PDA

View Full Version : xp service pack 1. why didnt i need to install sata drivers ?

firehawk
03-06-07, 04:50 PM
i just popped in a wd raptor recently and for what ever reason it didnt see my sata drivers that i had on the floppy.

after windows just continued to install so i let it. everything seemed to work fine.

question?

why did my sata drive work with no drivers?

AdamK47
03-06-07, 05:37 PM
question?

What do you have against SP2?

firehawk
03-06-07, 09:31 PM
question?

What do you have against SP2?

lol, nothing.

i have a install cd for service pack 2 but my xp is old and is only service pack 1. i've been to lazy to go get blank disks to make a slipstream with it on it.

Starscream
03-06-07, 10:49 PM
Question?

Answer!

Most new boards don't have specific sata controller chips and don't usually need sata drivers during the xp install process.

CaptNKILL
03-07-07, 06:36 AM
Question?

Answer!

Most new boards don't have specific sata controller chips and don't usually need sata drivers during the xp install process.
Yup. :)

firehawk
03-07-07, 04:05 PM
ok. i decided to screw it and reinstall windows with the proper sata drivers during the install.

i got another question though....

when i go to sata controller in the control panel the fields are not filled in. my motherboard is a asus a8n 32 sli. it says there is no controller.

why?

iam asking this because after the change to sata iam getting hard drive lag in games. it really annoying. when i play quake 4 forward progression while walking has slight microsecond hiccups as the hdd loads stuff in. need for speed most wanted is the same deal. hl2 and episode 2 hiccup whenever a new set of enemies are loaded in

it very very annoying and i cant deal playing games like this.

einstein_314
03-08-07, 03:40 PM
ok. i decided to screw it and reinstall windows with the proper sata drivers during the install.

i got another question though....

when i go to sata controller in the control panel the fields are not filled in. my motherboard is a asus a8n 32 sli. it says there is no controller.

why?

iam asking this because after the change to sata iam getting hard drive lag in games. it really annoying. when i play quake 4 forward progression while walking has slight microsecond hiccups as the hdd loads stuff in. need for speed most wanted is the same deal. hl2 and episode 2 hiccup whenever a new set of enemies are loaded in

it very very annoying and i cant deal playing games like this.
I don't think that's a hard drive problem....can you post your system specs? It sounds more like a RAM issue, like not having enough...

firehawk
03-08-07, 07:20 PM
I don't think that's a hard drive problem....can you post your system specs? It sounds more like a RAM issue, like not having enough...

it's 2 gigs.

i have gone through and rma'd every possible piece of hardware i have except the ram and psu.