PDA

View Full Version : Problem with card, monitor, or mobo? (7900GS)

cynicalicious
03-10-07, 03:25 PM
I bought an XFX 7900GS (PCIE) and stuck it in my mATX box, and when I booted, the system would post... sort of. It would stay on the BIOS screen for about 10 minutes or so, then eventually it would slooooowly boot into windows, sometimes... if I left it on for another 20-30 minutes or so. Of course, windows was totally unusable, but it did kind of boot.

Asus A8N-VM-CSR
Athlon 64 3200+
1GB DDR 400 (2 sticks of 512MB)
250GB HDD
Liteon 50x DVDRW
Antec TruePower 650W PSU
Apple Cinema Display 23" with Apple ADB -> DVI Adapter.

So I tried all of the usual stuff. BIOS is updated, cards reseated, power supply checks out. I tried running the system off of the integrated graphics, and while it wouldn't work with the Cinema Display, it works just fine with a plain old VGA monitor.

So I tried running the 7900 with the plain old VGA monitor, and it ran perfectly fine.

So is it the Cinema Display? That's what I thought. So I returned the 7900 and borrowed a friend's x1950pro, just to see if it would work.

Guess what? I got the same exact error! It posts, then hangs on the post screen.

So is it still the Cinema Display? Now I don't know. Could it be the mobo? Why would the mobo be the cause if it runs just fine on plain old VGA monitors? But two cards from two different manufacturers causing the same error? It's just weeeird. I had heard that the 8800GTS works just fine with the Cinema Display, but yikes, that's a chunk of money. So I wanted to see what y'all thought before I set fire to a pile of money.

Ok, it gets weirder. Apparently there's some sort of conflict with the USB ports in the back, because if I remove all but one of the USB devices in back, it boots up just fine.

XFX Support
03-14-07, 02:06 PM
Have to teamed with Asus to see if there is any bios or chipset driver updates to resolve the conflicts with the rear USB ports? Glad to see you found your problem. Hope you can get your other USB ports up and running.

XFX Support