PDA

View Full Version : 37" LCD Monitor Splurge!

Pages : [1] 2 3

TiKiMaN1
03-12-07, 10:59 PM
:jumping:

What can I say it will be fun to have a big screen!

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=56

Gaming is going to be a blast! It scored 90% Editors Choice at PC Gamer. Surpassing the Dell 30" and the HP.:)

Fun PC Gaming and Xbox 360 days are ahead. The 37" will be here on Wednesday.:D

Gears of War players I will soon be back.:D

$989 @ Mwave http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?scriteria=aa51700

http://imageigloo.com/images/9776Westinghouse-LVM_37w3.jpg

Labyrinth
03-12-07, 11:05 PM
What happened to the BenQ?

TiKiMaN1
03-12-07, 11:10 PM
What happened to the BenQ?

A couple of things.

1. It was suppose to release this last Friday (March 9th), but the US release date got pushed back to March 24. You can buy the LCd from NCIX in Canda and have it shipped to the US, but I would rather not worry about silly :canadian: post.;)

2. The 37" is bigger has more inputs and people have been loving the LCD from everything that I have read.:D

By the way did I mention 37"?:naughty:

TiKiMaN1
03-12-07, 11:18 PM
Anyone here have a Westinghouse?

methimpikehoses
03-13-07, 01:18 AM
THAT IS A BIG MONITOR. :afraid: The real question is does it actually add the 37" directly to your e-penis.

WeReWoLf
03-13-07, 01:29 AM
No, Any monitor over the size of 22" only adds half it's size to E-Penis. It's the amount of money you have/are willing to spend that doubles your overall size of said E-Penis.

Bman212121
03-13-07, 02:08 AM
I think at 1080p it could easily be the exception to the rule. We have the 32w6 for the family room, and it has been a great tv. The tuner gets in everything, and the inputs like the pc a lot better than another monitor I tried.

TiKiMaN1
03-13-07, 04:18 AM
Well I received my shipping confirmation from Mwave.:D

I will have to post pictures on Wednesday. (nana2)

Rakeesh
03-13-07, 05:09 AM
Yeah thats a pretty good TV/monitor. (Hell, it has PiP, so it can be used for both simultaneously.)

About the only website I have seen give it a poor review is c-net and its derivatives, but whoever reviewed it was some kind of artsy fartsy snob and not a PC enthusiast. They cited "pedestrian styling" as part of their justification for a low score. How snooty can you get?

Stoneyguy
03-13-07, 07:00 AM
Why not get the 42" for just a litte bit more? (http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=122&utm_id=17&ref=pricegrabber&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WELVM42W2&sku=WELVM42W2) :)

haloeighty8
03-13-07, 07:15 AM
Very nice Tiki.. I kinda wanted to see how that Benq worked out but this seems like a better deal overall! ;) Got a PS3? 1080p looks incredible! You will love it..

This is what I got for HDTV and console gaming.. never tried hooking up my PC to it, guess I should one of these days.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/18326/LT46131.html?cid=378

saturnotaku
03-13-07, 07:47 AM
I like that Westy because it has DVI and VGA inputs in addition to HDMI.

|MaguS|
03-13-07, 08:41 AM
I like the size of the westy but the res is still limited to 1920x1080 which is a downer... I like gaming at higher res's. :)

ENU291
03-13-07, 08:41 AM
I own the 42" Westy and I LOVE IT! I suggest you hook your 360 up to the Component input and set the rez to 1080i.

TiKiMaN1
03-13-07, 08:46 AM
Yeah thats a pretty good TV/monitor. (Hell, it has PiP, so it can be used for both simultaneously.)

About the only website I have seen give it a poor review is c-net and its derivatives, but whoever reviewed it was some kind of artsy fartsy snob and not a PC enthusiast. They cited "pedestrian styling" as part of their justification for a low score. How snooty can you get?

:rofl Pedestrian Styling? 90% Editors Choice from PC Gamer is good enough for me.

OWA and Riptide have 37" Westinghouse displays I think...

Awesome! Well I hope they chime in with how they feel about it.:D

Why not get the 42" for just a litte bit more? (http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=122&utm_id=17&ref=pricegrabber&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WELVM42W2&sku=WELVM42W2) :)

I would really, but I'm saving every last dollar for the remaining components in my rig. Plus I can't even fathom 37". My last LCD was a 21" Gateway.

I own the 42" Westy and I LOVE IT! I suggest you hook your 360 up to the Component input and set the rez to 1080i.

So go for 1080i through component instead of 1080p through VGA?

Burner_Tbird2
03-13-07, 08:57 AM
I just bought that exact same LCD about 3wks ago and have been very happy with it. The only hang up I have is that the picture seems much cleaner when running thru the HDMI or DVI as opposed to the VGA port. However the monitor will only auto adjust to non-widescreen resolutions if running in VGA mode. I'm hoping that I just have a bad VGA cable or DVI->VGA converter. I have a new DVI->VGA cable arriving in the mail today, so I'll see if that was the culprit. In the mean time I only have one game that gets stretched, BF2142, all my other games have widescreen support so its not a big issue.

Also you'll want to run this monitor in the native res as much as possible. From what I understand the X360 will upconvert itself to 1080p with the latest firmware so I'd say that's your best bet. 1080i looks OK on this monitor but nothing compares to running at the native res.

TiKiMaN1
03-13-07, 09:04 AM
For those that have the display does 1920x1080 work for most PC Games? I know for example Half-Life 2 would work since you can set the 16x9 ratio. Does Company of Heroes worked well? I have done google search after google search and can not seem to find anything about CoH running at 1920x1080 res. Maybe some .ini hacks will come into handy at www.widescreengamingforums.com.;)

ENU291
03-13-07, 09:05 AM
So go for 1080i through component instead of 1080p through VGA?
If you have a VGA cable for the 360 then try both options. IMO the 360 looks alot better through the Component input (better color saturation and black level). You can also run the 360 via Component at 1080P. The reason I use 1080i is because I have the HD-DVD drive attached and the highest resolution available for HD-DVD video through the Component interface is 1080i. I'd rather not have the 360 switching resolutions everytime I want to watch an HD-DVD movie (ala PS3 style).

Burner_Tbird2
03-13-07, 09:18 AM
I have had zero trouble with Source games as, like you said, its got native WS support. Doom3 based games work widescreen as well, so that's Quake4 for ya. I play LOMAC for flight simming and it requires an lua edit but the widescreen works well enough that you wouldn't notice the stretching. BF games have a hack that allows WS but it is supposedly punk busted, I'm not going to try it online until I know that VGA input is just not as clean as HDMI on this monitor.

I don't own CoJ or CoH so I don't know about those, but the info I've found on http://www.widescreengamingforums.com has always been accurate thus far.

Tiki if you're planning to run this monitor thru the VGA port please let us know how your results compare to running thru the DVI or HDMI.

TiKiMaN1
03-13-07, 09:24 AM
Tiki if you're planning to run this monitor thru the VGA port please let us know how your results compare to running thru the DVI or HDMI.

I will certainly let you know about the VGA.:D I plan on running the PC through a DVI-D port and someday if an Xbox 360 with HDMI comes out I will use HDMI then or if I get a High Def player of some kind.

cschueths
03-13-07, 12:21 PM
I have the 42" Westinghouse (LVM-42w2) as well. My friends with their low-res plasmas are jealous when I'm using this 1920x1080 screen to surf the net from the sofa.

One minor problem- it makes my PS2 obsolete- 480i games stretched over a 42" screen looks absolutely crappy. It looks like I'll be getting myself an Xbox360 or PS3 sometime soon.

Bman212121
03-13-07, 01:00 PM
I'm sure most 16:10 games will do 16:9 as well. That shouldn't be a problem.

QFT. That means that COH, COD2, C&C3, rFactor, FEAR, GTR2, Oblivion, etc, etc should work just fine. Any game from the past couple years that I've tried working in widescreen, with the exception of Battlefield, and NFS. C&C 3 is WS, so EA might finally start to up onboard as well.

Bman212121
03-13-07, 01:03 PM
I have the 42" Westinghouse (LVM-42w2) as well. My friends with their low-res plasmas are jealous when I'm using this 1920x1080 screen to surf the net from the sofa.

One minor problem- it makes my PS2 obsolete- 480i games stretched over a 42" screen looks absolutely crappy. It looks like I'll be getting myself an Xbox360 or PS3 sometime soon.

Grab the PS3 because a decent amount of PS2 games can be put into 480p, which looks a lot better. They still won't look as good as the new games, but the PS3 does a good job with BC, and it can also upscale DVD's to your native res. I'm using my PS3 as a dvd player, and the same movie looks a lot better on the PS3 than it does on the PS2 or any dvd player that only outputs at 480i.

TiKiMaN1
03-13-07, 01:03 PM
QFT. That means that COH, COD2, C&C3, rFactor, FEAR, GTR2, Oblivion, etc, etc should work just fine. Any game from the past couple years that I've tried working in widescreen, with the exception of Battlefield, and NFS. C&C 3 is WS, so EA might finally start to up onboard as well.

We test with a 27" LCD here at work and I think that display is huge. 37" is going to be fetchin' amazing!:eek:

(nana2)

Bman212121
03-13-07, 01:11 PM
We test with a 27" LCD here at work and I think that display is huge. 37" is going to be fetchin' amazing!:eek:

(nana2)

You must be sitting on a couch to play your games cause I think this 24" is pushing my limit for screen size. I'd probably have to be like 5ft away from the screen to be comfortable using it. :)