PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Europe launch - Should i get one?

Pages : [1] 2

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 09:19 AM
So only a little over a week for the PS3 is released here in Denmark.
I have been thinking about getting one but only because i look forward to "home".
What games are comming and is it worth the price?

saturnotaku
03-14-07, 09:27 AM
Not for 499-599 I wouldn't. The only games out now that are worth playing IMO are Resistance, MotorStorm, and Untold Legends. Most stuff that's coming out for the PS3 in the near future will be available for the 360. If you're really into MGS, wait until that game gets closer to release before buying one. Also, by that time, hopefully most backward compatibility issues will be sorted as well.

DJMONDY
03-14-07, 09:39 AM
I felt the same way but then i cracked and i preordered one last week.

Its pricey but look how many people are ordering ps3's in the UK. you wont be the only stupid one out there spending 500+ on a console and a couple of games if it makes you feel any better.

Im getting motorstorm and resistance and im really looking forward to it despite the price.

Its up to you mate...

thor1182
03-14-07, 09:50 AM
well the PS3 beta wasn't a strong showing, but it muddled through (the US and Japan launches). It seems as though there are going to do a beta 2 with the Europe launch with releasing a new hardware version. Eventually they might release a full version that lives up to the Sony marketing.

Mr_LoL
03-14-07, 09:53 AM
I am going to get the 20gb model when it launches. Though I feel Sony would hold back on these to minimize their losses.

|MaguS|
03-14-07, 10:22 AM
Not for 499-599 I wouldn't. The only games out now that are worth playing IMO are Resistance, MotorStorm, and Untold Legends. Most stuff that's coming out for the PS3 in the near future will be available for the 360. If you're really into MGS, wait until that game gets closer to release before buying one. Also, by that time, hopefully most backward compatibility issues will be sorted as well.

Have you tried Untold Legends? I heard it wasn't too good but I usually like hack and slash games...

saturnotaku
03-14-07, 11:08 AM
Have you tried Untold Legends? I heard it wasn't too good but I usually like hack and slash games...

I've never been one for hack and slash titles myself, but I rented UL last weekend and enjoyed it. It's not particularly deep with regard to character customization (which I like) and the graphics would be pretty nice for the PS2, though subpar on the PS3. It's definitely worth renting, and if you have the Gamestop/EB discount card, a used copy is $40.

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 11:45 AM
This is a hard one :) On the one hand i like playing with new toys, but on the other hand there is not that manny games.

|MaguS|
03-14-07, 11:49 AM
There will be... Every month has a great title releasing. If your one for customization and robots then Armored Core releases nextweek...

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 11:56 AM
There will be... Every month has a great title releasing. If your one for customization and robots then Armored Core releases nextweek...

What type of video does it play? (i know it plays blueray:)) Can it play divx from the disk? Does it support streaming of content from a pc? In general what mulimedia stuff does it do?

Toss3
03-14-07, 12:23 PM
Not for €499-€599 I wouldn't. The only games out now that are worth playing IMO are Resistance, MotorStorm, and Untold Legends. Most stuff that's coming out for the PS3 in the near future will be available for the 360. If you're really into MGS, wait until that game gets closer to release before buying one. Also, by that time, hopefully most backward compatibility issues will be sorted as well.
More like 649€! :D If you've got the money then why not? It's always good to have all of the consoles. That way you get to play every awesome exclusve title that reaches the market. :)

Toss3
03-14-07, 12:25 PM
What type of video does it play? (i know it plays blueray:)) Can it play divx from the disk? Does it support streaming of content from a pc? In general what mulimedia stuff does it do?
You can just install Linux on it and it'll play anything you want.. :) I don't think streaming stuff from your pc to the ps3 is available at the moment, and haven't heard of any plans on making it available.

Hex
03-14-07, 02:35 PM
PS3 + 500 gig external drive = who needs streaming.
Can not say enough that Resistance should be your first pick up.

Lyme
03-14-07, 03:38 PM
You can just install Linux on it and it'll play anything you want.. :) I don't think streaming stuff from your pc to the ps3 is available at the moment, and haven't heard of any plans on making it available.

You can't play anything you want by putting linux on it, the graphics capabilities under linux are severely limited due to the lack of RSX support.

As for getting a PS3 because of the Home stuff, the Home stuff isn't due until August or later.

If your not psyched up about Resistance, Motorstorm or watching BlueRay moves, I'd wait a while and see how backwards compatibility is shaping up before deciding.

Bad_Boy
03-14-07, 03:53 PM
I would get one still knowing everything I know now. But in your case, if you want to save a little money, maybe waiting until summer for the 20GB unit wouldnt be that bad of an idea. Just replace the hard drive and you should be set. :)

Home isnt coming until fall, and i bet its going to be hard as **** getting into the april beta test with only 15,000 people worldwide being accepted.

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 04:02 PM
I'm so close at pushing the button :)

What is the "default" (no linux) media playback support?

nemecb
03-14-07, 04:13 PM
You can't play anything you want by putting linux on it, the graphics capabilities under linux are severely limited due to the lack of RSX support.
Not games, but media should play just fine. Any codecs that have been ported to the Power architecture (which most codecs with open source implementations like DivX or Xvid should have been) should work fine. Linux on the PS3 supports full 1080p output from what I can find. Having no experience with running Linux on PPC I can't say much more than that though.

Hex
03-14-07, 04:23 PM
I'm so close at pushing the button :)

What is the "default" (no linux) media playback support?

Mp4

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 04:57 PM
Mp4

ewww :( anny way to play divx? mpeg HD?

|MaguS|
03-14-07, 05:38 PM
Mp4 is great at high quality settings... I don't mind it at all. :o

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 06:09 PM
Mp4 is great at high quality settings... I don't mind it at all. :o

Yea MP4 is great but manny of my erhmmm "legal" downloaded movies is not in that format, and i dont want to convert my ehhhh "small" video collection :captnkill:

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 06:10 PM
Well **** it. I did it. No return now. :)

|MaguS|
03-14-07, 06:40 PM
MWAHAHAHAHA

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 06:43 PM
MWAHAHAHAHA

:) :captnkill:

PeterJensen
03-14-07, 06:44 PM
Now i will have my new toy next friday :) I'm so a tech geek. I feel sorry for my self.