PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS SLI 3DMark06?

Jcryan19
03-09-07, 12:40 AM
I just got 2 Asus EN8800GTS/640 MB cards. I get about a 9000 score in 3DMark06 in what seems to be SLI mode in the new drivers from nVidia. I can tell where to switch to Single GPU mode in the SLI performance mode setting, however when that is enabled the system still does 8600 score. I know in the older drivers, had 2 7900GTs, there was a spot to enable Multi-GPU rendering mode. Is that still present somewhere or is it automatic now. Only reason I ask is when the Single GPU rendering was set on 7900GTs it produced a far greater decrease in performance.

Oh and because I know you'll ask here's my system:

Athlon X2 4800+ s939, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR 400, 36 GB WD Raptor, 200 GB Seagate Baracuda, Sound Blaster Fatal1ty, Pionner DVR-111D, LG DVD-ROM, Antec P180 case, Thermaltake Toughpower 850W and and 2 EN8800GTS/640MB

Madpistol
03-09-07, 01:24 AM
That processor is a huge bottleneck for an 8800 GTS SLI system. Since 3dmark06 is already heavily processor bound, you're not going to see much of a performance increase. However, the 7900 GT's were much weaker by themselves, but in SLI, they were much more powerful, which means that in SLI, they were able to take advantage of that processor much more fully than the 8800's are able to.

If you're looking for a solution, you need to get a faster processor. If you can't do that, there isn't much of a reason to keep that 2nd 8800 GTS.

Xion X2
03-09-07, 02:18 AM
Your processor's not a "huge" bottleneck, but it is a bottleneck. You need a Core2Duo clocked to about 3.0gHz to see the full potential of 8800 SLI. To get your Athlon to perform about the same as that, you'd need to clock it upwards of 3.6gHz.

And there is only one SLI setting in the control panel.

mustrum
03-09-07, 06:56 AM
Dumping the 2nd card because of 3dmark. What an advice.

This setup will be awesome in games.
Everytime you are GPU limited it will have a huge advantage.

Keep the cards and enjoy em in games rather then stupid benchmarks.
You can upgrade to a C2D later on still if you feel the need.

Edit: 1000th post! O.o

Madpistol
03-09-07, 08:06 AM
Dumping the 2nd card because of 3dmark. What an advice.

This setup will be awesome in games.
Everytime you are GPU limited it will have a huge advantage.

Keep the cards and enjoy em in games rather then stupid benchmarks.
You can upgrade to a C2D later on still if you feel the need.

Edit: 1000th post! O.o

True. Didn't think about that. Games that aren't CPU limited, you'll see a huge performance boost.

Honestly, I've only got one game like that right now. It's Halo PC. It's so GPU limited in fact that if I remove V-sync from in game options and play, it will cause artifacts after about 10 minutes of this. The card gets FRICKIN HOT!

If you want to (literally) kill your 8800 GTX, pick up a copy of Halo PC. It should do the job.

jcrox
03-09-07, 10:23 AM
Halo PC will kill my 8800GTS?? Strange, the game ran so well on my 7800GT SLI setup, I'll have to reinstall it and give it a try again.

Edit: you're on crack...Halo PC wasn't able to lift my GPU temp past 55c 1600x1200.

Jcryan19
03-10-07, 12:09 AM
Wasn't planning on dropping the other card, but that does indeed answer the question. I just found the small increase by enabling SLI unusual is all. Anyway thanks. Now if I did upgrade, the 680i chipset is what I'd need so question is which is the best board the eVGA or the Asus Striker Extreme. I'm familiar with the Asus brand, but eVGA is new to motherboards. I know eVGA makes good graphic cards, so I'd assume similar quality out of the motherboard particularly since they are using the reference design but the Asus seems to have better cooling on it.