PDA

View Full Version : EA Predicts: Sony Console Dominance to Slide

Pages : [1] 2

Ruined
03-06-07, 09:40 PM
http://news.com.com/Sonys+console+dominance+to+slide,+EA+predicts/2100-1043_3-6164528.html

Electronic Arts, the world's biggest video game publisher, expects Sony's dominance over the console market to slip in the current hardware war, EA's outgoing chief executive, Larry Probst, said Monday.

Bman212121
03-06-07, 09:59 PM
http://news.com.com/Sonys+console+dominance+to+slide,+EA+predicts/2100-1043_3-6164528.html

The cause, EA's ****ty game lineup :D

Madpistol
03-06-07, 11:59 PM
The PS3 has enormous potential, but sony has seriously screwed up by selling the console at a net loss to start at. All Nintendo and Microsoft have to do is slash their prices a little bit and Sony will be at a major loss.

If sony wins this console war, it won't be by superior hardware alone.

thor1182
03-07-07, 07:59 AM
The PS3 has enormous potential, but sony has seriously screwed up by selling the console at a net loss to start at. All Nintendo and Microsoft have to do is slash their prices a little bit and Sony will be at a major loss.

If sony wins this console war, it won't be by superior hardware alone.

you do realize that the PS3 is NOT superior to the 360 in terms of hardware. In fact once you take everything into account, the 360 has a bit more usable computing and graphical power. What separates them is HDD size, High Def format options, controllers, and games currently released.

Madpistol
03-07-07, 08:13 AM
you do realize that the PS3 is NOT superior to the 360 in terms of hardware. In fact once you take everything into account, the 360 has a bit more usable computing and graphical power. What separates them is HDD size, High Def format options, controllers, and games currently released.

Have you taken a look at the specs of the PS3, namely the Cell processor? it has like 7 cores. The platform is superior, but it's incredibly hard to program on.

In terms of hardware, the PS3 IS superior. However, that doesn't mean games look better or even play better. The Xbox360 is much easier to program on, and thats why most developers choose that as the platform to develop on. The games on the 360 look better at the moment, but within a couple of years, I see the tides turning and the PS3 is going to have some sort of killer app with graphics that are superior to the Xbox360.

thor1182
03-07-07, 08:18 AM
um, no, its not. You really need to get your facts right. This is going to take some time to dig up all the information, but just know, that you are VERY wrong. The cell is actually the root in why the PS3 is superior in terms of hardware.

Peoples-Agent
03-07-07, 08:19 AM
Have you taken a look at the specs of the PS3, namely the Cell processor? it has like 7 cores. The platform is superior, but it's incredibly hard to program on.

In terms of hardware, the PS3 IS superior. However, that doesn't mean games look better or even play better. The Xbox360 is much easier to program on, and thats why most developers choose that as the platform to develop on. The games on the 360 look better at the moment, but within a couple of years, I see the tides turning and the PS3 is going to have some sort of killer app with graphics that are superior to the Xbox360.

It's not more powerful, and no it doesn't have "7 cores". LOL

Look at the specs again and see for yourself.

Another typical "Teh Cell" post.

I'd take raw power and nifty use of a unified architecture over that piece of liability anyday.

You really need to pay less attention to what other kids tell you at school.

contains the first production application of the Cell processor, clocked at 3.2 GHz and containing seven out of eight operational SPEs, in order to allow Sony to increase the yield on the processor manufacture. Only six of the seven SPEs are accessible to developers as one is reserved for OS security.

If I recall correct, it's infact a single core where as the 360 packs a triple core CPU.

The Xbox 360's CPU has more general purpose processing power because it has three general purpose cores, and Cell has just one.

Cell's claimed advantage is on streaming floating point work which is done on its seven DSP processors.

The Xbox 360 GPU has more processing power than the PS3's. In addition, its innovated features contribute to overall rendering performance.

Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. The PS3 has less than one-fifth of Xbox 360's (48 GB/s) of total memory system bandwidth.

CONCLUSION
When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment.

However, hardware performance, while important, is only a third of the puzzle. Xbox 360 is a fusion of hardware, software and services. Without the software and services to power it, even the most powerful hardware becomes inconsequential. Xbox 360 games—by leveraging cutting-edge hardware, software, and services—will outperform the PlayStation 3.

thor1182
03-07-07, 08:31 AM
woot I found it, here is a nice long thread for you to read so you can make informed comments about the hardware in each system.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33876428

If this goes over your head, I would stick trying to troll games of choice and refrain from commenting on the hardware, because we will just have to put you down again ;)

But just to pull a short bit of info out, the PS3 Cell is only required to have 7 of the 8 SPE's working, and one of which is completely allocated to the OS, so that leaves you with 6. The article does the math, but in the end the 360 CPU's in theory on paper have more power usable for games than the PS3 does.

There are also other articles out there that compare the graphics in more detail, but in the end the PS3's tends to lag behind in most raw comparisons.

ViN86
03-07-07, 08:50 AM
woot I found it, here is a nice long thread for you to read so you can make informed comments about the hardware in each system.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33876428

If this goes over your head, I would stick trying to troll games of choice and refrain from commenting on the hardware, because we will just have to put you down again ;)

But just to pull a short bit of info out, the PS3 Cell is only required to have 7 of the 8 SPE's working, and one of which is completely allocated to the OS, so that leaves you with 6. The article does the math, but in the end the 360 CPU's in theory on paper have more power usable for games than the PS3 does.

There are also other articles out there that compare the graphics in more detail, but in the end the PS3's tends to lag behind in most raw comparisons.
*looks at link.... looks at sig.....*

*points to "XBOX360 > PS3" in sig*

:bleh:

thor1182
03-07-07, 08:58 AM
your prolly the one who posted the link in the first place then. I didn't take credit for the facts in the article, just dug it back up....

OWA
03-07-07, 09:07 AM
Looks like some are starting to worry a little now that games are starting to arrive on the PS3. :p j/k

H3avyM3tal
03-07-07, 09:47 AM
Looks like some are starting to worry a little now that games are starting to arrive on the PS3. :p j/k

LMAO

Marvel_us
03-07-07, 10:31 AM

Nope, it's because the initial press reaction to what Sony showed last night was very good...at 10:30am Pacific we will know what Sony has been doing with their time.

thor1182
03-07-07, 11:52 AM
I've read through XBox360 vs PS3 hardware discussions a million times. Comparing the architectures of the two systems is like comparing apples and oranges. Each has its advantages, each has its disadvantages.

which is somewhat true, but to try and claim that the PS3 is the best from a hardware standpoint is just plain wrong.

evilchris
03-07-07, 12:16 PM
I think they're pretty much equal. It's nothing like the hardware dominance the Xbox held over the PS2.

Zelda_fan
03-07-07, 12:21 PM

It's really not even close. "7 cores" is a buzz word marketing throws around. When you look at the actual bandwidth and floating point power, you'll see that the 360's tricore is a little better than the 7 core "cELL."

evilchris
03-07-07, 12:26 PM
It's really not even close. "7 cores" is a buzz word marketing throws around. When you look at the actual bandwidth and floating point power, you'll see that the 360's tricore is a little better than the 7 core "cELL."
n0

w4y

OWA
03-07-07, 12:31 PM
It's really not even close.... you'll see that the 360's tricore is a little better than the 7 core "cELL."
:D

Zelda_fan
03-07-07, 12:33 PM
:D

compared to what he was saying (that the PS3 is superior) it really isn't close.

OWA
03-07-07, 12:39 PM
Okay, gotcha. :)

Peoples-Agent
03-07-07, 12:45 PM
Well, my C3LL will give me super powers. Ones that make me believe i'm literally sat next to a NASA mainframe capable of wiping out entire galaxies and you 360 fanboys are just envious.

J-Mag
03-07-07, 12:50 PM
The PS3 has enormous potential, but sony has seriously screwed up by selling the console at a net loss to start at.

What does that have to do with anything? Almost all consoles are sold at a net loss right off the bat these days (except maybe nintendo's).

Imbroglio
03-07-07, 01:10 PM
What does that have to do with anything? Almost all consoles are sold at a net loss right off the bat these days (except maybe nintendo's).

I believe ms makes a ~$45 profit off of each 360 sold. the ps3 is the only one operating at a loss. meaning for everything sony does to try to lower the price, nintendo and ms can lower as much if not more and still be at a better standing point than sony.

edit: nevermind, just realized that you said "off the bat" and not currently.

ENU291
03-07-07, 01:11 PM
I believe ms makes a ~$45 profit off of each 360 sold. the ps3 is the only one operating at a loss. meaning for everything sony does to try to lower the price, nintendo and ms can lower as much if not more and still be at a better standing point than sony.
As of September 06 the profit was $75 per 360.

Imbroglio
03-07-07, 01:12 PM
As of September 06 the profit was $75 per 360.

yikes, didn't realize it was that high.