PDA

View Full Version : In need of help with setting up RAID 0

Technoholic
03-09-07, 05:20 PM
I recently got home, and decided to set up everything with two Raptors 36GB, to RAID 0 them. And new motherboard, ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus.

I'm SO confused on what to do. Each time I want to RAID0 the harddrives from BIOS, then the bootup BIOS doesn't show the Raptors anymore. When I look in the harddrives setting, and I see the harddrive was renamed as SCSI NVIDIA 74GB.

Am I suppose to INSTALL windows FIRST then make RAID from there? If I make RAID from windows, do I still have to make adjustment from the BIOS?

Is there any CLEAR, and most understanding instruction on how to set up RAID 0? I'd appreciate it with your help. I'm really confused here...

Bman212121
03-10-07, 01:58 AM
I recently got home, and decided to set up everything with two Raptors 36GB, to RAID 0 them. And new motherboard, ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus.

I'm SO confused on what to do. Each time I want to RAID0 the harddrives from BIOS, then the bootup BIOS doesn't show the Raptors anymore. When I look in the harddrives setting, and I see the harddrive was renamed as SCSI NVIDIA 74GB.

Am I suppose to INSTALL windows FIRST then make RAID from there? If I make RAID from windows, do I still have to make adjustment from the BIOS?

Is there any CLEAR, and most understanding instruction on how to set up RAID 0? I'd appreciate it with your help. I'm really confused here...

I don't have exact knowledge of that board, but since it is an ASUS SLI it is probably very similar to many of the others. First you go into the bios, and make sure that the raid controller (pretty sure it is an intel controller) is set to RAID. Then you reboot the pc, and you'll need to hit a certain key combo in order to enter the RAID's bios that will appear. In there you can configure the two drives for the stripe. When you boot your windows disc, you'll need to hit f6 when it displays the message. It is the very first thing is says when the install starts, and it will display the message to do so in the boot left corner. After it loads all of the other drivers, it will ask you to speficy an additional raid device. You hit s, and insert a floppy containing the RAID drivers. After that, the windows install will see both drives as one big drive.

I strongly suggest you pull out the good 'ol manual for this, as it has really good detail, and shows step by step with pictures on how to configure the bios, and raid bios correctly, as well as how to make the floppy for the drivers, and install them.

SLippe
03-10-07, 03:58 AM
Read through this Thread, might help you some;
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71660

Technoholic
03-10-07, 10:35 PM
One thing, I don't have a floppy. And SLippe, I will look into that. [Edit] It requires floppy, but I don't have floppy.

Technoholic
03-11-07, 02:55 PM
Ok, I have the Floppy Drive now, and I followed the instruction. And the beginning of installing XP doesn't recognize my harddrives. :( I know I'm not missing something... But should I update my BIOS? Cuz it's 0302 or something like that. The updated ones is 0507...

Technoholic
03-12-07, 12:09 AM
Nevermind. RAM was bad, ran the memtest on a bootable CD.

So I'm getting mushkin 2GB DDR2-800 with EPP profile, obviously. Someone's PC had hit 3.2GHz on E6400 with that RAM. Might be good? But whatever. This is not the thread's point. The RAM was bad.