PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV as computer monitor??

A101Sugar
03-09-07, 02:31 AM
for my new build... I was thinking about buying a Dell 20" or 22" monitor..

but now I am thinking, why not get a nice LCD and also use that with other stuff. (give me a reason to buy more HomeTheater stuff w/ my employee discount). I was thinking about getting like a 23" , 26", 27", or maybe even 32" LCD. I could get a manager to give me a pretty good price on one. (especially if its on clearance).

I plan on using it basically for computer, computer games, movies, TV...

Any suggestions?? or recommendations (for stuff Best Buy carries).

I am not sure how good games would look at such weird resolutions , so I would like any feedback if you have any experience on the subject.

:)

verboten
03-09-07, 12:20 PM
I would be careful about using an LCD TV as a monitor. Most of the LCD TV's I've seen do a max resolution of 768x1338 which is pretty low for any thing above 22in.

You might want to look into the Gateway 24in widescreen monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1200 or benq. Good luck.

J-Mag
03-09-07, 12:40 PM
If your going to use it as a computer monitor have you looked into the Westinghouse 37in or 42in 1080p? Personally I think the extra res is needed, but the 42in 1366 x 768 resolution is like $999 right now.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8114541&st=westinghouse+42%22&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1158318442758

Monolyth
03-09-07, 01:44 PM
The 37inch Westinghouse is wonderful (I own it). And having the DVI inputs makes it really easy to connect, that is until HDMI becomes a computer standard.

Some notes about it:
You might notice some ghosting if you really start looking for it (you would anyway even with a 3ms LCD), so that really doesn't say much, but if you aren't watching frame by frame you won't see it.

The 100% brightness is a bit much especially when trying to read text, 80% is a nice level though.

I don't think the TV automatically shuts off, I've never left my computer off long enough (without turning the TV off) to find out, but I'm pretty sure I left it for 2-3 hours one time and it never shut down (like a puter monitor would).

In XP I noticed when the drivers first detected it, it set it to 1080i, but after changing the timing to the default 1080p from nVidia's CPanel, movies/games looked wonderful and everything was snappy. This was not a problem in Vista, it detected everything and set it to 1080p right off the bat.

Also as you look around you will find that some HD TV's do not do 1:1 pixel ratio (that is they add overscan, which is not needed for HD signals). This Westy has a 1:1 ratio so your windows desktop/games will fill the entire screen. :)

It downscales alright and can even do scaled 4:3, so for those games that have issues at least you have a fall back...of course <3 widescreengamingforum.com :)

ViN86
03-09-07, 03:08 PM
for my new build... I was thinking about buying a Dell 20" or 22" monitor..

but now I am thinking, why not get a nice LCD and also use that with other stuff. (give me a reason to buy more HomeTheater stuff w/ my employee discount). I was thinking about getting like a 23" , 26", 27", or maybe even 32" LCD. I could get a manager to give me a pretty good price on one. (especially if its on clearance).

I plan on using it basically for computer, computer games, movies, TV...

Any suggestions?? or recommendations (for stuff Best Buy carries).

I am not sure how good games would look at such weird resolutions , so I would like any feedback if you have any experience on the subject.

:)

1080 resolution is 1920x1080 so it would look good. just make sure its 1080p. 720 resolution is 1280x720.

those are 16:9 aspect ratios.

Rakeesh
03-09-07, 03:27 PM
The 37inch Westinghouse is wonderful (I own it). And having the DVI inputs makes it really easy to connect, that is until HDMI becomes a computer standard.

Don't worry about that, there are HDMI <--> DVI cables out there. I have two sitting in front of me right now. The TV supports HDCP so there won't be any problems.

Any LCD monitor that takes a 1080p input should work great. Remember though, that just because a TV is 1080p, does not mean it takes a 1080p input. In fact 99% of the 1080p TV's on the market do not accept a 1080p input, but only a 1080i input. The Westinghouse brand TV's are the notable exception as most of their 1080p screens take a true 1080p input so they work fine with a computer. Plus they are cheap, you can get them for less than $1,200 and they have great picture quality.

Little known fact about westinghouse: they were the first company to ever make TV's.

A101Sugar
03-09-07, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the help guys....

I am still not sure exactly what I want... but I take it that I should stay away from a smaller LCD w/ 720P as a monitor??

WimpMiester
03-09-07, 09:03 PM
I have a 32" Sony Bravia XBR which has a real PC monitor built in that looks fantastic so you don't need to worry about setup. Yes it only has a max res of 1360x768 but its pixel perfect and I've never noticed ghosting even thou it has an 8ms response time. I still use a 21" trinitron display that does 2048x1536 but I find my self using my TV now to play all my games. I don't miss the higher resolutions because the 32" screen more than makes up for it. You can do 1920x1080i if you use the HDMI input on the TV but then you have to deal with overscan adjusting and I don't think its really worth the hassle. I did try it for awail and was pleasently surprised that small text was clearly readable at 1080 res when this TV down converts it to 1360x768. But if you must have the higher res you can do it and it looks good. When my 21" monitor dies im going to replace it with another 32" Sony TV.