PDA

View Full Version : Help Bios flash failed !

firthy
03-16-03, 04:26 PM
Upgraded my trusty old GA7-DX mobo to a 2200+. It only had the F6 Bios and worked fine but didn't recognise the processor so like an idiot I decided to flash to the F7 Bios.

Put the F7 .bin file in a folder and used the @bios utility in Windows XP and pointed it towards the F7 Bios and it recognised it and flashed it as normal but when it shut down it stayed on the Windows is shutting down screen for ages. I gave it a while and had to press the reset button and guess what no beeps from the motherboard on boot up. It powers on but that's it, tried clearing the Cmos and nothing.

Is my mobo dead now or is there anything I can do to rescue it. I have flashed plenty of times before and this is my first failure, it did state when flashing that the Bios upgrade would change the vendor or something like that. Is this normal or could this be the cause.

Any advice most welcome.

Regards,

Firthy

ntxawg
03-17-03, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by firthy
Upgraded my trusty old GA7-DX mobo to a 2200+. It only had the F6 Bios and worked fine but didn't recognise the processor so like an idiot I decided to flash to the F7 Bios.

Put the F7 .bin file in a folder and used the @bios utility in Windows XP and pointed it towards the F7 Bios and it recognised it and flashed it as normal but when it shut down it stayed on the Windows is shutting down screen for ages. I gave it a while and had to press the reset button and guess what no beeps from the motherboard on boot up. It powers on but that's it, tried clearing the Cmos and nothing.

Is my mobo dead now or is there anything I can do to rescue it. I have flashed plenty of times before and this is my first failure, it did state when flashing that the Bios upgrade would change the vendor or something like that. Is this normal or could this be the cause.

Any advice most welcome.

Regards,

Firthy

well one things for sure dont ever use any windows flash software do the dos/diskette boot up
as for the bios if you can find someoen who the same mb they might be able to help. i heard some people would switch the bios chip after they boot up and flash it with the diskette. other then that you'll prob have to go order a new bios or get a new mb

Dazz
03-17-03, 01:55 AM
Yeah if the BIOS chip is dead you 'might' be able to RMA the board or get a replacement BIOS chip.

BTW i have an ASUS A7M266 board and have only ever flashed it with a Windows flash program and it's never failed i've flashed the board no less then 12 times in all. One things for sure make sure you NEVER have any programs working in the backgrond especially Anti-virus scanners!!

firthy
03-17-03, 06:35 AM
Phoned Gigabyte who will reprogramme the Bios for 15 including postage.

Seems like the best option.

Regards,

Firthy

gravioli
03-17-03, 09:56 AM
The Feb 2003 Maximum PC issue gives instructions on how to flash a dead BIOS. I will retype the info here:

This can occur when a flash ROM upgrade goes awry. Fortunately, most motherboards have a recovery routine, which can be enabled via a jumper on the board. When enabled, the recovery routine will normally cause the system to look for a floppy with the BIOS update program on it. If you haven't done so already, you'll need to download an updated BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer and follow the directions for placing the BIOS update program on a bootable floppy. Next set your motherboard BIOS recovery mode via a jumper, power on the system, and wait until the procedure completes. It will normally take up to five minutes, and you may hear beeping to indicate the start and end of the procedure. Once the recovery is complete, turn off the system, restore the recovery jumper to the original (normal) setting.

If your BIOS doesn't feature BIOS recovery capability, then you may have to send the board to the manufacturer for repair.

I don't know if many boards have a recovery feature like this, but you can always check.

PsychoSy
03-20-03, 08:42 PM
It depends on the BIOS.

Award/Phoenix's Boot Block sector should kick in automatically and search the floppy drive if a flash goes south, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm not aware of any keyboard "hotkey" that'll force the boot block to start however.

AMI BIOSes, on the other hand, do have a "hotkey" to force the boot block to start up and search the floppy drive for a BIOS file. I believe you have to hold INSERT (or one of those keys in that group) before pressing the power button.

Don't hold me on this, though.

I've never had a bad BIOS flash in all my computers but then again, I never use WinFlashers and I very seldomly flash from a boot floppy either. Instead, I flash my BIOSes using whatever drive letter a Windows Boot Disk assigns as my RamDrive.

saturnotaku
03-20-03, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
I've never had a bad BIOS flash in all my computers but then again, I never use WinFlashers and I very seldomly flash from a boot floppy either. Instead, I flash my BIOSes using whatever drive letter a Windows Boot Disk assigns as my RamDrive.

I used to flash my BIOS from a floppy in pure DOS mode (booted off a Windows 98 boot disk). That is until my good buddy Sy here clued me into this method. The RAM drive flash is just as easy to do, is faster and is far more reliable.

Windows flashers might be fine for things like CD drives, but are about the worst thing you can do for a motherboard BIOS.