PDA

View Full Version : Gothic III VSync Observation

DRen72
03-14-07, 12:24 PM
For those of you that play Gothic 3 in Windows XP, I noticed something last night whie playing around with the game settings after getting a Benq 241WZ LCD monitor. Its my first LCD display and since its 60Hz I knew I'd have to experiment with Vsync and Triple Buffering.

In Gothic 3 I found that leaving VSync off gave me far more fluid and smoother frame rates than forcing it on with or without Triple Buffering. It seemed choppy and unnatural with Vsync on, so I left it off and all is well again.

Side note: Its weird getting used to gaming on an LCD. Not bad, but weird / different.

OWA
03-14-07, 01:25 PM
Yeah, it took me about 2 weeks or so to get used to gaming on a LCD. At first, I didn't really like it but now I can't imagine going back to a CRT. There's definitely an adjustment period though (or at least there was with me).

DRen72
03-14-07, 03:17 PM
I think the hardest part is going to be getting used to the "black colors". I mean, I knew LCD's could not display true black like a CRT and for me its going to be the biggest adjustment. I love games like Splinter Cell, Thief, Doom 3...all the dark lurking type games. I did get Splinter Cell to be "close" to acceptable, but I'm still missing some details while in the dark. I don't think that the dark colors can be adjusted much more than what I've already done either. Its the tradeoff I pay I guess. At least I any not seeing any issues with the 60Hz LCD limitation.

OWA
03-14-07, 03:59 PM
Yeah, that was the biggest issue for me as well. Took me a long time to get the LCD adjusted to where I thought everything was "close" to acceptable in dark games (playing with the brightness, contrast and gamma). Once you get use to that, you probably won't notice it anymore. That one was one of the reasons it took me around 2 weeks or so before I started liking a LCD. But, now that I'm use to it, I don't really notice it anymore. Definite tradeoff though.