PDA

View Full Version : Racing wheels, whos got em?

Bad_Boy
03-12-07, 03:43 PM
As soon as the immersion announcements come through (should be soon according to motorstorm devs), I plan on getting the G25 Logitech wheel. It costs a pretty penny but I think it's worth it. No longer will I be forced to use a controller in racing games. How it should be imo, with a quality wheel.

So who has the wheels? Logitech/Momo/360 wheel, etc. Got pics? video? Impressions (how do you like them, which game to play it with)? or just post pictures of cool random racing setups. :)

siorai
03-12-07, 05:03 PM
I had a Logitech wheel and pedals for my PS2. It was kindof neat, but a pain in the ass to setup just to play Gran Turismo. Eventually I got tired of screwing around with it and found out I was just as good, if not better with the normal controller.. I guess if you have a dedicated game room and/or can have it setup permanently it would rock. Otherwise it can just be a hassle depending on your console setup.

tornadog
03-12-07, 05:46 PM
I had the MAdcatz universal for the xbox. I used when I got Forza but I found that it made no difference to my performance. In fact it was more of a hassle and I kept tripping on the cables. When I sold the xbox, I didnt even bother selling the wheel, just threw it in the trash

whiskeychaser
03-12-07, 08:20 PM
I have the G25. It's as good as advertised. Wheels can be a hassle to set up and remove, so plan for that. I leave mine in place except for the stick shifter. But you can't disconnect anything from the wheel on the g25 without removing it from the desktop, so I just leave the stick on the floor behind the pedals. Good luck!

Shamrock
03-12-07, 09:39 PM
I have the G25, and love it. I thought it would be cheap made....no way!!!! the 900 degree axis is awesome too. Good quality stuff. The only thing I DON'T like about it. The shifter panel. It's set too far back for my liking. I guess bigger hands would be ok, but I have to take my hand off the shifter to select a button.

MustangSVT
03-12-07, 09:49 PM
I have 3 wheels.

Thrustmaster Ferrari FFB GT
Logitech Driving Force Pro
Logitech G25

I was able to get the G25 quite cheaply, about $220 US at the time. It's a very good wheel. How many racing games do you play? If you get the G25, you just have to get LFS and also either GTR2 or rFactor (rF has some nice mods as does GTR2, GTR2 feels the better "out of the box game" IMHO, but rFactor has amazing F1 mods).

Burner_Tbird2
03-12-07, 10:31 PM
I have the Driving Force Pro and use it for GT4 and rFactor w/the F1C 05 mod. Haven't played either since I moved to a new apt. as I have no decent table/stand to mount it on. I know rFactor has some newer mods for the F1 series that I want to take a look at but will have to update my seating situation first.

Bman212121
03-12-07, 10:47 PM
I actually just downloaded the demos of both rFactor and GTR2. I swear they are almost the same game in a lot of ways. The only thing was that I turned on beginner in rFactor and it took me a few minutes to figure out that the computer was practically doing everything for me. I couldn't figure out why the car wanted to turn away from where I was trying to steer it, then I found the options. It is fun but there are too many options for me. Then I played GTR2 and out of the box the steering is redicously sensitive. I'm using a gamepad and I couldn't control the car until I turned it down some. This game feels more polished, but it probably doesn't have as many options as rFactor.

I really want to try these guys with that wheel, but I can't justify forking over the $250 for the G25. It would seem like steering would be much better suited, and since you can use parital throttle and braking it would be easier there as well.

Sorry about the rant, but I actually have a question as well. Would anyone suggest just getting a cheaper wheel first to try out and see if you like it, then saving up and getting a G25 later? I've never tried a wheel, so I'd hate to spend $250 only to decide that I don't like it.

/end threadhijack (Sorry Bad_boy)

Shamrock
03-12-07, 11:11 PM
Driving Force Pro is decent price, and works with PC or PS2/PS3 I think roughly $80. Also take a look at the black MOMO (it creaks like an old floor to me!)

The reason GTR2 and rFactor look/feel like the same game, it's becaise GTR2 uses ISI's GMotor2 racing engine. ISI designed rFactor.

MustangSVT
03-12-07, 11:48 PM
I suggest then either a Logitech DFP or Logitech MOMO. If you want good paddles, go for the Logitech MOMO. About $100 nowadays I think..

Bad_Boy
03-13-07, 12:03 AM
No problem Bman212121, I don't own a wheel either. And for a while I figured I should just get a cheaper one just to see if I like it. But thinking about upcoming games I would love to use a wheel in, I figured I mind as well just save up a little and go for the best one I can get. I've heard good things about the driving force pro so that wouldnt be a bad place to start.

Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna have to figure out how I'm gonna use the wheel in front of my tv, my coffee table is kinda oddly shaped so I don't know if it will connect ok. But I'm sure I'll figure something out.

MustangSVT, can I ask where you got your G25 so cheap from? If I can get it for a good price I might as well order it now. :P

Bman212121
03-13-07, 02:14 AM
No problem Bman212121, I don't own a wheel either. And for a while I figured I should just get a cheaper one just to see if I like it. But thinking about upcoming games I would love to use a wheel in, I figured I mind as well just save up a little and go for the best one I can get. I've heard good things about the driving force pro so that wouldnt be a bad place to start.

Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna have to figure out how I'm gonna use the wheel in front of my tv, my coffee table is kinda oddly shaped so I don't know if it will connect ok. But I'm sure I'll figure something out.

MustangSVT, can I ask where you got your G25 so cheap from? If I can get it for a good price I might as well order it now. :P

+1, I've only found it for about $250. The only thing that I'm leary about getting one of the cheaper ones is that one of them (Think the DFP) had problems with the pedals wearing out and wouldn't give full response after a while. The G25 was supposed to fix that problem with all new pedals.

EDIT: It actually sounds like both the DFP and MOMO suffered from that problem, but the DFP got a new revision, and the MOMO didn't. I might look into a DFP then as long as the pedals aren't going to brake after a little use.

Bad_Boy
03-13-07, 03:51 AM
Sounds like a plan on the DFP, my cousin has it and I havent heard him say anything really bad about it.

Lowest I can find the G25 for is 250 as well. :/ I'll probably order within the next couple weeks.