PDA

View Full Version : Issue w EVGA 8800 GTS and HP Pavillion a1130n

jvmach67
03-09-07, 08:02 PM
HELP!!!

I received my EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS today, but it isn't working with my a1130n. The a1130n is an HP machine, based upon the AMD 939 chip. The motherboard is a MSI MS-7093 VER 120. I have replaced the AMD 3500+ CPU with an X2 4200+ (a few weeks ago). I also have replaced the power supply with an ePower PUMA II 450 watt unit. I have 2 GB of RAM and added a second hard drive (320 GB).

At any rate, I am using the machine now, with the default onboard video card now. I've also put my x800 XL back into the machine and it worked without any issues either. So, I don't think it is an issue with the hardware in my machine.

I updated the HP BIOS to 3.47 (from 3.40, I think), but that did not make a difference.

I've even set the default video card to PCIE in BIOS and that did not make a difference either.

Here's what happens. I plug the card into the PCIe slot and it clicks in without any issues. I take two power leads from my ePower PUMA II 450 watt PSU and use them to plug into the card - using the cable provided. When I power on the device, the hard drive light keeps spinning and spinning, but I never get to the BIOS screen. The keyboard does not light up, I don't hear any beeps, the system just hums.

I can hear fan noise from the CPU, fan in the back of the PC and the new card itself, but nothing ever boots up.

I even tried unplugging both of my SATA drives (both power and cable) and one of the DVD drives to see if that might be an issue ... but there is no difference.

If I power off the machine, take the card out and power it back on, everything works ... which is how I am posting this message.

Oh yeah, not sure if it makes a difference, but I can't really shut off the PC with the card plugged in. If I hold the power button in, it shuts off the machine, but when I release it, the machine powers back up.

Anyone have any ideas?!!! Do I have a bad card?

Thanks!
jv

Maverickman
03-09-07, 08:44 PM
Try to reseat the card a few times. I had to do this with an HP system I have. I would start the system, but there would be no video. Reseating the card and making sure it was tightly in the PCIe slot solved the problem. I'm using an x1642 with a Core2 Duo E6600 and GeForce 8800 GTS with the stock power supply and it works fine. No issues other than driver problems with Vista.

jvmach67
03-09-07, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Maverickman!

I tried to reseat the card a few times and have given up for the night. I put the x800 XL card back in the machine and it's working like a charm. For some reason, the EVGA 8800 GTS card I received from NewEgg.com today just isn't working in the machine.

I even tried to remove power to both SATA drives and my DVD drives as well. So, the only thing powered on the machine was the motherboard and the video card.

All the system did when it booted up was just freeze. No beeps or anything, just a humm.

When you had your issues, did the keyboard light up? Because I get nothing.

I am going to try and take the video card to a co-workers house tomorrow, who has a brand new machine and see what happens when we plug the card into his machine.

I am out of things to try at this point.

Thanks again!
jv

methimpikehoses
03-10-07, 12:36 AM
Test the 8800GTS on another machine to make sure it works. If it does, you might need a better power supply with more amps on the 12V rails. Good luck!

jvmach67
03-10-07, 02:01 PM
Thanks methimpikehoses for the reply.

So, I went to Best Buy today and could not find a PSU that rated higher than my ePower PUMA II 450 does on the amp side of things. At +12V the box lists the Max Output Current at 28A.

As an example, the Antec 650 watt TruePower PSU had a +12V rating under 20A, I think it was 19A.

Since the EVGA 8800 GTS indicates it needs 400 watt PSU with a +12V rating at 23A, would the Antec 650 watt TruePower work any better?

One thing to note ... on the back of the box for my ePower PUMA II, where it lists the Max Output Current of 28A, it lists the Max Combined Wattage at 336 watts in the +12V category, by itself. Not sure what that means, though, because there is a Max Combined Wattage box that includes +3.3V, +5V and +12V and is rated at 430W.

Does any of this make sense to anyone? Could my PSU be causing the issues I've noted?

Thanks, to everyone, for their assistance!!
jv

jvmach67
03-10-07, 07:04 PM
As suggested above, the issue was with my power supply. I replaced the ePower PUMA II 450 with an Antec TruePower 650 and everything is working great! In fact, I am using the PC and 8800 GTS right now!

By the way, here are my 3DMark comparisons for the three times I have ran the 05 and 06 tests on my system:

AMD 64 3500+, 1 GB of RAM, ATI x800XL video card:

- 3DMark05 = 5,093
- 3DMark06 = 1,125

AMD 64 4200+ X2, 2 GB of RAM, ATI x800XL video card:

- 3DMark05 = 5,051
- 3DMark06 = 1,813

AMD 64 4200_ X2, 2 GB of RAM, EVGA 8800 GTS video card:

- 3DMark05 = 10,735
- 3DMark06 = 7,163

Thanks to everyone who read this and helped point me in the right direction!

Thanks!
jv

Maverickman
03-10-07, 07:17 PM
I guess I got lucky with the PS on my HP. It's only rated at 300W and works well with my BFG 8800 GTS OC.