PDA

View Full Version : 20 GB PS3 discontinued?

saturnotaku
03-11-07, 06:00 PM
Having seen only a small handful of 20 GB PS3s since the beginning of January and none since I bought mine, I'm thinking that Sony did indeed discontinue those models. If you look, you'll see only the 60s on display and mentioned in ads. It makes sense in a way since Sony was losing more money on the 20s, but still to see them disappear from the market so quickly after launch is surprising.

toxikneedle
03-11-07, 06:04 PM
i think it's more likely that sony is simply manufacturing a very small amount of them and they sell out very quick. you're average gamer doesn't care for what the 60gb version offers, and 500 bucks is expensive as it is.

AthlonXP1800
03-11-07, 06:15 PM
I think PS3 in shortage supply are probably 20GB models, Sony will refill the supply to cease shortage in May.

kevJ420
03-11-07, 06:20 PM
I think they should simply sell the console for a set price then let you select from whatever Hard drive which is desired.

That would increase their sales, b/c it could be like $449.99 or something like that and most people wouldn't factor the hard drive into that, by that I mean they'll forget the cost of a hard drive and then think they're paying for not much more than x360 premium.

Bad_Boy
03-11-07, 06:59 PM
I think PS3 in shortage supply are probably 20GB models, Sony will refill the supply to cease shortage in May.
Yup, clearly they are manufacturing more. Shown by the lack of them in europe. But they said they would ship them this summer for Europe, so it's safe to assume NA will get the same treatment.

Toss3
03-12-07, 07:01 AM
Except then you'd have people walking out of the store with PS3s without hard drives...and basically every game released REQUIRES access to the PS3s HDD.

That would be like selling the XBox360 Core without the DVD-ROM drive...or the Wii without its disc drive.
But they could buy any laptop Hard drive of their choosing, for much less than the one Sony put into the ps3. :)

Marvel_us
03-12-07, 08:41 AM
But they could buy any laptop Hard drive of their choosing, for much less than the one Sony put into the ps3. :)

I doubt the removal of the HDD would bring the price down. I mean, sure it does cost them to put one in but I don't think it's something that if removed would've changed the PS3 price.....Blu-ray player on the other hand, well......:p Also remember that there are a lot of people who probably don't even know what a hard drive looks like. So leaving something like that up to the consumer can get messy.

What kind of puzzles me is the fact that the HDD is a requirement in games. They had the foresight to make devs use the HDD but they did not make other requirements, mainly network features.....so despite the delay I think it's pretty evident Sony is still trying to pull up their pants and get their act together.

kevJ420
03-12-07, 11:28 AM
Actually, something I think would be good would be having a BD-rom one and one with only an hardrive. they could just have the games downloaded on the one w/o the bd-rom drive, although they'd need a much bigger hard disk than 60GB.

But that's probably a stupid idea to everyone else.

|MaguS|
03-12-07, 11:29 AM
Actually, something I think would be good would be having a BD-rom one and one with only an hardrive. they could just have the games downloaded on the one w/o the bd-rom drive, although they'd need a much bigger hard disk than 60GB.

But that's probably a stupid idea to everyone else.

Yeah really stupid, then you would be splitting the market meaning that developers would focus on neither since their sales would be lower if they focused on one. That is the reason Sony made sure that every PS3 had an HD aswell as BDROM so that developers don't have to worry about the lowest common denominator.

Mr. Hunt
03-12-07, 12:06 PM
Yeah really stupid, then you would be splitting the market meaning that developers would focus on neither since their sales would be lower if they focused on one. That is the reason Sony made sure that every PS3 had an HD aswell as BDROM so that developers don't have to worry about the lowest common denominator.

And it would be AWESOME when the game releases... and you have the PS3 without the drive, so you just sit there downloading the game... and then OH NOES U R OUT OF SPAEC! BETAR DELETE SOM OF UR GAEMS!

Imbroglio
03-12-07, 01:26 PM
And it would be AWESOME when the game releases... and you have the PS3 without the drive, so you just sit there downloading the game... and then OH NOES U R OUT OF SPAEC! BETAR DELETE SOM OF UR GAEMS!

hold i have to cancel this download and then swap HDDs so that i can redownload it to another HDD... oh crap and downloadable content, damnit, maybe a memory stick? i dunno, let me go get another HDD.

Marvel_us
03-12-07, 11:56 PM
Thank god PS3 allows for use of external HDDs.;)