PDA

View Full Version : Where in the world....

fastguy94416
07-28-02, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know where to find a .13 micron athlon XP 1800+?

(to buy)

Maniac
07-28-02, 08:43 PM
I did not know the .13 1800+ were out!!

Lou Natic
07-28-02, 10:20 PM
They aren't out, yet. Probably won't be really available for about 2 months.

NeoGeo
07-29-02, 04:34 AM
they serve no advantage over the older Palomino core, they just have a smaller core and smaller die! This makes the new T-Breds about 10% hotter! Stick with a palomino or wait for the barton, they will use 0.13, hopefully making use of a heatspreader like the P4!

PCarr78
07-29-02, 08:21 AM
... is carmen sandiego?

IHS = less crushed cores?

Matthyahuw
07-29-02, 10:05 AM
Hotter???
Isn't a die-shrink supposed to make a chip cooler by needing less voltage to run?

NeoGeo
07-29-02, 10:09 AM
yes indeed it is, it uses less voltage and a smaller core, however the actual area it has to transfer its heat to the heatsink is fairly small compared to the palomino, thus hotting things up a bit!!!

pelly
07-29-02, 10:27 AM
You are both correct...

A die-shrink does require less voltage, so there is less heat...

A die-shrink minimizes the amount of surface area used to release heat...

The solution is the use of a heat-plate or heat-spreader like the P4 uses. This plate is larger than the die to increase the amount of surface area ( cools faster ) while maintaining the benefits of a smaller die ( lower voltage, etc... )

An added bonus of the heat-spreader is that it can act as a shim of sorts and prevent the dreaded "crushed core" situation...

:D

NeoGeo
07-29-02, 10:31 AM
yes but u cant buy heat spreaders for the Athlons... for the heat spreader were prob gonna have to wait for the Barton....

to hell with it ill stick with my palomino :D

pelly
07-29-02, 10:35 AM
I never understood why AMD didn't integrate the heat-spreader with their CPU's...especially after the bad press about crushed-cores. I can't imagine the extra cost would be much and the benefits would surely justify the change...

Oh well, what do we know?

john19055
07-29-02, 10:44 AM
Is any of the new amd chips going to use a 166 FSB.I don't understand why they have'nt went to a 166 FSB because it would be faster.Would'nt that make the bandwith gretter inreturn make games run faster.

NeoGeo
07-29-02, 10:51 AM
becuase everyone doesnt have a motherboard capable of 166FSB!! think about people with the N-Force, a fairly new motherboard, yet the Athlon would suddenly become incompatible with it!! The N-Force for example has a 266 DDR limit on its chipset, another example is the KR7A, a fairly new and overclockable board, but the natural top end of the FSB is 133, or 266 DDR. It just wouldnt work, not for a while any way.

This is much like the change from Athlon Bs to Athlon Cs, (100 - 133 FSB increase). Everybody with the old KT7 which only naturally supported 100MHz FSB wasn't very happy! This is probably one of the reasons AMD never took the Duron to 133. To give customers with old boards at least a chance to upgrade.

netviper13
07-29-02, 11:20 AM
But with the heat-spreader, we won't have access to those bridges!

pelly
07-29-02, 11:25 AM
We might have to resort to the ol'
"put it in a bag in the freezer for awhile, attack with the screwdriver and hope for the best" trick!

:p

I have faith in the overclocking community...every time a new obstacle presents itself, someone gets creative and finds a solution. This one would be tricky though...

Raptorman
07-29-02, 12:25 PM
I hope the Barton has a heat spreader. Even with a monster Volcano 7+ that I have on my processor this XP 2100+ still runs hot. I've not had any problems from it yet, but I keep the fan on the heatsink running around 6500RPMs to keep the processor at 117 F during heavy gameplay. I even have an external fan sitting beside my case blowing air over the video card, and my heatsink and fan on the processor to keep this video card from frying itself.

So yes, AMD - WE NEED A HEAT SPREADER! imo.

As for the FSB speeds. I still use an A7M266 with my XP 2100+ and it works great. Runs better than what I thought it would, and I never have to turn down graphical options. Now, think of all the people that have motherboards that are, or are like the A7A266 or the A7M266. If you moved to a 166FSB that would upset those people very much, and me because the motherboards we have still have a lot of life left in them.
When the Barton is available I hope to see a 166FSB, but not on the .13micron XP's. That way I may be able to upgrade one more time before having to switch to a new motherboard to get the Barton, and I could wait longer for a higher speed Barton, and also for the motherboard manufacturers to work out all the glitches with the first release of motherboards.

StealthHawk
07-29-02, 08:26 PM
the nforce is new :confused:

AMD has said that they would consider increasing the FSB to 166Mhz. however, it seems rather doubtful that they would, seeing as Hammer will be out next year. why bother? then again, with Hammer's delay it might give AMD some extra leverage to combat Intel with.

NeoGeo
07-29-02, 08:29 PM
AMD have got their customers. Enough people realise where AMD benefits, and in the longterm AMD is gonna rule for performance once again!! With the release of the barton AMD are gonna be well on the way to throwing Intel off the top as far as performance is concerned. :)

fastguy94416
07-29-02, 08:30 PM
I am right now going to buy me an athlon xp1800+

my t-bird 1ghz has seen enough, and will live to fight another day in my moms computer.

Hammer is after my XP

netviper13
07-30-02, 12:49 AM
You'll like the 1800+...on my mobo I can easily hit 147 FSB with it, and that's probably not all. My voltage control is kinda crazy (it's about .4 volts lower than what I set it at) and I'm pretty sure that's what is keeping me from going higher.

StealthHawk
07-30-02, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by NeoGeo
AMD have got their customers. Enough people realise where AMD benefits, and in the longterm AMD is gonna rule for performance once again!! With the release of the barton AMD are gonna be well on the way to throwing Intel off the top as far as performance is concerned. :)

actually AMD has been losing market share lately. Barton won't dethrone Intel. Intel will release 3GHz CPUs before the end of the year. i highly doubt AMD will have a fast enough chip to combat that, it will mainly depend on how much performance Barton has over standard Athlon XPs

netviper13
07-30-02, 01:51 AM
The Hammer chip will decide whether or not AMD is to be a direct competitor to Intel, or whether AMD will become just like Apple (ok, maybe an over-statement).

I think the Hammer will do well, as it performs great, should be fairly cheap to manufacture, and will not run into compatibility issues that Intel's 64-bit chip will.

fasedww
08-06-02, 06:31 AM
Well won't you still be able to use the new xp if it had a 166 bus in your 266 bus motherboard? like using faster ram say pc 2700 in the pc 2100 motherboards? you just won't get the extra bandwith until you overclock, I run 145 on my asus A7V266E, Use pc 2700 too'.

NeoGeo
08-06-02, 07:07 AM
i cant say it will be totally reliable!