PDA

View Full Version : CORE2 Quads through the floor!!

Pages : [1] 2

methimpikehoses
03-12-07, 12:31 PM
Just read this on TR:

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/12011

Quads for $266!!(nana2)

nVidi0t
03-12-07, 12:35 PM
W00t!!

|MaguS|
03-12-07, 12:39 PM
I don't believe that...

grey_1
03-12-07, 12:45 PM
Still unconfirmed though.

Ancient
03-12-07, 12:51 PM
If this is true, Intel seems really hell-bent on driving AMD into the ground. That kind of pricing could be the final stake through the heart unless the K8L whoops some major bootay at a rock-bottom price.

Toss3
03-12-07, 12:52 PM
Just read this on TR:

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/12011

Quads for $266!!(nana2)
Saw those yesterday, and they don't seem quite right, because those prices are just ridiculous. Sure hope they turn out to be true though! :)

buffbiff21
03-12-07, 12:59 PM
holy *****

superklye
03-12-07, 01:18 PM
Well, if that's the case, it looks like I'll be getting a Q6600 at the end of April and another in Q3.

:D

DiscipleDOC
03-12-07, 01:46 PM
I'm waiting for the price to go down on the A64 6000. It should be coming down in a few weeks, and I'm gonna get one! :thumbsup:

J-Mag
03-12-07, 01:49 PM
Well these are all prices in 1k lots, so expect to pay more.

CaptNKILL
03-12-07, 02:43 PM
All the more reason for me to get an E6320 when the prices drop. Cheap upgrade to get into the 775 platform, and then when all of the new high-tech games are out and making use of quad cores, I can pick one up next year for dirt cheap. :D

If this isn't true though... oh well. It doesn't really effect the next step in my upgrade plan. :)

methimpikehoses
03-12-07, 03:39 PM
All the more reason for me to get an E6320 when the prices drop. Cheap upgrade to get into the 775 platform, and then when all of the new high-tech games are out and making use of quad cores, I can pick one up next year for dirt cheap. :D

If this isn't true though... oh well. It doesn't really effect the next step in my upgrade plan. :)

Hopefully by Q3 we'll have a game or two that will make me want a quad.

Tygerwoody
03-12-07, 04:01 PM
this would be bad news. I'm all for Intel being on top, but AMD is going to go out of business here soon. They are getting anihilated by Nvidia and Intel. If they do in fact drive AMD out of the market, look forward to rediculouslly high prices and a VERY slow progress in technology as far as CPU/GPU's are concerned.

I don't believe that low price will happen anyway.

bob saget
03-12-07, 06:16 PM
wow that price is so cheap compared to what they were...... too bad i wont be able to buy anything for a while :(

Bman212121
03-12-07, 06:24 PM
this would be bad news. I'm all for Intel being on top, but AMD is going to go out of business here soon. They are getting anihilated by Nvidia and Intel. If they do in fact drive AMD out of the market, look forward to rediculouslly high prices and a VERY slow progress in technology as far as CPU/GPU's are concerned.

I don't believe that low price will happen anyway.

I highly doubt dropping the prices on a couple of processors is enough to send another company packing. the Q6600 is probably less than 1% of Intel's revenue, so it is not going to make an astounding difference to the overall picture.

If it does happen, it will be good news because it means that they are getting good yields, so they are able to mass produce the processors quite cheap.

Bearclaw
03-12-07, 06:34 PM
If this does indeed happen I will for sure get a q6600.

Tho Jo Smale
03-12-07, 07:39 PM
I would remark that the price drops are being caused by AMD and Barcelona being just over the horizon.

It's good news for everyone....a new kick ass product from AMD and cheaper kick ass products from Intel.

can you see a downside?

I cant!

JC

Ancient
03-12-07, 08:01 PM
I would remark that the price drops are being caused by AMD and Barcelona being just over the horizon.

It's good news for everyone....a new kick ass product from AMD and cheaper kick ass products from Intel.

can you see a downside?

I cant!

JC
There's a downside if the AMD product doesn't kick a whole lotta ass.

SH64
03-12-07, 08:05 PM
Good to hear as i was about to get a QX6700 .. now maybe i should wait further.

nrdstrm
03-12-07, 09:19 PM
There's a downside if the AMD product doesn't kick a whole lotta ass.

QFT...Though I hope it does kick ass...It's better for the market...With the whole R600 debacle (thus far), it is, in fact looking dimmer and dimmer for AMD. I mean hard core fan boys can only get you so many sales. I hope AMD does kick the crap out of Intel again, for cometition sake, but I'll probably stick with my c2d for another 6 months to a year, then buy a Quad core from Intel (due to mobo replacement, etc). The only way that would change for me is if the AMD is head and shoulders above the C2D's (like the way the C2D's were over X2's)...In that case, I may shell out the cash to go AMD again..

Working in an "enthusiast computer store", I can tell you at the moment we sell 80% C2D products at the moment. Basically, A64's and X2's (along with Pentium D's) have become the new "Celeron" (at least where I work)...

**EDIT** Forgot to add, before the C2D's, for the last several years, it was more like 70% X2/A64, and 30% Pentium 4/D...

DiscipleDOC
03-12-07, 09:25 PM
If this does indeed happen I will for sure get a q6600.
:udawg:
Your sig is the sig of the year!:D

Sazar
03-12-07, 10:36 PM
This I have to see since the cost price of the quads at the moment is actually not that much less than some of the discounts (naturally, Intel's base cost is lower than the cost price of e-taillers).

A celery style quad can't be that bad an option, but how crippled will it be?

Ancient
03-12-07, 10:56 PM
QFT...Though I hope it does kick ass...It's better for the market...With the whole R600 debacle (thus far), it is, in fact looking dimmer and dimmer for AMD. I mean hard core fan boys can only get you so many sales. I hope AMD does kick the crap out of Intel again, for cometition sake, but I'll probably stick with my c2d for another 6 months to a year, then buy a Quad core from Intel (due to mobo replacement, etc). The only way that would change for me is if the AMD is head and shoulders above the C2D's (like the way the C2D's were over X2's)...In that case, I may shell out the cash to go AMD again..

Working in an "enthusiast computer store", I can tell you at the moment we sell 80% C2D products at the moment. Basically, A64's and X2's (along with Pentium D's) have become the new "Celeron" (at least where I work)...

**EDIT** Forgot to add, before the C2D's, for the last several years, it was more like 70% X2/A64, and 30% Pentium 4/D...
I really hope the K8L is a great chip. If it weren't for AMD we'd probably still be running some slow, outrageously expensive PII variant. AMD is the reason C2Duos and Quads are on the market today and is why they are affordable too. AMD has kept Intel on its toes.

That's a double-edged sword though. I love my C2D but it's so good you have to wonder if AMD can answer. If they can't, what happens?

jAkUp
03-12-07, 11:05 PM
...you have to wonder if AMD can answer. If they can't, what happens?

It's called 4x4 :p

As for me, I will wait for the 45nm's to go Quad... Kentsfield's pull too much power for my liking.

nrdstrm
03-12-07, 11:18 PM
Oh yeah Jakup? Then go for a 50w quad xeon... :P Obviously, that won't be a problem down the road as the 50w quads xeons are already available :)