PDA

View Full Version : I Give Up -Vista Not Worth Anymore!

UberRN69
03-06-07, 07:27 PM
Well it's been a very frustrating 3 weeks for me.:rw: I'm finally giving up on Vista (64bit), at least for now. Overall my experience has been OK, and except for a few MAJOR issues, I would say Vista wasn't too bad.

Right off, I have to say I didn't have any problems with my 8800GTS, so as far as I'm concerned NVIDIA GPU's are not a problem in Vista.

My grief came from my X-Fi card and my motherboard.

When I first installed, I found that Vista was taking up a lot more RAM, so I found game play in COH and a few others unbearable, at least at the same settings as I have on XP.

So I up'd my RAM to 4GB of DDR400 (same stuff in my sig), only to find that my nForce4 board (at least on my GigaByte MB) drops my memory MHz from 400MHz to 200MHz when using 4 sticks of memory. There's no way around this one except, of coarse, to get a new board (AND new CPU and memory DDR2)

Then My X-Fi card which was experiencing some minor issues, went nuts and started hissing and cracking with any sound that was made. Multiple clean installs did not get rid of that.

Not to mention I also have to spend about $60 on updated software to work with Vista (Firewall, AV, some utilities).

All this just to get a "slicker, cool" interface, that at least for the moment, performs at best on par with what I had with XP.

I know a lot of folks have upgraded and haven't had any problems at all, but I've spent too much $$$ so for just to have what I'm having.

Anyway... I'm selling my OEM Vista 64 disk and the OCZ DDR400 2-3-2-5 memory over in the "For Sale" forum.

Since I pretty much need a new system to upgrade (that whole 4GB thing), I'll wait for my next upgrade about this time next year. By then Vista will be running smooth for sure.

grey_1
03-06-07, 07:39 PM
Being an "early adopter" has it's drawbacks for sure. I'm almost ready to wipe my Vista install out, heck I've never even activated it yet. :p

My bet is bugs will get squashed sooner rather than later on this one, but atm there's no real advantage to having it take up hdd space.

evilghost
03-06-07, 08:10 PM
I love it ;)

grey_1
03-06-07, 09:38 PM
I love it ;)
LoL, your just all a'twitter now, aint ya? :D

evilghost
03-07-07, 06:27 AM
LoL, your just all a'twitter now, aint ya? :D

Hehehe :)

Dr.Nick
03-07-07, 10:02 AM
I'd recommend running the 32bit version for now if possible. Both have their issues but 32bit is definitely ahead of the game(for now anyways)

Roliath
03-07-07, 03:51 PM
I'd recommend running the 32bit version for now if possible. Both have their issues but 32bit is definitely ahead of the game(for now anyways)
i agree. I've been using the 32bit version on my laptop for awhile now, and I just installed the 64bit version on my desktop which has given me WoW lock ups and other issues.
Although it's most likely a driver issue on nvidia's end.

Phyre
03-07-07, 03:54 PM
I was looking at going to Vista after reading this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/games.mspx

Then, I decided not to upgrade after reading here:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=Vista

So, now I'm just gonna move to Windows XP from Windows 2000. I still think Windows XP is too user friendly. If I had the time, I would go the LINUX route and get things working through there. I love *NIX, and feel bad for not keeping up with it more. Perhaps my old Win2K box will become my LINUX box! :)

Phyre

EDIT: I just purchased an XPS 710 which doesn't have a Vista option. I suspect because of the X-Fi issue. I was gonna build a machine, but the employee purchase program and discounts put the cost at about the same. Plus, I got a 3 year warranty.

DiscipleDOC
03-07-07, 04:31 PM
That's the very reason why I have not upgraded yet. I will wait for MS and their partners to get the drivers nailed down and then I will upgrade. For now, I am still installing WinXP on people machines.

I love bells and whistles, but I don't like headaches.:headexplode:

Dragunov
03-07-07, 05:35 PM
XP gives me too much errors and after working with Vista on my machine, I don't want to go back to XP, only if need to

six_storm
03-07-07, 08:15 PM
I love it ;)

Haha me too.

Mr Bigman
03-07-07, 09:22 PM
Sounds like people who are going to Vista with XFI's are looking for trouble, wow Creative started this gain and with those who use Nforce4 are in serious trouble.

grey_1
03-07-07, 09:27 PM
Haha me too.
Taggin along on daddies coattails I see? LoL. ;)

Smokey
03-08-07, 02:57 AM
Using Vista Ultimate 64 on my pc in sig, and I dont have any problems for the moment, but being an earlier adopter, you really have to expect that there may be some problems.

NaitoSan
03-08-07, 04:13 AM
I'm loving Vista on my laptop. I'm not having any problems and some games run a bit slower, due to driver's side.

Yeah, I recommand to use 32bit, not 64bit.

WeReWoLf
03-08-07, 05:50 AM
I love vista, apart from the lack of a few stable and performing drivers (non-beta at the very least), but i can't see myself going back to XP again.

grey_1
03-08-07, 07:47 AM
I love vista, apart from the lack of a few stable and performing drivers (non-beta at the very least), but i can't see myself going back to XP again.
It will eventually come around for sure. App compatibility (zone alarm for one) and solid driver support are whats holding me back atm.

UberRN69
03-09-07, 02:39 AM
Just wanted to add that I never though Vista itself was all that bad -except for the memory load issue. 1GB of memory to run the OS???!!!?? No wonder COH slowed down soo much.

My limitations came from my motherboard. 4 sticks of 1GB DDR400 =1/2 RAM SPEED (400MHz vs 200MHz), which I believe this was inherent in the nForc4 design. I'm pretty sure newer MB's don't have this issue (anyone with a DuoCore or AM2 board, verify this???)

If it was the memory issue only, I would have been fine. But the sound issues with my X-Fi drove me NUTS:banghead: :fu: EVERY sound that came out of my speakers had a hiss/crack to it. I did 3 clean installs!! To solve this would mean to disable my $130 sound card and go with my on-board sound. It seems the the X-Fi card will never be fully compatible with the new OS (too many drastic changes is the Windows sound stack).

It was at that point, that I figured, why all this hassel. I loved the new OS, but jumping through so many hoops. I just wanna play games. I'll upgrade for sure, but in about 9 months (when Crysis comes out).

XP is so boring compared to Vista, but XP is ROCK SOLID at least on my PC. I have never had issues, even with my 8800GTS, and everything works including my @#$&# X-Fi sound card.

CaptNKILL
03-09-07, 02:46 AM
I wasn't having a single problem with Vista until I installed nvidia's 101.41 betas, now even after reinstalling the 100.65 drivers I'm getting a crap load of driver resets and black\garbled screens.

I used Vista for 2 or 3 weeks straight without a single problem, then once I put those drivers in the whole thing went down hill and I've been back in XP for 2 days.

I think I might try cleaning out the drivers in Vista next because I'm already noticing all the conveniences that XP lacks.

I'm actually really surprised at how enjoyable it is to work with Vista, its just a damn shame the driver situation is the way it is... thats really hurting the OS more than anything else.

tornadog
03-09-07, 09:27 AM
I have issues with the one major thing I use on my XP right now which is Media Center to stream to my 360. On the Vista it crashes no matter what. I think its some combination of HW and SW incompatibility, especially with the transcode360 software. But everything works great on the XP. SO I wouldnt be going to Vista, till I upgrade my PC or something and that will be at least a year or more away!

XDanger
03-11-07, 04:02 PM
Why anyone would spend money on antivirus and firewalls is beyond me.