PDA

View Full Version : anybody played mkv files on the 360

tornadog
03-14-07, 07:07 PM
I use transcode360 to stream video files to the 360. but with mkv files, i only get video, and very often mencoder crashes. anybody has any experience with this?

toxikneedle
03-14-07, 08:27 PM
mkv is only a container. you have to find out what type of audio the file contains, it could be anything from mp3, wav, dts, ac3, aac, anything.

tornadog
03-15-07, 12:34 AM
how do i do that?

brady
03-15-07, 12:44 AM
google

kev13dd
03-15-07, 01:12 AM
google
Coincidentally, also the cure to cancer too

K

Peoples-Agent
03-15-07, 05:28 AM
I'm afraid there isn't any workable way around this, apart from extracting the files from the .mkv and then re-encoding them which takes hours, deeming the whole process pointless. :(

Equally a shame there aren't any standalone players that can run h264 in an mkv container neither.

Rakeesh
03-15-07, 06:14 AM
I'm afraid there isn't any workable way around this, apart from extracting the files from the .mkv and then re-encoding them which takes hours, deeming the whole process pointless. :(

Equally a shame there aren't any standalone players that can run h264 in an mkv container neither.

Well you can just extract the video from the mkv container and put it in an avi container. You don't need to re-encode to do that, unless you are going from a codec that mkv supports and avi doesn't, or some combination that avi doesn't support.

toxikneedle
03-15-07, 07:59 AM

actually the first standalone recently came out, i dont have the name of it atm but i do remember its a little expensive.

Peoples-Agent
03-15-07, 01:01 PM
Well you can just extract the video from the mkv container and put it in an avi container. You don't need to re-encode to do that, unless you are going from a codec that mkv supports and avi doesn't, or some combination that avi doesn't support.

Ahh cool, so that can be done.

Don't suppose you would know where I could get info on extract video and sound from a .mkv container and changing to .ts or .avi ?

Everywhere I go, it all points to encoding again.

But these are h264 files i'm talking about here.

toxikneedle
03-15-07, 01:48 PM
if you want to demux a mkv file simply get mkvextract and mkvextract gui, then you can mux em back to other formats. I know Elecard's Xmuxer pro can mux h264 ts, and avi files(i believe... never tried.)

If these are in HD though, your best bet is to re-encode them to mpeg2 or wmv since transcode360 doesnt transcode HD resolutions.

tornadog
03-16-07, 10:37 AM
i finally got someof the videos to play fine but one video would hang after 1-2 minutes, then stops. I hit restart and it plays for a few more seconds and again stops. I had no problem with other videos but this one would just not run. Also I tried playing the video on my pc using vlc and it bombed the pc.

toxikneedle
03-16-07, 10:39 AM
Hmm maybe its your directshow filters, try to get CoreAVC if you don't already have it, to decode you h264 files.