PDA

View Full Version : BFG 8800 GTS Issue with old and new games

Xraider
03-09-07, 10:07 PM
I recently bought a BFG 8800 GTS 320MB. I use AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with an ASrock motherboard http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939Dual-SATA2&s=939 For power supply I use 520Watt http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=21&xcSID=2d999713eac6fbc11e683cbabd59300d I have 2 gigs of OCZ Ram DDR400. I have defragmented recently (no fragmented files) and checked the memory with Prime95 and memtest. I have recently removed an old creative card (also used Driver cleaner) and installed my onboard sound driver AC97 Realtek (I think I have the right one, I may be wrong.) drivers from the realtek site. The card stays at very low temperatures. For example I can play World of Warcraft or Oblivion never really breaking 60 Celcius.
I'm using 97.92 Nvidia drivers. I have tried 96.89, the bfg one 97.44? None helped.

The problem: After a good 30 minutes or so I will crash in specifically 2 games that I own Max Payne 2(Fresh Install) and Battlefield 2(Fresh Demo). This is the kind of crash where the screen just stops at whatever was happening and does not update video, just stuck in that frame only way out is to reboot. BattleField 2 Demo has crashed before with my 7900GT, but I read it was creative fault and removed it(was 4 years old anyway). I never tried the 7900GT on Max Payne 2 but it ran World of Warcraft and FEAR fine.

Note: World of Warcraft is only run fine in a custom mode. I force it to run in a timing mode "1" setting (this is game specific). If it is run regular it will crash.
I can run World of Warcraft all day at all high settings with 8AA and 16AS under that custom setting, the card doesn't break a sweat and outperforms my old 7900GT as expected. So I believe it's some sort of software issue I'm overlooking.

My suspicion: When I do Driver cleaner and redo it for example on creative it will show me that it's removing some files but redoing it shows the same thing. As if it can't remove those files. (Yes I did run it in safe mode and also did the .cab removal)

Could it be corrupt Directx? I fooled the Windows to think its 9.8 before and did a reinstall but it just checked the files and didn't do much, so I dunno.

I have used a BurnIn test that was able to show video memory corruption on my 7900GT before but the 8800 is fine. Speedfan tells me the temps on my HDs, CPU, motherboard are fine as well.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. My next thing to try would be a format but I REALLY do NOT want to do that.

Thank You,
Xraider.

kevJ420
03-10-07, 08:28 AM
Either Vista, or if you want to stay w/ xp, then Registry Mechanic by PC Tools, it's a Godsend.

retsam
03-10-07, 09:16 AM
I recently bought a BFG 8800 GTS 320MB. I use AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with an ASrock motherboard http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939Dual-SATA2&s=939 For power supply I use 520Watt http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=21&xcSID=2d999713eac6fbc11e683cbabd59300d I have 2 gigs of OCZ Ram DDR400. I have defragmented recently (no fragmented files) and checked the memory with Prime95 and memtest. I have recently removed an old creative card (also used Driver cleaner) and installed my onboard sound driver AC97 Realtek (I think I have the right one, I may be wrong.) drivers from the realtek site. The card stays at very low temperatures. For example I can play World of Warcraft or Oblivion never really breaking 60 Celcius.
I'm using 97.92 Nvidia drivers. I have tried 96.89, the bfg one 97.44? None helped.

The problem: After a good 30 minutes or so I will crash in specifically 2 games that I own Max Payne 2(Fresh Install) and Battlefield 2(Fresh Demo). This is the kind of crash where the screen just stops at whatever was happening and does not update video, just stuck in that frame only way out is to reboot. BattleField 2 Demo has crashed before with my 7900GT, but I read it was creative fault and removed it(was 4 years old anyway). I never tried the 7900GT on Max Payne 2 but it ran World of Warcraft and FEAR fine.

Note: World of Warcraft is only run fine in a custom mode. I force it to run in a timing mode "1" setting (this is game specific). If it is run regular it will crash.
I can run World of Warcraft all day at all high settings with 8AA and 16AS under that custom setting, the card doesn't break a sweat and outperforms my old 7900GT as expected. So I believe it's some sort of software issue I'm overlooking.

My suspicion: When I do Driver cleaner and redo it for example on creative it will show me that it's removing some files but redoing it shows the same thing. As if it can't remove those files. (Yes I did run it in safe mode and also did the .cab removal)

Could it be corrupt Directx? I fooled the Windows to think its 9.8 before and did a reinstall but it just checked the files and didn't do much, so I dunno.

I have used a BurnIn test that was able to show video memory corruption on my 7900GT before but the 8800 is fine. Speedfan tells me the temps on my HDs, CPU, motherboard are fine as well.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. My next thing to try would be a format but I REALLY do NOT want to do that.

Thank You,
Xraider.
run memtest and to see what happenes.

Xraider
03-10-07, 03:04 PM
I have tried memtest before it passed. I am trying the Registry Mechanic by PC Tools right now, hope it works.

Thank you both for the replies.

Xraider
03-10-07, 09:27 PM
Registry Mechanic did not help. Memory is fully tested, no errors.

Xraider
03-13-07, 03:10 PM
Issue fixed, I just reformated. I can only speculate on what the original problem was, most likely unnecessary drivers for the AGP capability on my "unique" motherboard having both PCIE and AGP.