PDA

View Full Version : New Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Vista Driver 2.13.0012

DarkJedi664
03-08-07, 11:42 AM
So it seems Creative decided to update their drivers for XFi. No word on fixes, but this STILL doesn't add DD or DTS decoding...

Seems like the same release notes as the last drivers, and these AREN'T WHQL signed:

Filename: SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_13_0012.exe

This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ 64-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic,
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Creative Sound Blaster Elite Pro
Current release features:

X-Fi Crystalizer™
X-Fi CMSS®-3D
MIDI Playback
EAX® Effects
PCM stereo output through optical out
Line-in connectivity
Recording capabilities.
Known issues:

This driver does not support the following:
Decoding of Dolby® Digital and DTS™ signals
DVD-Audio
DirectSound®-based EAX games
6.1 speaker mode.
SPDIF passthrough is supported on Vista 32-bit only.
Applications from the original Sound Blaster X-Fi CD will not work with this download.
Requirements:

Windows Vista 64-bit or Windows Vista 32-bit
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above.
Notes:

Do not install this driver for Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.
To install the driver, do the following:
Download the SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_13_0012.exe file into your local hard disk.
Double-click the downloaded file.
Follow the instructions on the screen.
To uninstall the driver, do the following:
Click Start -> All Programs -> Control Panel.
Double-click the Device Manager icon.
Double-click the Sound, video and game controllers option.
Right-click the Creative SB X-Fi option, and select Uninstall.
The Confirm Device Uninstall dialog box appears.
Select the Delete the driver software for this device option.
Note: This check box must be selected to avoid reinstallation issues.
Click the OK button.
Restart your computer.
To reinstall the driver, do the following:
Double-click the downloaded file.
When the message You must restart your computer to apply these changes appears, click the Restart Later button.
Follow the instructions on the screen.

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download2.asp?MainCategory=1&Product=14000&dlcentric=9925&Product_Name=Sound+Blaster+X%2DFi+Fatal1ty&filetype=1&OSName=Windows+Vista+32-bit

nekrosoft13
03-08-07, 11:44 AM
posted

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87770

superklye
03-08-07, 12:02 PM
There is no hardware on the card to allow DDL and I don't know why they'd bother adding it when most of the DVD software on the market does DTS and DD decoding.

Plus, they have no real competition so adding the hardware functionality isn't a priority at all. :(

CaptNKILL
03-08-07, 12:06 PM
Strange... I was just trying to figure out why Bass redirection no longer works for me in XP (I dont think its available in the basic audio console in vista). When I do the speaker test in the THX console the sub channel works fine but the bass redirection in the main x-fi control panel definitely does not work anymore.

Anyone ever have this happen? Its been like this for a while... at least since I reinstalled Windows a month or so ago, and probably before then too (which is strange since this is a fresh format and install).

crainger
03-08-07, 03:57 PM
Why use bass redirection on speakers already THX certified? Unless you are going outside the THX recommended defaults ofcourse :D

einstein_314
03-08-07, 04:16 PM
Why use bass redirection on speakers already THX certified? Unless you are going outside the THX recommended defaults ofcourse :D
Well....just because the speakers are THX certified doens't mean they'll sound good no matter what you send to them...So if you set the bass redirection at 80Hz (the THX setting) then you'll be sure to be getting the best sound.

AdamK47
03-08-07, 05:03 PM
How does this work with Alchemy?

$n][pErMan
03-08-07, 06:24 PM
They fix the X-Fi remote control support in Vista yet?

nekrosoft13
03-08-07, 08:25 PM
[pErMan']They fix the X-Fi remote control support in Vista yet?

no that requires a seperate application

crainger
03-08-07, 10:17 PM
Well....just because the speakers are THX certified doens't mean they'll sound good no matter what you send to them...So if you set the bass redirection at 80Hz (the THX setting) then you'll be sure to be getting the best sound.

Logitech THX rated speakers already have the cross over at 80Hz with the satellite profiles set to Large speaker. Try it. Set the speakers to 'large' and enable the redirect in the THX console. It doesn't sound any different (on my 680s anyway). Setting the satellites to 'small' makes it sound different, less bass, but I loose a fair bit of the mid range sound.

Any speaker set that is THX rated should have the crossover at 80Hz via hardware. Messing around in the THX console is only going to screw things up. Unless thats the way you like it. :wtf:

jAkUp
03-09-07, 01:58 AM
Anyone see any improvements?

CaptNKILL
03-09-07, 07:10 AM
Logitech THX rated speakers already have the cross over at 80Hz with the satellite profiles set to Large speaker. Try it. Set the speakers to 'large' and enable the redirect in the THX console. It doesn't sound any different (on my 680s anyway). Setting the satellites to 'small' makes it sound different, less bass, but I loose a fair bit of the mid range sound.

Any speaker set that is THX rated should have the crossover at 80Hz via hardware. Messing around in the THX console is only going to screw things up. Unless thats the way you like it. :wtf:
I don't know where I read it, but I'm pretty sure the Z5500s have their crossover at 120Hz. I remember a pretty dramatic difference when I set it to 80Hz in the THX panel before.

I turned it off a while ago because you do lose some of the sound but I'm still curious as to why it doesn't work any more.

crainger
03-09-07, 07:51 AM
120Hz? That would explain why my 5500s are so bass heavy on my 360 and DVDs I guess. I will have to investigate this more...

einstein_314
03-09-07, 04:43 PM

Hmmmm...interesting..I've never tried using them on the large speakers setting...

There is a definate difference between having bass redirection on or off with them set to small speakers...

crainger
03-09-07, 06:21 PM
I've played around with the setting a lot. I'm not sure whether to trust Logitech and their what appears to be 'large speakers setting' or force small because the satellites are, well small. Although with small there is a loss mid range, but overall it does sound cleaner (That could just be from the overall reduction in bass).

nekrosoft13
03-09-07, 07:33 PM
where do you change those settings

malachi1313
03-09-07, 08:28 PM
:thumbdwn: Back to the betas for me. These crackle like mad in BF2142. Same with the Vista 101.41's. The 100.65's work better. Sad state of affairs when betas work better than the WHQL's...:thumbdwn:

crainger
03-09-07, 09:44 PM
where do you change those settings

THX Console.

Grov
03-10-07, 08:29 AM
When the **** are Creative going to give customers decent driver support, it's a a complete piss take.

crainger
03-10-07, 08:56 AM
When the **** are Creative going to give customers decent driver support, it's a a complete piss take.

At least they are getting 32 AND 64 bit Vista drivers out there. Not to mention with OpenAL AND hardware DirectSound3D support. I'm yet to test the drivers myself, so I can't say too much on the issue though :)

nekrosoft13
03-10-07, 11:39 AM

when will most creative customers grow a ****ing brain. so far creative has the best driver support for vista out of all sound card manufactures.

32bit driver
64bit driver
openal support
directsound to openal sound wrapper (x-fi only so far)

$n][pErMan
03-10-07, 01:13 PM
when will most creative customers grow a ****ing brain. so far creative has the best driver support for vista out of all sound card manufactures.

32bit driver
64bit driver
openal support
I agree.... sure my X-Fi is missing support for the remote and its missing its nice console, but minus the occasional cracking here and there its working pretty good. Of course they still got a way to go but at least they made the effort to support old EAX games as well. I can't say the same for nVidia at the moment where the performance hit in vista is so huge I refuse to even game on it because of the driver issues. Unless Microsoft changed something last minute in the OS... these companies have had what.. months.. if not years to get thier drivers working?

Grov
03-10-07, 01:33 PM

32bit driver
64bit driver
openal support

Well id ****ing hope so, seeing as there really the only gamers choice. And who the **** was on about Vista? There last XP driver was yonks ago.

Grow a ****ing brain moron.

nekrosoft13
03-10-07, 02:26 PM
you better start packing, i have a feeling you won't be around here for long

crainger
03-10-07, 06:24 PM
The last update was Nov 06. That isn't that long ago. Besides, good driver support doesn't equal frequent updates. It means fixing the drivers when there are problems, and as of now. there isn't much wrong with the XP drivers. So much of their time is spent getting Vista's drivers up to the level of XPs.