PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live; not free?

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
03-05-07, 05:46 PM
Welp more hints are releasing that MS is going to have two levels of Windows Live, Gold and Sliver like the Xbox. The newest hint comes from Shadowrun trailer...

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4512/mediaqn8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157724

Now this can be taken two ways, one that it requires a Windows Live Gold Account to play cross platform or that it requires Windows Live Gold Account to play online. Either way it will hurt more then help, theres nothing that Windows Live can offer that is not already available on the PC...

Stoneyguy
03-05-07, 06:12 PM
So I would have to pay to play against whinney little 360 kids?.... no thanks I'll pass.

Edge
03-05-07, 07:31 PM
I believe they're currently considering two ideas for having a "gold" and "silver" Live system for Windows:

Option 1: silver accounts cannot play online at all but have access to the other "live" features (whatever that would be)

Option 2: silver accounts can play online with Gold members, but cannot host games, cannot use voice chat (although they can still hear voice chat from Gold members), and have a few other restrictions.

That seems to imply that they'd be using option 1.

NaitoSan
03-05-07, 09:34 PM
since I'm using gold membership on xbox360, i don't have to worry about it on pc. it already said cross plaform play requires xbox gold live account or games for windows live gold account. so it's for anyone who doesn't have account for either so i don't thin kit's a bad thing.

|MaguS|
03-05-07, 09:37 PM
since I'm using gold membership on xbox360, i don't have to worry about it on pc. it already said cross plaform play requires xbox gold live account or games for windows live gold account. so it's for anyone who doesn't have account for either so i don't thin kit's a bad thing.

I hope they allow Gold Members to share their account between PC and X360 but Im really douting this is the case. Why should MS do such a thing when they can get more out of people...

stjuart
03-05-07, 09:38 PM
They[MS] sure know how to kill something before it launches.

NaitoSan
03-05-07, 09:46 PM
I hope they allow Gold Members to share their account between PC and X360 but Im really douting this is the case. Why should MS do such a thing when they can get more out of people...
Oh I meant to add that in my post but yeah I really do think so... I mean we paid $50 for gold and we should be able to share account on Windows. Otherwise that'd be bad for everyone...

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 10:01 PM
and thats why i said live on windows is ****ing bad idea.

i hope it fails quick

tacos4me
03-05-07, 10:02 PM

It's the same service. I'm willing to bet that if you have a gold membership on your 360, you'll simply be able to login with the same "passport" (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days) that's tied to your 360 membership, and be able to use all the same features, see all your friends, and.. do whatever else the service allows on the PC.

I haven't been following it, but that makes sense to me, and I don't see how it could be done any other way. I can't see Microsoft charging another $50/year if you're already paying for the same service.

jAkUp
03-05-07, 11:26 PM
Wow that kinda sucks, but oh well, $50 a year is not that bad.

nekrosoft13
03-05-07, 11:27 PM
Wow that kinda sucks, but oh well, $50 a year is not that bad.

it is bad, when it was free before

just more money to feed MS.

knghtwhosaysni
03-05-07, 11:45 PM
I think a reasonable foreseeable solution is having a Gold membership include the cross-platform compatibility as well as all the other features of XBL, and maybe just keeping PC-to-PC play free.
Anyway, pretty much every game has the ability to use LAN, and it's fairly easy to set up a "fake" LAN over the internet, especially with a PC... I used to do it with the first Halo on Xbox.

edit: lol I wish there was a delete button here for when I make retarded posts like this :D Apparently you guys were already considering that you may just have to pay for cross-compatibility.
But yeah, I doubt MS would make us pay for PC-to-PC play. And cross-platform play hasn't been free before has it (I honestly can't think of any games that have been cross-platform at all, but whatever) so I don't think having to pay for that is too unreasonable.

kev13dd
03-06-07, 02:35 AM
I think that's a big reason that we don't have cross-platform gaming right now, or at least it's one of the reasons that no one mentions often

You can say "it's unfair for M/K vs controller" to high heaven, but that issue is as easily solved as eating pie- let there be console vs console only, and PC vs PC only, but also cross play for anyone who is brave enough. Means no one can bitch because they made the choice

What we havn't heard is "well we'd get bitched at when PC gamers are playing for free with paying players" but I do think it's a deep down serious reason that we havn't seen cross-platform multiplayer take form

As I see it, any company taking any steps is the right one. Maybe we have to pay, maybe we don't, but either way it's an eventual step towards cross-play, which is the right direction

K

Toss3
03-06-07, 02:42 AM

But then again, if they offer downloadable demos and other stuff like that, I don't see a problem with it. :) And having only one program for playing online, chat with friends etc. would also be a good thing. And an annual 50$ isn't THAT much.

I'm guessing the windows live thing will be a lot like media center. :)

Badboy_12345
03-06-07, 03:02 AM

when was it free to play online with x360 users??? :confused:
Of course regular online play will be free like always but playing with x360 user will cost some cash.

I just hope they are doing some high speed download service where I can download pc game demos and trailers as I already have an gold account.
Hate to have to search the net to find a good download site... and the speeds arent good at all..

Badboy_12345
03-06-07, 03:03 AM

well if its not the case then it will suck! They will get alot of heat from pc users who have an xbox gold account like me

nekrosoft13
03-06-07, 07:01 AM
i'm not paying for a stupid xbox account to play pc games.

CaptNKILL
03-06-07, 09:14 AM
Isn't Shadowrun currently the only game planned to have XBox vs. PC online capabilities?

Regardless... I think its in PC gaming's best interest for everyone to NOT pay microsoft for this. They are most likely going to be testing the waters to see how this turns out and they need to know we don't freaking like it. If they made it free and kept it that way, thatd be great. But charging for it is a no-no. We already pay out the ass for internet fees, we don't need to be paying more just to play a stinking first person shooter online.

nekrosoft13
03-06-07, 09:21 AM
wtf gonna justifly the cost? on xbox ok, they got the demos, movie trailers and other bull****.

but i can get all that on pc from other sources for free.

so this stupid live experiment better die

btw, i also don't want them to dumb down MP experience on PC.

ynnek
03-06-07, 01:10 PM
This thread is funny, cause on the other Windows Live beta thread, most people posting on that seemed to be for it..

vs this thread, against..

I also agree with alot of what people that are against it say... I'm not sold on reasons why I have to pay an extra $50-60 a year to play video games online.

a12ctic
03-06-07, 04:44 PM
If normal PC games are free to play PC to PC, why the **** would I pay to play with immature xbox kiddies?

ONER
03-06-07, 05:01 PM
If normal PC games are free to play PC to PC, why the **** would I pay to play with immature xbox kiddies?

QFT!!!

Excellent post!

kev13dd
03-06-07, 05:42 PM
QFT!!!

Excellent post!
Congrats on proving PC gamers can be just as immature as Xbox gamers

K

Imbroglio
03-06-07, 05:57 PM
yea i must admit, playing gears/crackdown/WE2007/nba2k7 online numerous times i've run into very few "kiddies", most of them were on gears, and the ones that were on there were being made fun of by everyone else in the server, i still have yet to be overrun with these so called "kiddies" that people that don't have xboxs complain about.

ONER
03-06-07, 06:44 PM
Congrats on proving PC gamers can be just as immature as Xbox gamers

K

In which way. How can the statement be justified. PATHETIC! ;) Feel free to explain yourself.

/Discuss.:captnkill: