PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live! Comes to Windows May 8th

jAkUp
03-15-07, 12:40 AM
Officially announced:

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/03/14/542900.aspx

Members of Xbox LIVE automatically receive the functionality of Games for Windows LIVE, using the same gamertag and friends list at no additional cost. For a single, unified service, the pricing of the LIVE services across both Xbox and Games for Windows is identical. In addition, Games for Windows LIVE introduces the best of Xbox LIVE functionality to please PC gamers, such as in-game voice chat, integrated achievements and dedicated servers. The offering of both Silver and Gold memberships will remain in place for gamers on the Xbox 360 and Windows PC. There is no cost associated with signing up for a Silver membership. Gold memberships will deliver the premium online network experience for $49.95 (U.S.) per year. Current Xbox LIVE Gold members will automatically have access to Gold features on Games for Windows LIVE titles.

Madpistol
03-15-07, 01:15 AM
OMG.....

what a waste of money.

kev13dd
03-15-07, 01:57 AM
OMG.....

what a waste of money.
What the hell are you talking about. Did you not read the flipping article?

WE GET TO PLAY UNO CROSS-PLATFORM!

Go buy your hookers or whatever it is you DON'T consider a waste of money, I on the other hand, am ganna kick some serious Uno come May 8th. Be there, or be lame

K

XxDeadlyxX
03-15-07, 02:35 AM
Lucky I already have my Xbox Gold.

nrdstrm
03-15-07, 02:52 AM
Yay?
**Shrugs**
Just don't see the biggie, but then again I'm not a console game unless it comes to sports (where consoles COMPLETELY OWN)....

kev13dd
03-15-07, 03:14 AM
Yay?
**Shrugs**
Just don't see the biggie, but then again I'm not a console game unless it comes to sports (where consoles COMPLETELY OWN)....
I TOTALLY AGREE!

I had a friend who tried to tell me consoles were horrible at sports. I thought they were crazy. I played baseball, football, hockey, and soccer on the computer long before I had a console- and now that I've played them on a console, there is no way I am ever going back

K

Subtestube
03-15-07, 05:16 AM
I don't honestly see why people are so set on saying "waste of money." OK, I don't think the Gold perks are worth it if you've just got Windows and want to game online, but the Silver membership is free. Gold to me looks more like a way for existing Live Gold members to extend the functionality of their memberships. I would strongly doubt MS will see many Windows Live Gold memberships actively sold - instead I think the majority of them will be 360 users who are already gold members.

Edge
03-15-07, 05:51 AM
At least it allows for the basic online gameplay features to be accessed for free. As long as they allow for voice chat, online play, etc. without any fee, it seems fine, although it does somewhat split the userbase in a strange way. Also, I wish the "multiplayer matchmaking with friends" option was available to Silver members...how useful is that even going to be unless every single one of the friends you want to play with happen to have a Gold membership?

However I'm wondering how they will actively restrict silver members from playing cross-platform with Xbox 360 players...will the servers listed in the browser that allow cross-platform play be specially marked and give you a "you cannot play on this server without a Live Gold membership" prompt if you try to join it or something? If so, I can't imagine many PC servers being dedicated to that when a majority of the playerbase wouldn't have Live Gold.

NaitoSan
03-15-07, 06:42 AM
it's a good start. all we need is to see more games that supports this service. good thing to know you don't have to pay other $49 if you're already gold membership with xbox360.

nekrosoft13
03-15-07, 09:37 AM
what we need is this thing to fail,

CaptNKILL
03-15-07, 09:43 AM
At least it allows for the basic online gameplay features to be accessed for free. As long as they allow for voice chat, online play, etc. without any fee, it seems fine, although it does somewhat split the userbase in a strange way. Also, I wish the "multiplayer matchmaking with friends" option was available to Silver members...how useful is that even going to be unless every single one of the friends you want to play with happen to have a Gold membership?

However I'm wondering how they will actively restrict silver members from playing cross-platform with Xbox 360 players...will the servers listed in the browser that allow cross-platform play be specially marked and give you a "you cannot play on this server without a Live Gold membership" prompt if you try to join it or something? If so, I can't imagine many PC servers being dedicated to that when a majority of the playerbase wouldn't have Live Gold.
Very good points.

I don't know how this whole thing is going to work.

I think if they can do it right and the whole thing works properly and makes getting online and playing games easier I hope it does well and lasts a long time. If it just turns out to be a big pain in the ass or they pull some crap that makes the Gold membership the only one worth using I hope it flops and they shut it down.

NaitoSan
03-15-07, 09:55 AM
Why do people want this to fail instead of being more encouraging? I mean, you're not being forced to use this service, as it is alternate way to play with friends online. Personally, I don't really care about this much but at the sametime, Microsoft is trying to bring PC gaming back in scene (as if). Also more flexible for developers so if they don't want to adopt the idea of using Live, that's fine but also they'll also provide alternate way to play online like IP, LAN or other 3rd party clients.

Maybe silver would be on free, crowded servers with ads (or whatever) while gold will be getting faster, ads-free servers as well better experience (not those kids who loves to cheat using 3rd parties program)... I don't know, just some ideas. But I thought it's pretty cool that you'll be able to play with 360 players from PC. I hope they'll have more titles using this service in order it to be more successful. Are PC players' able to get achivement points too? I wonder if there'll be similar contents found on 360 marketplace for PC?

Damn, it's almost 7am... need go to bed before class. :)

Madpistol
03-15-07, 10:03 AM
How would cross platform work? Wouldn't the guys with the PC versions of every game have a huge advantage over Xbox360 players?

Not to mention I don't have Xbox live, nor do I have an Xbox 360. IMO, this is useless, but there are some diehard fans out there that are like "OMG! I'M GONNA PWN SOME COMPUTER NOOBS!!"... idiots :rolleyes:

EDIT: to clarify, I'm not calling posters on this forum idiots. just the people that think Xbox360 is superior to PC.

TiKiMaN1
03-15-07, 11:38 AM
Halo 2 for PC May 8th as well!:D Obviously that was already found in jAkUp's link though.:p

http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=38221

Personally I am stoked for Xbox Live on the PC. This is going to be a ton of fun IMO. Especially on my new 37" Westinghouse!:)