PDA

View Full Version : System Shock 2 vs. G80 - Oh noes... the dither!!

swaaye
03-12-07, 04:22 PM
This game runs in 16-bit mode only. It looks absolutely terrible on my 8800. By that I mean it has the worst dithering of 16-bit that I have ever seen in my life. I was recently playing it on my old 9700 and it looks vastly better on there. Same with my notebook's 6800 works fine with the game.

It seems to be doing a really bad ordered dither. Everything is banded all to hell.

Yeah it's ancient, but I like to play it occasionally cuz it's just a total classic.

AdamK47
03-12-07, 04:32 PM
For whatever reason the people who made the game did not see a reason for the game to support 32-bit color. What a bunch of goobers.

particleman
03-12-07, 06:39 PM
Actually ATi's 16-bit dithering is worse than nVidia's 16-bit dithering. However, when you enable anti-aliasing on ATi cards it forces games into 32-bit, since the 9700 and newer couldn't do FSAA in 16-bit. Due to the uproar at the time, ATi made a workaround: force games to run in 32-bit when AA is enabled. So that is why old 16-bit games look better on ATi cards.

|MaguS|
03-12-07, 06:54 PM
This game runs in 16-bit mode only. It looks absolutely terrible on my 8800. By that I mean it has the worst dithering of 16-bit that I have ever seen in my life. I was recently playing it on my old 9700 and it looks vastly better on there. Same with my notebook's 6800 works fine with the game.

It seems to be doing a really bad ordered dither. Everything is banded all to hell.

Yeah it's ancient, but I like to play it occasionally cuz it's just a total classic.

Thats normal for the game saddly.

AdamK47, It is a limitation of the engine... You ever insult Irrational again and I will hunt you down and beat you with the games box. :o

Game is still better then most of the FPS crap that has released in the last couple of years...

AdamK47
03-12-07, 09:07 PM
Thats normal for the game saddly.

AdamK47, It is a limitation of the engine... You ever insult Irrational again and I will hunt you down and beat you with the games box. :o

Game is still better then most of the FPS crap that has released in the last couple of years...

Your avatar is both arousing and confusing.

|MaguS|
03-12-07, 09:08 PM

:D

Muppet
03-13-07, 02:09 AM
I was also looking at that the other night, trying to figure it out.

CaptNKILL
03-13-07, 07:10 AM
I'm almost positive that I did some kind of tweak to get this game running in 32bit or at least 24bit color.

RejZoR
03-13-07, 06:29 PM
The engine is pimped up (seriously pimped up) Dark Engine from Thief. So there are certain limitations by engine itself. It's really sad to see such incredible games get broken because drivers or graphic cards change so much (or OS itself). Only thing that calms me a bit is BioShock which will (hopefully) once again join the jaw dropping graphics and state of the art gameplay along with superb storyline. System Shock 2, rest in peace. I'll never forget the experience...

|MaguS|
03-13-07, 07:21 PM
I will always have System Shock 2 installed. If it doesn't run in Vista then I am not going to switch to vista till it does...

kevJ420
03-13-07, 08:05 PM
Actually ATi's 16-bit dithering is worse than nVidia's 16-bit dithering. However, when you enable anti-aliasing on ATi cards it forces games into 32-bit, since the 9700 and newer couldn't do FSAA in 16-bit. Due to the uproar at the time, ATi made a workaround: force games to run in 32-bit when AA is enabled. So that is why old 16-bit games look better on ATi cards.

Sounds like that's the only smart thing ATI ever did. Sounds like something only 3dfx would do (they actually did do some similar things.) Send nvidia the suggestion to do what ATI does w/ FSAA.

I had never known that 16 bit quality was down, but they can make that a positive like ATI did. Please nv, please. Imagine playing all of those phat-ass games in 32 bit color from 1999 that had no business not using 32 bit color.

In fact, 1999 is actually the year from which the majority of my favorite pc games come from.