PDA

View Full Version : A way to fade certain programs left/right in sound?

hokeyplyr48
03-10-07, 04:54 PM
I want to play a game and run itunes at the same time, but i want to know if theres a way to fade the game towards left audio and itunes towards the right side. Or any way to configure it so that itunes comes out one output while the game comes out another, like to split the signal.

Does that make sense?

Does anyone know if this is possible, and if it is, how?

Thanks in advance!

XDanger
03-13-07, 03:26 PM
why ALL games dont use a user selected mp3 player is beyond me ,it would be so simple.
A bit like with the GTA games.
Radiohead "Hello Computer" fits HL2 perfectly.

I dont like your chances of finding a way as games and itunes are probably wanting to use the same "electrotube" to get in your ears.

hokeyplyr48
03-13-07, 03:29 PM
so does that mean it's not possible?

XDanger
03-13-07, 04:41 PM
Im a true idiot. Yes.
Well I dont use itunes but windows media player has no problem playing at the same time as games, I guess you just go to sound and set the volume levels for each sound game/music the (wave slider controls the music volume), So I guess just find an app that can adjust the levels for each speaker and youre golden.

hokeyplyr48
03-13-07, 04:44 PM
no i know they can both run at the same time, my question was whether i could have them go to different outputs, like play game through headphones and listen to music through speakers. Just so i could seperate the output sound...i was thinking if i could fade one to the left then one to the right i could get a 3.5 mm adapter to rca then split it like that, but i don't know how to fade it either way.

Does that make sense?

XDanger
03-13-07, 04:55 PM
in mono yes ,by moving the balance sliders in the control panel.
Im getting worse!!!!!!

say, full right balance for wave and full left for the itunes whichever slider controls that volume.

Or if you have 5.1 there may be a way to get 2 of the channels to play the music ,so stereo.

Im soooooo guessing.

OK 3.5 jack to av splitter ,1xav to speakers and 1xav to 3.5 converter to headphones. <<<
Does that work for you?
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic?id=85b0SGOABCa6ZoyKLpgneA7sRRZm-Voa63MAv4xQp5Fd3Ig=&size=l

This might be a method to a home stereo but if you are using pc speakers then you just need a 3.5 splitter.
The red squiggly line represents some kind of pixy magics ( or an av lead( u call em rca i fink))

hokeyplyr48
03-13-07, 06:26 PM
yah thats wat i'm thinkin, but the only thing the sound comes out is wav. if you bought a soundcard like a xfi would it give u the ability to designate between programs? cuz they have control panels i beleive

XDanger
03-14-07, 03:22 PM
How about just an extra soundcard, you could choose which device itunes uses?

hokeyplyr48
03-14-07, 08:36 PM
yah i was wondering about that.
could u buy a soundcard and use that alongside with the onboard sound on the motherboard or would that create millions of problems?

nV`andrew
03-14-07, 08:48 PM
yah i was wondering about that.
could u buy a soundcard and use that alongside with the onboard sound on the motherboard or would that create millions of problems?

probably millions of probs if it works at all.

(hockey rules btw :cool: )

hokeyplyr48
03-14-07, 08:50 PM
hahahah sounds encouraging.

ugh if only this were possible...

(yah def agree with that)

XDanger
03-15-07, 05:20 PM
I was using onboard for tv sound output and usb headphones for a while, I don't recall any problems with that although I never used them at the same time.

Edit: Just had a go on doom3 (too lazy to put a game disc in) with the onboard on the tv using wmp and usb for the game, works fine, 2 soundcards may be a whole different kettle of fishes unless its a usb soundcard.

Also I just googled "2 soundcards" the first hit is old but informative.