PDA

View Full Version : Using a 7200 RPM hard drive in a PS3

saturnotaku
03-10-07, 07:51 AM
I want to upgrade my laptop to a bigger hard drive. If I do that, I would like to put my current drive in my PS3. It's a 60 GB 7200 RPM unit, but the PS3's drive is 5400 RPM. Does anyone here know if this will cause a problem? I can't imagine it would, but I don't want to risk data corruption and such.

SebC
03-10-07, 08:11 AM
I have a Japanese PS3 so I'm not particularly able to read the manual :P But I didn't realise PS3s actually use standard hardrives :O I'm guessing since you mentioned laptops though, that it uses a laptop type hardrive?

In answer to your question, it shouldn't cause any problems as PS3's OS is on some other hardrive in the system; you will only lose your saved games and other things that have been downloaded onto it.

Toss3
03-10-07, 08:25 AM
EDIT: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061111/hdd.htm

If you know Japanese or Chinese that could be a good site to check out! :D

Don't think the rpm matters:

http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/ps3-general-discussion/51685-hard-drive-upgrade.html

Both the 20GB and the 60GB PS3's can have their HDD replaced, all you need is a SATA Notebook HDD, brand doesn't matter.
Personally I would get a 120GB later on, that should be enough for quite some time I think.

It's a very very very easy mod to do, just take cover off, unscrew one screw, pull the cage to the side and then lift out, replace the HDD and then put the HDD cage back in, slide the cage back to where it was and you're done.

Here's a vid on how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B1mQ21XXLE

Zelda_fan
03-10-07, 08:33 AM
TBH you're asking for trouble if you do this.

lightman
03-10-07, 09:15 AM
TBH you're asking for trouble if you do this.

Why would he ?

six_storm
03-10-07, 10:03 AM
I can't imagine it causing any problems.

You think that now . . . but when everything is back up and running, the "Cure Cancer" mode will be greyed out on "No".

hordaktheman
03-10-07, 10:10 AM
If the PS3 adheres to the SATA standard, I can't imagine why there should be any trouble. Despite any spindle speed differences, it's still communicating via the same interface.

Edit: Here's a comparison between 5400 and 7200 drives in a PS3, so you should be fine:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745407p1.html

six_storm
03-10-07, 01:45 PM
t3h CELL can cure cancer without an HDD. It has a 2 Gig L2 cache!!! :D

oH!11 h0W c0u1d i f0rg3T @B0u7 t3H c3LL!!111111

Bad_Boy
03-10-07, 02:45 PM
Don't go with 7200rpm. Thats just going to create more heat and potentially cause problems in the future. What you need to get is a higher cache hard drive. There was a test with hdd's on watch.impress a while back and they said high cache had better scores than higher rpm in the ps3.

lightman
03-10-07, 05:06 PM
Don't go with 7200rpm. Thats just going to create more heat and potentially cause problems in the future. What you need to get is a higher cache hard drive. There was a test with hdd's on watch.impress a while back and they said high cache had better scores than higher rpm in the ps3.

He already has the hd, and I don't think that the difference in power dissipation (that is, heat) is so high so as to be worried about it...

Now, if he didn't already have the hd, I would say it would be better if he sticked to a 5400rpm with 8+ MB of cache, but ...

|MaguS|
03-10-07, 05:53 PM
I dout there would be any issue, the HD isn't near any vital components to worry about the extra heat the faster RPM would cause (which is almost no difference from the slower RPM, atleast from what I can tell in my PC).

kevJ420
03-10-07, 07:34 PM
Good luck. I hope everything works out ok. I was wondering if it was actually equivalent to an eSATA port, since it's not internal.

saturnotaku
03-10-07, 08:41 PM
I was wondering if it was actually equivalent to an eSATA port, since it's not internal.

If you possessed the cognitive ability to read the articles linked by posters who actually provided a useful response, you would have quite plainly seen that the PS3 uses a standard 2.5-inch SATA laptop hard drive that can be purchased at any major retail or online facility.

To the rest of you, I appreciate your replies. I'm actually thinking of ordering a pair of 160 GB Wester Digital Scorpio drives that Newegg sells for $105 each. I wish I could find an SATA laptop drive with 16 MB of cache, but the only ones I've seen available are PATA.

Madpistol
03-11-07, 10:45 AM
oH!11 h0W c0u1d i f0rg3T @B0u7 t3H c3LL!!111111

Go to your room. No dinner. :p ;)

kevJ420
03-11-07, 06:27 PM
I had thought that you could just hook it up like it was any SATA drive.

I was thinking that you could buy any e-SATA drive and have it outside the console, since I had thought it used the same cable, but I really don't think laptops are good for gaming so I don't really know much about them.

terribly sorry about that.

Hex
03-11-07, 11:52 PM
Ignore the usual assortment of knuckle draggers, and you should definitely go for the upgrade though I really cant say if you will notice the difference.
Here is the one I went with LINK (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146228) swapping them out is a snap.
Any 2.5 notebook SATA drive will do

saturnotaku
03-12-07, 06:26 AM
Ignore the usual assortment of knuckle draggers, and you should definitely go for the upgrade though I really cant say if you will notice the difference.
Here is the one I went with LINK (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146228) swapping them out is a snap.

So that's working well for you then? If the amount of cache a hard drive has is more important than rotational speed, using my 60 GB unit would be an upgrade as it's an 8 MB drive vs. the stock PS3 drive at 2 MB.

Toss3
03-12-07, 06:58 AM
So that's working well for you then? If the amount of cache a hard drive has is more important than rotational speed, using my 60 GB unit would be an upgrade as it's an 8 MB drive vs. the stock PS3 drive at 2 MB.
Cache is more important than RPMs for the HDD. Don't know why, but the Chinese(I guess it's Chinese?) article I posted said that they got a slight speed increase when using an 8mb cache drive, while they didn't experience any speed increase with a drive with higher RPMs. :cool:

kevJ420
03-13-07, 05:20 PM
Cache is more important than RPMs for the HDD. Don't know why, but the Chinese(I guess it's Chinese?) article I posted said that they got a slight speed increase when using an 8mb cache drive, while they didn't experience any speed increase with a drive with higher RPMs. :cool:

It's just like how more cache buffer makes optical drives considerably faster. Although optical drives and hard disks aren't a whole hell of a lot alike, CD drives don't get much faster the higher the rpm, but they do get much faster the more cache they have. Also, 8 MB buffer is also 4x the original drive's 2MB, where as 10k rpm isn't more than 1.5x 7200 rpm

Hopefully we'll soon be seeing 32MB drives very shortly.

ENU291
03-13-07, 06:31 PM
It's just like how more cache buffer makes optical drives considerably faster. Although optical drives and hard disks aren't a whole hell of a lot alike, CD drives don't get much faster the higher the rpm, but they do get much faster the more cache they have. Also, 8 MB buffer is also 4x the original drive's 2MB, where as 10k rpm isn't more than 1.5x 7200 rpm

Hopefully we'll soon be seeing 32MB drives very shortly.
So if I go by what you just said then a 32X CD-ROM drive is not that much faster then a 2X CD-ROM drive if they both have the same amount of cache memory? That makes absolutely no sense. You need to educate yourself on CD-ROM data transfer rates. Here is the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM) page. Hopefully you'll read it.

|MaguS|
03-13-07, 07:13 PM
32MB Cache drives? Soon? HAHAHA

16MB is just now starting to become popular...

Madpistol
03-14-07, 02:03 AM
32MB Cache drives? Soon? HAHAHA

16MB is just now starting to become popular...

On a Desktop drive, 16mb cache is popular.

On a laptop drive, I've never seen such a monstrosity.

saturnotaku
03-14-07, 05:08 AM
On a Desktop drive, 16mb cache is popular.

On a laptop drive, I've never seen such a monstrosity.

Toshiba laptop drive with 16 MB cache (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149030). Unfortunately it's parallel ATA only.

nemecb
03-14-07, 09:42 AM
Cache only helps on repeated accesses of the same small (fits within the cache) data. Maximum overall throughput is determined by the rotational speed and how tightly the bits are packed on the platters. That's why the new Seagates can get almost Raptor performance at only 7200 RPM - they pack the bits closer together so they can be read more quickly. If the PS3 sees better performance from more cache then it's just the type of hard drive accesses that it's doing.