PDA

View Full Version : Epic: PC Gaming is Falling Apart(Piracy)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Marvel_us
03-10-07, 09:23 PM
Start actually purchasing games!

Across two separate lectures at this week's Game Developers Conference, id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead and Epic Games president Michael Capps both admitted that piracy of PC games caused their companies to pursue developing beyond the PC platform. "Piracy has pushed id as being multiplatform," stated Hollenshead, whose company contracted Z-Axis to handle the PlayStation 3 version and Nerve Software the Xbox 360 edition of Splash Damage's forthcoming Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (PC).

Comments made by Epic's Capps carried a similar tone. "PC gaming is really falling apart," he revealed. "It killed us to make Unreal Tournament 3 cross-platform, but Epic had to do it," adding "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works." Epic is currently developing Unreal Tournament 3 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in-house.

Meanwhile, Firaxis designer and programmer Soren Johnson remained confident in PC development. He suggested that "game design on the PC is going to bend toward persistence," noting Blizzard's World of Warcraft is "successful because you can't pirate WoW. You cannot pirate an MMO. Period."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46079

jAkUp
03-10-07, 09:34 PM
Yea I saw that, sad but true...

stjuart
03-10-07, 09:48 PM
They need to stfu and make a good game first, who the hell pirates a mp only game like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and another example is BF series which you can download but it stupid when playing off line, again make a good game and it will sell. HL-2 sold well and you know why, because it was a good game with no If's in gamers minds. Even though HL-2 is on steam it can still be downloaded from torrent sites, but a lot of people bought it becuase it was a good game and worth every penny. There will always be pirates for games, doesn't matter what platform, heck its even easier to pirate on the old and newer consoles so i don't know why they are crying like little bitches on what could of been a sale from some kid who would of never purchased your game anyway. Long rant, bottom line piracy is wrong but dam it move on and produce better games and not hype.

retsam
03-10-07, 09:54 PM
They need to stfu and make a good game first, who the hell pirates a mp only game like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and another example is BF series which you can download but it stupid when playing off line, again make a good game and it will sell. HL-2 sold well and you know why, because it was a good game with no If's in gamers minds. Even though HL-2 is on steam it can still be downloaded from torrent sites, but a lot of people bought it becuase it was a good game and worth every penny. There will always be pirates for games, doesn't matter what platform, heck its even easier to pirate on the old and newer consoles so i don't know why they are crying like little bitches what could of been a sale on some kid who would of never purchased your game anyway. Long rant, bottom line piracy is wrong but dam it move on and produce better games and not hype.
another words"i pirate and so what". you do realise that there are ways around almost all antipirate mesures on the pc including all the games you mentioned( and no i will not post proof). what company can sustain itself were there is no revuenue or very little to drive future games. these are the people in the "know" they know more about the industry then you and me and jsut about anyone on this board combined, very rarly do you get id and epic on the same page, but you better pay attention when both are on the same page about something. if this contunues you can bet that pc gaming is being detroyed.

Banko
03-10-07, 09:55 PM
Bull**** reasons honestly, if a person can afford a $600 video card they can afford the games.

MowTin
03-10-07, 09:57 PM
This is nonsense.

Pirating is pain in the ass. If you had any money at all you wouldn't do it. Even with things like bittorentz hunting down and downloading these huge files is a pain and Every time a patch comes out (and that's VERY often) your cracked version won't work. Also, usually your cracked version won't work online. Anyone with a job would rather just pay $50 and not have to deal with the hassle.

Piraters usually wouldn't buy the game if they couldn't pirate it because they don't have any money. No real money is lost. Counting every pirated copy as a lost sale is unrealistic.

stjuart
03-10-07, 10:09 PM
Retsam in other words these companies have had very good sales on there games and are not the ones that should open there mouth, i own every unreal game released, even the crappy Unreal2 and please don't accuse people of piracy without any proof, read my rant above, do i ever say yes do it, stick it to the man.
Why cant they just be honest and say they want a bigger piece of the pie becuase pc market is not as big as consoles and considering how much there teams have grown they need more money for Development costs, and last i checked UT 2004 sold more than ok, UT2003 was a piece of turd and if sales were crap than they had only themselves to blame.
BF2 sold really well, you don't see EA moaning about piracy, Something tells me they are attention whores.

jAkUp
03-10-07, 10:11 PM
Here is what EA said regarding the same subject:

How can the PC platform compete with next gen consoles? Hilleman sees gaming gradually turning into a service industry, rather than one of boxed product. "PC gaming is in a state of transition," he said, adding that companies are starting to cater to niches rather than continuing to create wide-ranging blockbuster titles. Gaming, said Hilleman, is "a bunch of different things to a bunch of different people."

Does that mean casual games, which exponentially outsell what PC gaming traditionalists think of as A-list titles, will one day rule? Hilleman made a point: casual is a poor choice of words. The average player on EA's Pogo "casual" game network plays "for 24 hours a week. There's nothing casual about that."

The final feather in the PC's cap is user-generated content, a.k.a. mods. Modding is easier and more open on PCs than it is on consoles (even with XNA), and will continue to be. Console manufacturers tend to wield much more control over their titles. Censorship, said Hilleman, will always be an issue on consoles, but possibly not on PCs.

Dazz
03-10-07, 10:17 PM
All my games are ogrinal don't bother with copied games.

nekrosoft13
03-10-07, 10:18 PM
i also feel this is bull****

they won't stop piracy, and over few years, piracy been getting allot more rampant and wide-spread on consoles too.

stjuart
03-10-07, 10:44 PM
The problem is not piracy but the gaming market itself is becoming saturated with mediocre games that are just sequels and clones and I think the market is going threw a little crash and its not just pc games that are doing poorly. Look at Beyond Good and Evil, now please I don't want to hear that this game sold bad because of piracy, becuase it was Multi platform from day one. I just bought the game today, but the point is sometimes the gaming market is a very harsh environment and well quality sometimes cant save you. Good marketing and knowing your audience does wonders though and of course generally making good game will give you a better chance of succeeding. These companies want a scapegoat to blame, They went multi platform to make more money, and if they were searching for NO piracy on consoles than they are very delusional.

SH64
03-10-07, 10:50 PM
Well said stjuart. Oblivion is another good exmaple .. it sold very well although the copy protection it used was more like a joke for crackers & had no online mode.

jAkUp
03-10-07, 10:53 PM
Looking into this, is this accurate??? C&C3 Preorders right behind Halo3? And SupCom right behind that?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/51550011/ref=pd_ts_pg_2/104-9047639-3013516?ie=UTF8&pg=2

Eliminator
03-10-07, 11:21 PM
like they dont have enough cash already... nowadays its all about business... even though it will be pirated still many people will buy it and it will be amongst the most popular games

Hoopla
03-11-07, 03:02 AM
I think some of it has to do with the steep prices of the games. Spending $50-$60 on a game is a lot of money IMO. I would buy a lot more games if they were sold at $20-$30.

MowTin
03-11-07, 03:20 AM
Pirating is possible on consoles too...back in the DreamCast days a friend of mine had a whole stack of games on CD-R disks.

I think xbox 360 games can be copied too.

Veer V2
03-11-07, 03:40 AM
Piracy has little to do with it. Hell, folks pirate far more movies and music than games, yet you still have good movies and music coming out.

Developers and producers are seeking more money and bigger markets. Why develop only for the PC when there is a whole, even larger, console market out there? It's a business decision. Same like why very few companies actualy want to take the time and money required to develop a game over 2-3 years. Much better to ship out a clone every year and then add on expansion packs to milk the crowd.

buffbiff21
03-11-07, 03:44 AM
yet you still have good [...] music coming out.

:lol: no, you dont.. but i see your point

piracy has been around since playstation days and it is not going anywhere.

***** i remember playing a copied FF8 at my friends house back in the day.

i agree with stuartj that games are becoming moe and more generic and there should be more breakthrough games coming out:
The problem is not piracy but the gaming market itself is becoming saturated with mediocre games that are just sequels and clones and I think the market is going threw a little crash and its not just pc games that are doing poorly.

do i use torrents? you bet, but i only try the game out to see if i like it. if not then i clear that crap off my drive and dont buy it. if i like it then i dish out the cash. simple as that.

Jon
03-11-07, 04:24 AM
Well, I've store bought every game I own and I have a massive book shelf of original boxes/games. I've been offered *ahem* copies before, but as a software developer I make sure everything I install is legit.

But, what does make me really really angry is that for example Fear, "please insert original cd"... and the expansion does the same. I realise it is only a handful of games... but why should pirates be having a laugh (game for free, no stupid cd checks and no cds in drives) and me the paying customer has to be punished.

THQ have recently decided to sell some of their titles without copy protection and I think this is a positive step forward and one I hope they are not now regretting it. I hope people will support them by store buying their games.

And finally I believe what has killed PC gaming is "Splinter Cell Double Agent". In my opinion the laziest xbox conversion I have ever seen. Ignoring the fact that after parting with my hard earned cash I have never been able to play it (crashes,bugs,rendering glitches,poor performance). This and other "poor" quality or just plain poor design pc titles are what has made me more cautious with my money.

glObalist
03-11-07, 04:50 AM
Makes one wonder, how hard is it to make the protection so it authenticates the unique CD/DVD key over the internet (a la WoW) and unless that's done there's no play whatsoever, even for SP games?

Toss3
03-11-07, 04:56 AM
LOL they're actually "blaming" the ones who pay 600$ for a vid card? :rolleyes: Seriously those are the ones that do PAY for their games, while the children who don't have any money to spend, pirate games.

I really don't see why people just don't purchase games in the first place; 50-70$ isn't that much. And by paying for the game, you're also helping the developers as they get more money for their next game.

If you can't afford 50$ then wait a couple of weeks and buy it for maybe 20$ off, if it's a trade-in or just a used copy or something. :)

Game stores like EB-games also have programs that allow you to trade old games for new ones, with a small fee of course, but that's still 100times better than pirating them.

So DON'T PIRATE GAMES!!

BioHazZarD
03-11-07, 05:25 AM
Anyone remember when Doom3 got released? Well before it hit retail it got released on the net and i think it broke some kind of record as the most downloaded pc game back then... yet later on id said that the game sold more then they would ever dream off.

Bad_Boy
03-11-07, 05:37 AM
Looking into this, is this accurate??? C&C3 Preorders right behind Halo3? And SupCom right behind that?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/51550011/ref=pd_ts_pg_2/104-9047639-3013516?ie=UTF8&pg=2
To be fair, most preorders happen within the last few months before a game released. Halo 3 preorders will surely go up as the game comes closer, theres no reason to preorder a game 10 months in advanced imo.

buffbiff21
03-11-07, 06:11 AM
Anyone remember when Doom3 got released? Well before it hit retail it got released on the net and i think it broke some kind of record as the most downloaded pc game back then... yet later on id said that the game sold more then they would ever dream off.

I do recall that :D I was one of the pirates. Of course I still bought the game though.
Built my first system just to play that game maxed out. Newcastle 3000+, 6600gt, 1gb ram.. ahh teh memories :wonder:

ASUSEN7900GTX
03-11-07, 06:43 AM
in sweden games for PS3 and 360 costs about 600-800SEK

that is like alot ofo money even dvd players are cheaper than that

i mena if there is 30 really wanna have ass kick 360 games take then about 700x30 and tell that it is cheap....naah in sweden a normal inmncome gamer can afford a game every second month or every game depeding on income of course

well lesser prices more buyers