PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trying x64

Riptide
03-08-07, 04:08 PM
I have some core applications that absolutely HAVE to work. Anyone know if these are going to be a showstopper under Vista x64 ultimate?

1) Nero 7.5
2) Newsleecher 3.8 Final
3) Media Player Classic
4) CounterStrike Source

Monolyth
03-08-07, 04:11 PM
http://www.ntcompatible.com

Check the Newsleecher site, he upgraded the licensing to support Vista, so I would imagine the application should work.

I'm not sure about Nero, or MPC. CS:S as long as HL2 works, should have no problems.

What I've seen so far is that the differences between XP x86 & XP x64, and that of Vista x86 & Vista x64 are not as great. Microsoft has done a good job of getting most things to work well in both environments.

hokeyplyr48
03-08-07, 05:43 PM
just because hl2 works, doesn't mean that the source games are going to work. A lot of the source games aren't doing to well in vista in general. But i'm sure you could google on those programs respective forums and see what users are saying.

Riptide
03-09-07, 10:20 AM
Well I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

So far I've got everything *working* except for a few issues I have to iron out with media player classic. CSS even seems to run well without having to run multi-gpu mode.

Only thing that's odd is that I get quite a bit of CPU usage when playing MPEG2 files. I'm guessing that there is no hardware assist going on from the Nvidia driver? I don't know. It works OK, but usage is pushing 40-45% when playing these files especially the larger 1920x1080 ones I have.

Gonna try to get CoreAVC working this weekend and if it functions alright then I'm probably good to go. Still need to load openoffice though.

methimpikehoses
03-10-07, 12:19 PM
Well I'm thinking about trying x64 too. I just bought 4gb of G Skill because it was on sale, so I figure I might as well use it!

I've heard that you have to do a modified boot to use unsigned drivers in x64-- has this been a pain in the a$$ for people?

Any advantage performance-wise for Ultimate over Premium?