PDA

View Full Version : The PC Gaming Drought

Pages : [1] 2

MowTin
03-10-07, 06:11 PM
I'm dying for some new spectacular graphics game on the PC. It's been years since anything has wowed me.

I got so desperate I reinstalled FarCry because I never saw it with HDR running all maxed on my 8800 GTS. It looked ugly now that the image of Crysis is in my head.

I just spent 2 hours wandering around Best Buy looking for something to get excited about. It's been a long time since something good came out for the PC.

Isn't this a drought for PC games? We're all just waiting...waiting..waiting...for DX10 games to rain down.

SeriTonin
03-10-07, 06:13 PM
Stalker should look nice...comes out March 20th, command and conquer 3 looks stunning, and then its dry until bio-shock in august. Blah

Bokishi
03-10-07, 06:13 PM
Good games are coming, just wait it out

SH64
03-10-07, 07:18 PM
Actually FarCry never cease to amaze me even now.
try Oblivion with Qarl Texture Mod3 for some amazing graphics & remember its not about DX10 but rather the use of the rendering techniquies.
the great games are coming down the road but you have to wait. you have no other options.

RiciN
03-10-07, 07:51 PM
Quake wars in may right?

Stoneyguy
03-10-07, 08:13 PM
Now is the golden age of RTS. If your a FPS fan your in the lull of 2 great golden ages. The past was Doom 3, HL 2, Far Cry and Unreal Tourney. The future is Crysis, Quake Wars, Bio Shock and Unreal 3 (or whatever it's called now).

XxDeadlyxX
03-10-07, 08:23 PM
Yeah STALKER will feed my fps needs for a looong time :D :p

saturnotaku
03-10-07, 08:46 PM
Makes me glad I got out of PC gaming almost entirely.

jAkUp
03-10-07, 09:36 PM

Hey consoles have their "good game" droughts as well.

And yes, I totally agree, very little big games on the PC side (besides RTS's) There have been 3 huge RTS's in the last few months with CoH, SupCom, and C&C.

nekrosoft13
03-10-07, 09:39 PM
makes me glad i got rid of that big white brick that was locked up in the bookcase

LORD-eX-Bu
03-10-07, 10:12 PM
Hey consoles have their "good game" droughts as well.

Yeah but they don't last years, I feel like such an ethiopian:lol:

nekrosoft13
03-10-07, 10:14 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']Yeah but they don't last years, I feel like such an ethiopian:lol:

WTH, you talking about?

jAkUp
03-10-07, 10:19 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']Yeah but they don't last years, I feel like such an ethiopian:lol:

Years? I was talking about months, certainly not years. IMO, the last great FPS I played was Prey, and that was in the summer. Many would say it is BF2142, and that was just a few months ago.

We have many FPS games on the horizon from BioShock, to Crysis, to QuakeWars, to Stalker, to GRAW2, to UT3, to Call of Juarez.

nekrosoft13
03-10-07, 10:20 PM
i been playing Call of Juarez, and Infernal now

crainger
03-11-07, 12:28 AM
Gaming drought?

I don't get some people. For me there is no such thing. Nothing stops me from digging out an old game and replaying it. Right now there are a flood of great games, but when there isn't I'll dig out Deus Ex, LSL series, LucasArts Adventures, System Shock, F.A.K.K.2 Homeworld. There is so many. (You may guess I never sell my PC games :D )

Then there are the games I always play. Mostly The Sims 2, Battlefield: Vietnam co-op and Crackdown.

Riplayne
03-11-07, 01:31 AM

Yet here you are on this forum.

nekrosoft13
03-11-07, 01:46 AM

very good point

crainger
03-11-07, 08:00 AM
very good point

I think there are a few round here who need to constantly reinforce their decision to go console only less they feel bad for missing some great games.

Mr_LoL
03-11-07, 02:38 PM
Theres a lack of racing games on the pc which really does my nut in sometimes. For that I will have to buy a console.

MowTin
03-11-07, 04:09 PM
Theres a lack of racing games on the pc which really does my nut in sometimes. For that I will have to buy a console.

True that. It's hard to find a good racing game. I would love a good racing sim that fully utilized my 8800. I like LFS but the graphics aren't cutting edge. With NFS when you go to the menu to try to calibrate your wheel you quickly realize it was made for consoles and gamepads. Rumble?

I'm hoping TDU is what I've been searching for.

Akbar, I like your avatar pic...but when I'm at work checking this forum and someone passes by...well, it's a little embarrassing :rolleyes2

superbooga
03-12-07, 10:13 AM
Personally, I think games should be about FUN, not graphics, and as others have said, there's a lot of great and fun RTS games out recently.

But yeah, as for graphically groundbreaking, there hasn't been much recently.

The last PC game to really impress me graphically was Oblivion. Best looking trees and most "organic" looking game.

Rainbow Six: Vegas is another great looking game, but some objects in the game do look terrible (cars).

I wasn't really impressed by the graphics in Company of Heroes. However, I was blown away by the sound effects in the game.

DRen72
03-12-07, 12:56 PM
...But yeah, as for graphically groundbreaking, there hasn't much recently.

The last PC game to really impress me graphically was Oblivion. Best looking trees and most "organic" looking game...

Gothic III isn't bad either. Not as polished as Oblivion, but enduring in a classic sense. Umm...maybe.

I agree there is a drought in PC games as well. I sure hope we actually see some good ones come out this year. My beef isn't so much what coming out, but the delays with them we keep seeing. These days a game gets announced, we get a release date, then a delay, and another, and before you know it, its due in 2008 or "When its done". With XBox 360 games, while I don't own one (yet), games appear to actually hit the shelves when they are supposed to. I've been a PC gamer for 20 years, and it was Atari 2600 before that. This is the first time since then I have even thought about going to a console due to the lack of cool new games. Seeing Gears of War on the 360 really caught my eye.

saturnotaku
03-12-07, 01:02 PM

Y'know, you're right. I think I'll fire up my consoles and play games. That'll be far more productive than sitting around on a forum complaining about how there are no good PC games.

six_storm
03-12-07, 01:22 PM
I think that there has been a huge drought ever since the HL2 and FEAR dust settled. The new consoles started to come out with amazing features and games, therefore a ton of people sold their PCs or downgraded to get a 360. I sold my gaming PC because I switched to Mac completely. I won't lie, I miss playing some RTS and FPS games, but I'm glad I did what I did. My 360 keeps my gaming hunger satisfied.

J-Mag
03-12-07, 01:34 PM
I think that there has been a huge drought ever since the HL2 and FEAR dust settled.

It seems most people judge PC gaming droughts based on FPSes...

I
I won't lie, I miss playing some RTS and FPS games, but I'm glad I did what I did. My 360 keeps my gaming hunger satisfied.

When it comes to the RTS scene there have been a significant number of good ones coming out in the last 6 months.