PDA

View Full Version : Just another Full Retail vs. Upgrade question

sothcom
03-06-07, 11:13 PM
Hi,

I installed Vista 64bit Ultimate on my rig recently. I used a friend's copy to do the install. It has replaced my previous OS (XP Pro).

I opted not to enter a product key nor go through the activation, so basically it's in Trial mode for 30 days.

I'm happy with Vista, and now I want to buy it and activate it for myself. The question I have is, can I get away with just purchasing Vista Ultimate Upgrade, and use the supplied product key to activate, without having to re-install everything?

Or, to avoid having to re-install from scratch, do I need a Full Retail product key? Will it know the difference?

Thanks!

Stoneyguy
03-07-07, 01:16 AM
Yes you can use the key to activate your copy without doing a reinstall.

It does know the difference between the Full Retail and the Upgrade.

hokeyplyr48
03-07-07, 06:35 AM
wait so does that mean he has to buy the upgrade or the full version of ultimate for it to work?

Stoneyguy
03-07-07, 07:56 AM
wait so does that mean he has to buy the upgrade or the full version of ultimate for it to work?

Not enough information to answer that with certainty. If he upgraded from XP, then he can use the upgrade code without reinstalling. If he installed after a fresh format without XP, then he could only use the retail code without having to worry about reinstalling.

The best option that I can think of if you want to use an upgrade code on a version that you did a fresh install from is to use the Windows Easy Transfer and back up your settings. Then reinstall Ultimate from within itself, enter your code, and complete the Easy Transfer.