me back to my desktop. The shuttle as45gtr sis 648 mobo is on stand by here in my computer room just in case the gffx doesnt solve my problems. This asus p4s8x mobo I have still has issues even after all the bios updates and ati cat drivers on my radeon. Well wish me luck.......

Skinner
03-20-03, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Myrmecophagavir
Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/) finally has some in stock in the UK! Must have gone up early this week. It's the PNY 5800 Ultra, for 356 (!) They claim to have 4 now, 23 on 1-3 days stock.

Thanx, but offcourse I was just to late....