PDA

View Full Version : Defragging vista in xp

XDanger
03-06-07, 11:18 AM
Can it be done or are the diffreent ntfs volumes not compatible in an xp/vista dual boot setup?
Vista runs the defrag at a low priority and even after like ages of defragging in vista the partition still shows up in xp as being very fragmented.

evilghost
03-06-07, 11:22 AM
Can't you just use this from cmdline in Vista:

start /MIN /HIGH defrag c:

grey_1
03-06-07, 11:56 AM
Or save yourself alot of time and hassle, grab a third party defragger. So far Diskeeper and Perfectdisk work very well for me.

It just sucks we have to pay for an acceptable alternative...

evilghost
03-06-07, 12:12 PM
It just sucks we have to use a filesystem that is prone to heavy fragmentation...

I fixed that for you... :)

mullet
03-06-07, 12:17 PM
evilghost Originally Posted by grey_1
It just sucks we have to use a filesystem that is prone to heavy fragmentation...

:udawg:

$n][pErMan
03-06-07, 12:19 PM
You can defrag Vista in XP ... no problems. Both are NTFS.

nekrosoft13
03-06-07, 12:25 PM
o&o defrag 8.6 is great

XDanger
03-06-07, 12:29 PM
[pErMan']You can defrag Vista in XP ... no problems. Both are NTFS.
I read somewhere they are different revisions of ntsf so was a bit hesitant

cmd usually tell me i need admin which is strange coz i only use 1 account which has admin rights

I use o&o on my gf's pc when it was highly fragged ,just as bad as windows for the amount of times I had to run it

grey_1
03-06-07, 12:30 PM
I fixed that for you... :)
Y'know, I was thinking that while typing. :) LoL.

einstein_314
03-06-07, 01:09 PM
I read somewhere they are different revisions of ntsf so was a bit hesitant

cmd usually tell me i need admin which is strange coz i only use 1 account which has admin rights

I use o&o on my gf's pc when it was highly fragged ,just as bad as windows for the amount of times I had to run it
You have to run CMD as an administrator (right click and "run as admin"). Then it should let you. I think you will get better results by defragging from vista (but using something other than the god aweful included defragger).

sothcom
03-06-07, 11:03 PM
Or save yourself alot of time and hassle, grab a third party defragger. So far Diskeeper and Perfectdisk work very well for me.

It just sucks we have to pay for an acceptable alternative...

I can vouch for PerfectDisk. It works great for me on both Vista (64bit Ultimate) and XP.