PDA

View Full Version : nVidia driver compability chart

Xake
03-14-07, 01:07 PM
I think it is really time for nvidia to start makeing a easy to find/understand chart over what driver is supported in what version of their driver.
This is a problem both in Linux and windows.

For linux I have a card which I had to try by hand before I found out what driver was the correct one for a GeForce4 for some time ago. The only information on nvidias homepage saying anything about what cards are supported in what version still says it is supported in the "latest release".

For windows I had the problem with my FX 5600 when I grabbed the latset driver for windows vista and it did not work. After som digging I found a TINY note about FX cards only supported in 96.xx and prior.

So from where should I attack nVidia with the idea of having a link at "download driver" telling "what driver should I use for my graphic card" going to a chart looking something like:

Cards name <a href-what-ever>version</a>

and so on?

Becouse I looked at the release notes for diffrent drivers and not even they at some point was telling the right information.

nekrosoft13
03-14-07, 01:10 PM
what??

what driver is supported in what version of their driver.

Hapatingjaky
03-14-07, 01:40 PM
I think it is really time for nvidia to start makeing a easy to find/understand chart over what driver is supported in what version of their driver.
This is a problem both in Linux and windows.

For linux I have a card which I had to try by hand before I found out what driver was the correct one for a GeForce4 for some time ago. The only information on nvidias homepage saying anything about what cards are supported in what version still says it is supported in the "latest release".

For windows I had the problem with my FX 5600 when I grabbed the latset driver for windows vista and it did not work. After som digging I found a TINY note about FX cards only supported in 96.xx and prior.

So from where should I attack nVidia with the idea of having a link at "download driver" telling "what driver should I use for my graphic card" going to a chart looking something like:

and so on?

Becouse I looked at the release notes for diffrent drivers and not even they at some point was telling the right information.

The only beta drivers Nvidia supoprts to any extent is the drivers found on NZONE. Any other beta driver that is leaked is usually leaked by either AIB partners or usually some bogus driver with a custom inf which are not supported by Nvidia.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-14-07, 11:07 PM
I found out when my old GeForce4 didnt work in my old server...

http://rpm.livna.org/

Then I saw that (Look in October), and now I know.

mikedep333
03-14-07, 11:08 PM
Here is all you need to know:

Windows XP - all recent desktop cards - use the latest official driver from nvidia or perhaps a newer one on nzone
Windows XP - all recent laptop cards - same as before but use an inf from www.laptopvideo2go.com
Windows Vista - Geforce 6 series and newer desktop cards - same as for XP
Windows Vista - Geforce 6 series and newer laptop cards - same as for XP
Windows Vista - Geforce FX desktop cards - use the 96.85 as found here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85.html
and stay tuned for newer releases that support the Geforce FX

SLippe
03-14-07, 11:24 PM
NVidia actually tells you what cards are supported for each driver. Look on the left-hand side of the driver page and there will be a link; Additional Info > Products Supported. Not all cards are supported by the latest driver, either, mikedep333.

Xake
03-15-07, 08:21 AM
NVidia actually tells you what cards are supported for each driver. Look on the left-hand side of the driver page and there will be a link; Additional Info > Products Supported. Not all cards are supported by the latest driver, either, mikedep333.

Yes, but there it tells me that my card is not supported, but it does not tell me in what version it is supported...

And there is no information listing that it ever HAS been supported by them, there is no easy-to-find link to an archive with older releases and so on.

What I am looking for is a page telling me that if I have a GeForce FX 5600 in windows Vista, the latest supported version is 96.xx, if I use linux it is 97.xx (or exchange this for "latest currently avaible"). If I have a GeForce 4 MX/MX 400 in windows xp it version 93.xx (or "latest currently avaible"), in linux it is version xx.xx.

Since if you have many diffrent nvidia-cards in many diffrent machines of diffrent generations running diffrent OS it is hard to keep track of what driver is supporting what card in what OS as you can se from above.