PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Mac's

UDawg
03-16-03, 11:39 PM
I have real questions about Mac's. I don't want opinions I want real evidence. I also want a little bias as possible. I really want to know how good or bad Mac's hardware is and how good or bad the OS is.

I keep hearing from the guys at work saying how great Mac is and how bad PC's are. It's funny cuz they don't know anything about PC's yet they say how bad they are. First off they still call them IBM clones. :rolleyes: Gives you a little insight as to their information.

Again I want to know how the G4 compares to the top of the line PC chip ect.

NO flaming NO jokes just real information.

BAHHHH posted in wrong forum. Please move to General Hardware.

Kain
03-17-03, 07:49 AM
I can tell you that the Mac OS X is a VERY stable OS. It's built on UNIX.

However, there are certain areas that Macs are better than PC, and some areas where PCs are better than Macs. It depends on your needs and wants.

I would also recommend asking this question on www.spymac.com

saturnotaku
03-17-03, 08:46 AM
Pound for pound, the PC is still an overall more powerful solution than the Mac in terms of needing to get tasks done quickly.

But nothing beats a Mac for stability and efficiency. OS X in its most recent iterations is a model of stability and ease of use. If you need a machine for professional video and audio, the Mac is your best bet.

If you want to play games and/or tinker around with your system's hardware, you want a PC. While the Mac's closed architecture is good for building an OS and making stuff as friendly as possible, it comes at the price of being able to change your hardware on your own for a minimum investment. Speaking of minimum investment, that's the main thing that's keeping me away from Mac - cost. They're just too expensive compared to the cost of a comparable PC I can build myself.

GlowStick
03-18-03, 03:35 PM
As a note, if Mac OS isnt your likeing you can install Linux on Mac's.

OliverRedfox
03-20-03, 05:45 PM
For video/photo editing Macs seem to have a slight advantage. I have friends who use both Macs and PC's at their photo store. When dealing with huge scanned photos over the network the Macs seems to run about twice as fast. However, some of the applications they run work better on the PCs. And then with other apps, it doesn't make a difference because both computers have more power then the apps need.

In general, it all comes down to the type of applications you run. Both Macs w/OS X and PCs w/XP will run stably and fast. But the variations in how x86 processors and G4's handle math and other calls will affect applications. For an ideal setup, you would have both type machines each running their ideal apps, but in real life you pick the machine the best fits your needs.

A lot of people buy the same type computer they have work so they can transfer files around easier. And for people that say Macs are too expensive, you can easily buy an older mac and put a g4 upgrade card in it. It just takes a little shopping around.

poursoul
03-20-03, 10:52 PM
Sorry i don't have a link, but i get maximum pc in the mail. Last mont, or the one before that, they did a comparison using up-to-date photo editing progs, and video editing progs. Needless to say the PC whooped A$$.

My personal opinion as a PC tech:

No need for a super stable mac if you know what you're doing on a PC. Which it seems like you do. The OS is pretty and even attracts me, but you can replace the shell and toolbars in windows for that. In my oppinion, a mac is like aol, if you don't want to ever do ANYTHING technical or tweak anything then the mac is for you. Macs are not open to changing anything other than the wallpaper, or scheme.

ricercar
03-21-03, 01:29 AM
While the MacOS software isn't fully open source yet, it's nonsense to say Macs still have closed hardware architecture. That was true up to the mid 90s, but stopped when Apple released PCI & IDE Macs in 1994, and has all but been obliterated in the last five years.

I swap components between my 4 macs and 3 pcs all the time: CDRWs or hard drives or printers or modems or LAN boxes or mice or keyboards, or digital cameras, on and on. I won't buy a hardware product unless it works on all of my machines. Yet in the last 5 years this has become a no brainer. It's harder to find a non-compatible component than to find one that is dual-platform.

Since Steve Jobs came back in 1997, Macs use commodity hardware parts just like any other custom PC manufacturer like Dell, Sony, Gateway, HPQ, etc. Any IDE, SCSI, Serial, FireWire/1394a or USB device that works on PCs will work on a a Macintosh. Sure the Dell and Apple cases are custom, but the hard drives and keyboards and mice will swap either direction with perfect compatability.

I haven't seen otherwise for years, except from small developer products or for specialty IO devices that need custom drivers. For example, while consumer audio has few options on a Mac besides SoundBlaster Live, that field is growing, as is Pro Audio and Video IO. My M Audio Delta audio IO cards work on both PCs and Macs. My FireWire & USB PCI cards work on a PC or Mac. My Adaptec SCSI controller PCI card works on a PC or mac, as do my LVD and ATA133/100/66 drives. My ethernet routers, switches, hubs, and wireless access points work equally well for PCs and Macs,and always have. I flash upgrade ROMs for peripheral devices from a PC or a from Mac. I overclock and mod cases and install pretty lights in my Macs as well as my PCs, and I buy accessories for both platforms from the same stores.

I participate in Mac tech forums blasting anti-PC posts with the same fervor that I blast anti-Mac posts. I don't mean to point fingers at people, only at false beliefs. I am an equal opportunity devil's advocate.

Pretty much the only common things that consistently won't work interchangeably between platforms are video cards and NICs, both of which require complex low-level high-performance optimized drivers that are expesnive to develop for both platforms. In the old days one could flash a BIOS and use the hardware like a video card on the alternate platform (usually PC->Mac for economic reasons). Unfortunately inter-platform compatability is now so prevalent that manufacturers like NVIDIA now put hardware straps in their products to PREVENT cross platform compatibility, to prevent consumers from using less-expensive PC products on Macs. Feh.

/soapbox

Admiral Horror
03-21-03, 10:29 AM
Simply put:

a) PC hardware is hands down better, faster, cheaper than Mac's hardware, no one in the sane mind will argue about that.

b) Macs OS X might be marginally better than Windows XP, but that's all subjective.

c) PCs have tons more software, especially games, than Macs

The only arguing point for Mac users is the OS X. They claim how stable it is and how pretty it is etc. etc. IMHO XP is just as stable as OS X if you run it on stable hardware with stable drivers. The reason why Macs earned their reputation of being stable compared to PCs are

a) many PC manufacturers try to cut costs and go for cheapass parts (like power supplies and memory)

b) some hardware manufacturers write crappy drivers

c) there are alot more viruses, worms, trojans spyware for PCs than for Macs, simply because there are more PCs than Macs.

All of those factors compromise the stability of PC. Apple on the other hand selects quality parts, writes their own drivers and does all quality control in house.

The absolutely best way to go when buying a new computer is to buy all quality brand name PC parts and put the PC together yourself (providing you know what you are doing, which I am sure you do). Take your time, do it right. Also install software that you need and trust, not just everything available for download from the net.

This is what I've done with my system and it's rock stable, very quete and very fast. I mean I haven't had a single crash yet and I've had it on 24/7 for months now. The only time I reboot it is when I install an update or an application that requires a reboot. It also cost about half of a midrange Mac and if put head to head will leave it in the dust.

Regards