PDA

View Full Version : Did Microsoft defeat Windows?

JemyM
03-13-07, 06:46 AM
How many do you know who bought Vista? I know noone. How many do you know who stopped to play games on PC and bought an XBox (or other console)? I know many.

PC was the dominating gaming platform up to 2003. Now experts say PC gaming have been declining during the later years. A simple search on gaming sites such as mobygames or gamerankings show this trend. The amount of PC games released each year have dropped drastically while the console titles for enduring brands (nintendo/sony) remains close to the same.

Reference: Mobygames
2006, Win: 497 titles, XBox 79+95 titles (2nd value = 360)
2005, Win: 602 titles, XBox 230+25 titles (2nd value = 360)
2004, Win: 763 titles, XBox 212 titles
2003, Win: 817 titles, XBox 222 titles <- Peak of the PC platform
2002, Win: 702 titles, XBox 177 titles
2001, Win: 660 titles, XBox 25 titles <- XBox released
2000, Win: 625 titles

It takes about 2-3 years to produce a modern game. If you compare this to the table above, note when XBox had grown to full.

In the recent years I have heard people promote Linux and Macintosh with "if I want games I buy a console". If you remove the games from Windows, what left is there?

My theory is, Microsoft defeated Windows like a mother leaving their favorite child in the woods. The greatest competitor against Vista is their own console and their attention to XBox have effectively halted and reversed their own growing market for their primary product.

Imagine if Microsoft had used their money to promote Windows as the competitor against Sony and Nintendo. Imagine if they would have invested research in gaming hardware for windows, bought "Windows Exclusives", advertised Windows as an entertainment platform with upcoming games. Imagine if XBox was a cheap hardware to connect PC to your television with just a DVD reader, plugs for a controller and wireless/lan to your PC.

Imagine if every XBox 360 exclusive game was instead a Vista exclusive game. Imagine if "XBox Vista" was sold, bundled with the hardware I mentioned above.

If that was the case, would you have bought Vista?

Point being: Microsoft defeated themselves by heavily promoting PC gamers to move from Windows to Consoles. They defeated their own primary product.

SOAD
03-13-07, 06:51 AM
But gamers arnt the biggest issue for Microsoft.

They are more interested in businesses taking up Vista.

Course no one has so they might as well turned it for gamers.
---------------------

Give it time however. It could change. We have yet to see DX10 fully.

JemyM
03-13-07, 07:07 AM
But gamers arnt the biggest issue for Microsoft.
They are more interested in businesses taking up Vista.
Course no one has so they might as well turned it for gamers.
Give it time however. It could change. We have yet to see DX10 fully.

Regardless what Microsoft believe, I think it's no secret that games have been a driving point behind the sucess of every version of Windows. This was extra obvious in the late 90'ies when competitors such as OS2 or Macintosh was left in the backwaters. For the rest of the population, Windows 95 is still good enough to write letters and documents.

I think that gamers represent a such large amount of the customers that if the gamers are persuaded to upgrade, the rest follows. Now unlike the average user, Gamers are easy to persuade because new cool games is more attractive to a gamer than new versions of the office package is to your average office.

Instead of grabbing XBox 360 exclusives, Microsoft should have had a large range of cool Vista Exclusive titles ready with the launch of Windows Vista.

The "Games for Windows" promotion campaign that Microsoft started now is the first time Microsoft bothered about the game market for PC since Windows 95. I think they grew overconfident in the beginning of y2k and forgot the ground they were standing on.

dsessom
03-13-07, 07:18 AM
I know at least 3 people who bought Vista. I personally am sticking with XP until Vista becomes the norm. There are still too many software compatability issues with Vista, and a few hardware compatability problems too.

I own both an original Xbox and a Xbox 360, but I do most of my gaming on the PC. Why? Mainly because I play FPS games and the Xbox controller isn't suited for rapid, precise movements, where a mouse is. Also, IMO graphics are still better on a gaming PC vs. Xbox360 and LCD HDTV.

six_storm
03-13-07, 07:30 AM
If Vista was the OS for the 360, it wouldn't work until now, almost a year and a half after release due to bugs and incompatibility. The wireless controller wouldn't even be recognized lol.

nekrosoft13
03-13-07, 10:23 AM
oh great another genius starting great threats

i personally know about 30+ people running vista right now

Richteralan
03-13-07, 10:54 AM
yes I didn't purchase Vista.

I got vista for free:afro2:

grey_1
03-13-07, 11:00 AM
At this current time I'm finding Vista to be something like my ex. Very beautiful, but when the warts show...look out! :p

Once the bugs are ironed out it will be quite the product for the average home user. I use it pretty frequently now, just to get used to it, and this isn't a flame btw, just statement of opinion, I wind up back on XP for gaming, or Linux.

Maybe after the first service pack is released and drivers have really matured it'll become my primary OS. Not yet though.

JemyM
03-13-07, 11:05 AM
I have yet to buy Vista myself since it doesnt offer me anything I need.
Windows 98 was less annoying than Windows 95 so the upgrade was natural. Windows XP offered greater stability than Windows 98 so that upgrade was also natural. For Vista I will probably wait until theres a DX10 game I want to play.

MaXThReAT
03-13-07, 01:56 PM
Now now, he has a very valid point. Though it's the wrong point it's still valid. Microsoft accomplished exactly what they set out to accomplish when they started planning this back in who knows, 2001 prolly. MS has defeated themselves on purpose to put the 360 on top. IMO MS plans on crushing PC gaming, not like the normal crush, crush as in Windows Live service crush. There are allot of articles floating around about how vista is the end of PC gaming as it was. It's not going away, it's just changing to side with MS and 360 ports. You think MGS is being ported to the PC? Games for Windows = Less money for MS except where they can have a monopoly. It's going to become 360 ports and MS games VS every single other PC game dev and publisher and I think we all know what happens when anyone goes against MS. I see MS "partnering" with many good PC devs. Epic anyone, they may even get to Id we know valve has already sold out.

grey_1
03-13-07, 02:38 PM
I see MS "partnering" with many good PC devs. Epic anyone, they may even get to Id we know valve has already sold out.
I'm not a huge fan of valves, but what happened? Do they have some agreement now?

MaXThReAT
03-13-07, 03:05 PM
I'm not a huge fan of valves, but what happened? Do they have some agreement now?

It was right around the time EP2, Portal and TF2 were announced for the 360 and delayed at the same time to allow for a simultaneous release on the 360 with the PC? They've been in agreement since HL2 was made for the 360. Ep2, Portal and TF2 have been gold for the PC a month or more. I'll bet they sell double the boxes for the 360. If it came out for the PC before the 360 MS wouldn't make as much. Valve is deep in MS's pocket.

S.I.N
03-13-07, 03:20 PM
It was right around the time EP2, Portal and TF2 were announced for the 360 and delayed at the same time to allow for a simultaneous release on the 360 with the PC? They've been in agreement since HL2 was made for the 360.

Its also coming to PS3 and is being published by EA. Valve games on consoles is nothing new.

JemyM
03-13-07, 03:40 PM
It was right around the time EP2, Portal and TF2 were announced for the 360 and delayed at the same time to allow for a simultaneous release on the 360 with the PC? They've been in agreement since HL2 was made for the 360. Ep2, Portal and TF2 have been gold for the PC a month or more. I'll bet they sell double the boxes for the 360. If it came out for the PC before the 360 MS wouldn't make as much. Valve is deep in MS's pocket.

This (http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/view.php?id=2397) say otherwise though.

MaXThReAT
03-13-07, 07:35 PM
This (http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/view.php?id=2397) say otherwise though.

well, not really, that says they don't see any value in Vista and that's not surprising at all. Valve is in the general MS pocket, valve has nothing to do with Vista. Do you really think valve cares about PC gaming? They care about money and the bottom line, ROIC. If you went to Doug L. and said, "you can make your game for the PC and make 15 million or you can make your game for our 360 and PC and you make 35 million but you can't put the PC version out before the 360 versions". I don't think they would give it a second thought even if it damaged the PC gaming market and convinced others to get a 360 and forget about the PC, in fact they did just that when they ported HL2. Pure console people know about HL and what it can look like on a PC compared to a 360. If they already have a 360 setup with a nice TV and a sub par PC, they’re getting the 360 versions either way. I’ll bet a good number of people got a 360 just for HL2. Yeah valve doesn't like vista but they sure love MS and the 360 and all the money it's bringing in and will bring in. Much much more than PC money. I mean read between the lines, id CEO Todd Hollenshead and Epic Games president Michael Capps both admitted that piracy of PC games caused their companies to pursue developing beyond the PC platform. I find that utter BS. What they should have said is "both admitted that the PC market is shrinking and they could make alot more money on the consoles and this caused their companies to pursue developing beyond the PC platform. Let it be because of piracy, that has been allowed to continue or just higher sales it's black and white when I look at the big picture. Vista is a 360 link tool, an easy port tool for 360 to PC and media center, O and it happens to play it's own games that come out twice a year. I still love everything that vista does and the games that will be on it but there is no stopping this, as I said, the wheels on this have been turning for a long time. It's up to the masses and the numbers speak volumes. That's all I have to say about that.

WeReWoLf
03-13-07, 08:38 PM
I myself run Vista, and i have personally done the upgrades for over 50 computers (various friends/family members and workmates.)

Sazar
03-14-07, 06:20 PM
Vista is awesome.

I just wish the other companies making products would step up to the plate and release patches/drivers for their software/hardware products to work properly.

Businesses will probably start adopting Vista when service pack 1 comes out :)

Otoh, Office 2007 is AWESOME. Going to place an order for the ultimate version soon, enterprise works well enough ;)