Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific is shiping 20 mars

qube
03-07-07, 01:11 PM
http://www.fz.se/nyhetsarkiv/?id=18210
hope you have a translator its in swedich
sorry the date was wrong its 22 mars

AlphaWolfII
03-08-07, 06:07 PM
There is a deluxe version being sold in Europe only. It comes with a DVD of soem older sub movies but it's coded for zone 2. Is there any way to get a zone 1 PC to play zone 2 DVDs?

AWII

agentkay
03-08-07, 07:55 PM
There is a deluxe version being sold in Europe only. It comes with a DVD of soem older sub movies but it's coded for zone 2. Is there any way to get a zone 1 PC to play zone 2 DVDs?

AWII

Yes, you can rip the DVD with DVDShrink or DVD Decrypter and make it regionfree, or you can use AnyDVD, when its activated it automatically removes the region code when you start the DVD in Media Player or whatever DVD player you are using.

methimpikehoses
03-08-07, 07:59 PM
Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific is shiping 20 mars

I've had my eye on this one for a while... I hope it plays as well as the first one, the screenies definitely look great.

AlphaWolfII
03-13-07, 11:43 AM
First, thanks for the feedback.

I decided not to buy the Deluxe version after all. It costs $100 and probably would take weeks for me to get it. Then, I also figured that the only extra I wanted was the video and $50 for some video seemed crazy.

Then I was thinking about the downloaded version. Plus - you could play as soon as the game is released. Negative - it cost the same as the boxed version and you don't get any of the printed material (manual, ID book, etc.).

So I guess I'll take my chances and pre-order it at EB. Not to happy with Ubi for not having the deluxe available in the US and not including printable verions of the manual etc. with the download. But, I'll cut them some slack because they finally moved the game back to where it belongs - IN THE PACIFIC!!!''

AW

qube
03-13-07, 02:21 PM
are Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific a dx 10 game if it is
it will be the first dx 10 title out

agentkay
03-13-07, 02:24 PM
Itīs not a DX10 game. It has a DX9 SM3.0 rending path though. Wolves of the Pacific was originally planned as expansion for SH3 but they decided to make a full release out of it because the theme is quite different (US sub instead of German sub, etc.).

iron99
03-13-07, 02:29 PM
Good news indeed :). SH3 was excellent!

Thanks for info!R

stjuart
03-14-07, 02:21 AM
Sadly its already out on torrent sites, I plan on buying this game too, even though I haven't played silent hunter 3 a lot, maybe 6 hours total. But ill probably give it another go and learn how to play before i buy the 4th game. The only thing stopping me from playing the 3rd and 4th game is time, I purchased like 8 games this past two weeks, resident eveil 0 and redsident evil for the gamecube, and beyond good and evil for xbox, plus thief 1 and 2, and hitman 2, and contracts, oh and Lord of the rings battle for middle earth, I dont know which games to finish first. But as soon as i get my spring brake I might buy it.

AlphaWolfII
03-14-07, 04:30 PM
Sadly its already out on torrent sites,

Not familiar with the term, but I suppose this means it's available for illegal downloads?

Personally, it is my philosophy that I like to get paid for the work I do. I imagine that game programmers like to get paid for the work they do, too.

I'll wait and purchase.

AW

Nv40
03-14-07, 05:33 PM
THe graphics are awesome ,the gameplay could be too ,but unfortunately the naval war in pacific is anything but exciting..

Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine , since japan lost their airforce backing up their naval fleet very soon in the conflict ,neither they had radars or developed early antisubmarine warfare .So your enemy in SH4 will be one that for most of the time will not be able to see you ,neither atack if you are underwater. i think american subs were more used for target practice againts merchants ships.To showcase that they also had Germany most sucessfull weapon in the second war. This game while graphically impressive doesnt have 1/10 of the challenges faced by germans U-boats in second world war . Historically speaking could be worse ,i mean did americans ever lost submarines in real battles in that war ?

They can however make a more arcadish game and give Japan technology they never had in the conflict , but thats kills the realism ,the reason it makes more fun the game.

Hopefully someone will make a mod to bring back the fight to the atlantic. perhaps ..wishfull thinking .

AlphaWolfII
03-14-07, 06:39 PM
Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine

You ignorance of the subject is quite breathtaking.

US submarines sank 55% of the total tonnage while accounting for 1.6% of the fleet. In addition to sinking the Shinano (the largest carrier built during the war), they sank 214 naval ships & submarines. All while plagued with inferior torpedoes.

So your enemy in SH4 will be one that for most of the time will not be able to see you ,neither atack if you are underwater

Yet somehow Japan managed to sink 52 submarines at the cost of 4,023 lives.

doesnt have 1/10 of the challenges faced by germans U-boats in second world war

I'll take Mush Morton or Dick O'Kane against any nazi ANYTIME!!

AW

Nv40
03-14-07, 07:13 PM
Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine

You ignorance of the subject is quite breathtaking.

US submarines sank 55% of the total tonnage while accounting for 1.6% of the fleet. In addition to sinking the Shinano (the largest carrier built during the war), they sank 214 naval ships & submarines. All while plagued with inferior torpedoes.

So your enemy in SH4 will be one that for most of the time will not be able to see you ,neither atack if you are underwater

Yet somehow Japan managed to sink 52 submarines at the cost of 4,023 lives.

doesnt have 1/10 of the challenges faced by germans U-boats in second world war

I'll take Mush Morton or Dick O'Kane against any nazi ANYTIME!!

AW

Again Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine.. Subs only helped to make things easier for *their already powerfull surface fleet *. You seems to believe that without american subs ,the americans navy surface fleet had never suceed againts japan navy. a Navy that had not very effective radar ,sonar or anti submarine warfare an until very late in the war and that was greatly outnumbered 10 to 1 in battleships . :rolleyes:

The major challenges and casualties by far for the americans were made by the battles on land and and by the japan kamikaze airforce. Once you lose your airforce so quick in the battle ,your surface navy is merely a target for shooting practice . I would like to know your enlighting theory about how much dificult was the life for the AN than the JN in the second world war. Lol!

My point is not to discuss history but about the game ,that while Sh4 could be fun ,and looks impressive ,it will be the a lot more challeging and fun , if it was made the game again in the atlantic improving the dymamic campaing and better if they give you the option to pick your side. Where the allies fought againts german navy. And where the germans were extremely sucessfull early in the war blocking the naval trafic to europe.

AlphaWolfII
03-15-07, 12:53 PM
Again Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine.

And the Germans lost the war with them. I'm not sure what your point is.

I would like to know your enlighting theory about how much dificult was the life for the AN than the JN in the second world war. Lol!

Again, difficulty of life isn't the point. You stated:

i think american subs were more used for target practice againts merchants ships.

Based on some actual experiences I've read (Wahoo! and Clear the Bridge among them), your statement is inaccurate and totally unfounded.

In any case, after 2 versions in the Atlantic, it's nice to get back to the original game in the Pacific.

AW

ATI_Dude
03-16-07, 08:43 AM
Again Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine.

And the Germans lost the war with them. I'm not sure what your point is.

That's a very important point. I think he means that submarine warfare in the Pacific didn't have a decisive impact on the war's outcome. The Allies would have won the war against Japan even if they hadn't employed a single submarine. The complete opposite scenario was true in the European Theater. Had the Germans won the Battle for the Atlantic the war's outcome might have been quite different.

AlphaWolfII
03-16-07, 10:31 AM
I think he means that submarine warfare in the Pacific didn't have a decisive impact on the war's outcome.

Of course they did. They sank 55% of the total tonnage of Japanese ships. Would the US still have won? I think so, but it would have taken more time (years?) and lives to do so.

Had the Germans won the Battle for the Atlantic the war's outcome might have been quite different.

Would it have slowed down the effort? Sure. But there's a multitude of reasons I don't think this is true. First, there are airplanes. They're tough to sink with a torpedo. Second, Germany was already fighting a two-front war in Europe. Invading Russia in the winter? Just plain stupid. This is what happens when you have an idiot for a leader who bases his decisions on preconceived emotions instead of facts (sound familiar?).

AW

AlphaWolfII
03-18-07, 09:47 AM
According to EB, they'll have it in the store on Wednesday, 3/21. According to the Ubisoft web site for SH4, the box will contain the following premium material for a short time:

* Premium Packaging
* 100+ page manual including reference material
* Fold-out historical map of the Pacific theater
* Fold out ship recognition poster
* Quick Reference Card
* 1-hour of WWII-era documentary footage about U.S. submarines from Periscope Films on a Bonus DVD

Can't wait!!!

AWII

ATI_Dude
03-18-07, 10:11 AM
I think he means that submarine warfare in the Pacific didn't have a decisive impact on the war's outcome.

Of course they did. They sank 55% of the total tonnage of Japanese ships. Would the US still have won? I think so, but it would have taken more time (years?) and lives to do so.

Probably true. But Allied carrier groups and long range bombers would have decided the war's outcome.

Had the Germans won the Battle for the Atlantic the war's outcome might have been quite different.

Would it have slowed down the effort? Sure. But there's a multitude of reasons I don't think this is true. First, there are airplanes. They're tough to sink with a torpedo. Second, Germany was already fighting a two-front war in Europe. Invading Russia in the winter? Just plain stupid. This is what happens when you have an idiot for a leader who bases his decisions on preconceived emotions instead of facts (sound familiar?).

Airplanes don't win wars alone. If the Germans had controlled the Atlantic Ocean it would have been near impossible to reinforce the Allied armies in Western Europe.

I'm not saying Germany would have won the war. But controlling the Atlantic Ocean would have made it possible to hold the Western Alles at bay while forcing a decision on the Eastern Front and/or North Africa.

agentkay
03-20-07, 10:20 AM
As much as it saddens me I have to speak out a purchase warning for SH4. I checked out the official forums and it seems the 3D engine is still locked at 1024x768 and doesnīt support FSAA for both Nvidia and AMD.

Once its out in my video rental, I will run extented tests (with Nhancer etc.) and see if FSAA can be somehow activated but I donīt have much hope. I donīt understand why Ubisoft Romania didnīt manage to upgrade their engine to support AA and a higher resolution, especially because it doesnīt take a genuis that a limitation like that hurts sales like crazy. :thumbdwn:

Warwind
03-20-07, 12:13 PM
I trust SH4 won't include StarForce...?

OWA
03-20-07, 12:30 PM
As much as it saddens me I have to speak out a purchase warning for SH4. I checked out the official forums and it seems the 3D engine is still locked at 1024x768 and doesnīt support FSAA for both Nvidia and AMD.

Once its out in my video rental, I will run extented tests (with Nhancer etc.) and see if FSAA can be somehow activated but I donīt have much hope. I donīt understand why Ubisoft Romania didnīt manage to upgrade their engine to support AA and a higher resolution, especially because it doesnīt take a genuis that a limitation like that hurts sales like crazy. :thumbdwn:
Did it sound like speculation or something that is confirmed? No way I'm getting a game that is locked at 1024x768. Why would they do that?

agentkay
03-20-07, 01:00 PM
Did it sound like speculation or something that is confirmed? No way I'm getting a game that is locked at 1024x768. Why would they do that?

Warwind, SH4 does not include Starforce, but as most Ubisoft titles, Securom.

OWA, it seems like the info can be considered as confirmed because some people received the retail copies already. There was some speculation that the pirate version had that "problem" but some people with the retail version confirmed it.

To make matters worse, it seems that you can actually select a higher resolution (incl. widescreen) in the settings and the menu and the icons are properly rendered in the higher resolution but the actual 3D engine only upscales from 1024x768 to like 1920x1200 and end the result is quite horrible. Excellent looking GUI in the foreground, horrible upscaled 3D render in the background. :(

Iīm not sure what their intention was (misleading customers??), or if its "just" a bug. I know SH3 rendered only 1024x768 as well but with a D3D/DLL hack it was possible to run it properly at a higher resoltion, however when it comes to SH4 it should not be a matter of a hack to fix this problem. I do hope Ubisoft and the dev team see in this problem a priority and fix it ASAP because it is a shame to release a title with a locked resolution like that, and itīs almost as bad as the Resident Evil 4 PC port. :(

OWA
03-20-07, 01:03 PM
Dang. Oh well, thanks for the info.

nekrosoft13
03-20-07, 01:24 PM

WTF is ubi doing? do they really want to piss off everyone under the sun?