PDA

View Full Version : HL2: Episode 2 and TF2... DX10???

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
03-14-07, 12:28 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/A8BFBE29-E523-465F-B396-4FC304742B3A.htm

For those who recently upgraded their PC video cards to support DX10, you'll be happy to know that both Episode Two and Team Fortress 2 will support the advanced technology of these cards, even if the PC is running Windows XP. On the low-end front, Valve still plans on supporting PCs that can only run DX8 applications. Valve's attempting to also support DX7, but couldn't confirm if it'd go back that far with technology.

Even though Lombardi wouldn't confirm a release date, the current schedule is to release all three versions of the packages in the Fall. Lombardi admitted it was a big undertaking to go multiplatform with this package, but the goal is to ship all three versions concurrently.

Toss3
03-14-07, 12:35 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/A8BFBE29-E523-465F-B396-4FC304742B3A.htm
How's that even possible when xp doesn't have dx10?

superklye
03-14-07, 12:35 PM
How's that even possible when xp doesn't have dx10?
TEH S0URC3!

grey_1
03-14-07, 12:36 PM
That almost sounds more of a marketing hook than anything else. Most games work fine with the advanced technology, so that's nothing really special.

Is he claiming that the game will take advantage of the DX10 support in XP?

Someone enlighten me please, I'm not super educated in this area.

jAkUp
03-14-07, 12:55 PM
lol wtf I just noticed that. That is impossible. In that case it is not DX10.

I think maybe in that case it may take advantage of some of the unified architecture in some way.

grey_1
03-14-07, 02:18 PM
I'll be surprised if a lot of "DX10 FOR XP!!" posts don't start appearing on the net after this, lol. :p

SwedX
03-14-07, 02:21 PM
Must be some missunderstanding of what he said, DX10 in XP, no way!

Nice to hear that it will suport DX10 but to what degree one can wonder, probably performance optimization dont you think ?

Athena
03-14-07, 02:40 PM
What he is saying is that some of the advance features found in DX10 will be used in their game, even on XP.

Remember DX is not the only graphics API used by companies to make games. OpenGL, Glide ...etc can all take advantage to the features in graphics cards that MS is only going to support in DX10.

MaXThReAT
03-14-07, 02:52 PM
What he is saying is that some of the advance features found in DX10 will be used in their game, even on XP.

He didn't say in DX10 he said in the hardware, the cards. Advanced features that are only found in cards that happen to also support DX10. This really fits in with exactly what I was saying in another thread about Valve being deep in MS's pocket. To me and I'm only guessing as to what's going on, it seems MS has given valve their magic porting software. We all know the 360 uses a type of DX that's above DX9 and maybe below DX10 and I will bet the ATI GPU used in the 360 also has these advanced hardware features.
So to me effectively what valve is saying is we are or have rewritten the engine to use these year old 360 features so the game run well on the 360 and it just happens they can use the same features on DX10 cards in XP because MS made sure porting from 360 to PC and PC to 360 would be as easy as possible through DX10 hardware. I don't know about this at all. I mean the 8800 will tear through HL2 & Ep1 at max setting @ 2048x1536 and still run plenty fast, maybe not Lost Coast but... Sounds like a bit of a marketing scam to try to cash in on the DX10 buzz unless they have really uped the graphics in EP2 and it doesn't look much different to me.

jAkUp
03-14-07, 03:05 PM

Remember DX is not the only graphics API used by companies to make games. OpenGL, Glide ...etc can all take advantage to the features in graphics cards that MS is only going to support in DX10.

Glide? lol

Also, Valve does not use OpenGL.

jcrox
03-14-07, 03:25 PM
Gee ya think Valave and MS are hooked at the hip?? Did Gabe at one time work for MS??

CaptNKILL
03-14-07, 03:32 PM
Glide? lol

Also, Valve does not use OpenGL.
Heh, Glide ftw. :D

And this news seems more like marketing hype than anything we'll really notice. They know that interest in DirectX 10 and the "technology" behind the games is so huge right now that the hype behind Crysis (and maybe Bioshock) will totally overwhelm them.

Madpistol
03-14-07, 03:36 PM
Maybe I won't have to upgrade to Vista so quickly afterall.

Namrok
03-14-07, 03:40 PM
I don't care.

I don't care if they multithread it.

I don't care if they hyper 4d bumpmap it.

I never cared about HDR.

I don't care about portal.

I don't care about TF2.

Just release the god damned game already! No more bloatware!

God, you can really tell they're run by a guy who broke away from Microsoft.

Madpistol
03-14-07, 03:58 PM
I don't care.

I never cared about HDR.

I don't care about TF2.

wow... are you alright buddy? I promise it will be alright. I wish we could do something to make them release it faster, but we're at their mercy until they do decide to release it.

Gabrobot
03-14-07, 05:06 PM
Did Gabe at one time work for MS??

What, you didn't know that?

nutcrackr
03-14-07, 07:11 PM
I'm surprised that this thread about episode 2 isn't about another delay. Also it does sound like marketing bs.

SH64
03-14-07, 07:56 PM
Give me Ep2 now & i'll be happy , i dont care about the DX10 enhancments (if there will be any) after a year from now :rolleyes:

john19055
03-14-07, 10:05 PM
Could they not make a patch for DX10 for Windows XP,if they wanted to.

Burner_Tbird2
03-14-07, 10:54 PM
M$ could make DX10 for XP, its just a hardware interface that has nothing to do with their new OS. But that wouldn't help them sell copies of Vista :rolleyes:

nV`andrew
03-14-07, 11:12 PM
TEH S0URC3!

nawz...teh c3ll

Madpistol
03-15-07, 01:13 AM
nawz...teh c3ll

c3ll = t3h sekz!!!!11one1:captnkill:

Grov
03-15-07, 09:20 AM
I don't care.

I never cared about HDR.

I don't care about TF2.

Spot on, totally agree.

Just release the ****ing game, Episode 3 was supposed to be out by Xmas. The whole point of this crappy episodes thing is to give us releases more often. Could Valve butcher the awesomeness that is HL anymore?

FastRedPonyCar
03-15-07, 11:31 AM
Software rasterization FTW!!!

ralinn
03-15-07, 12:22 PM
I'm perfectly happy with them putting more features into the game. I'm not really up with episodic ****e as I don't think it's worth the money, so I don't see how adding more features is a bad thing. Longer waits because of delays? Who cares, it's just a game, I don't think I'm going to die before it comes out.

(please don't quote me on the last sentence :( )