PDA

View Full Version : PS3 with HDMI to DVI-D

Manware
03-15-07, 05:39 PM
Hi, The next week in Europe the PS3 will be launch and maybe I got one.
I have a questions about HDMI, my LCD on my computer is a Philips 200WB 20" it has a DVI-D plug and VGA Plug.
Im thinking to buy a HDMI 1.3 to DVI-D Wire, Anybody have a PS3 with LCD computer ? Its necessary a HDCP monitor to plug the HDMI-DVI-D?

Thanks a lot;)

Toss3
03-15-07, 05:43 PM
Hi, The next week in Europe the PS3 will be launch and maybe I got one.
I have a questions about HDMI, my LCD on my computer is a Philips 200WB 20" it has a DVI-D plug and VGA Plug.
Im thinking to buy a HDMI 1.3 to DVI-D Wire, Anybody have a PS3 with LCD computer ? Its necessary a HDCP monitor to plug the HDMI-DVI-D?

Thanks a lot;)
Can't remember where I read it, but yes you need a hdcp compatible monitor in order to connect it to the ps3. If your screen doesn't have hdcp, you're gonna end up with a black pic. :(

SebC
03-15-07, 05:47 PM
Yep you need a HDCP enabled montior for that.
Here's a very very nice new one that came out not too long ago
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-050-SA

kevJ420
03-15-07, 05:47 PM
It should...but then again, I dunno if the whole PAL thing would have any effect there either.

PAL is a standard definition spec.

HD is unified, pretty much.

However, Europe has the edge now b/c of ultra wideband. The US sucks for not having it.

With ultra wideband, optical drives will cease to exist.

BTW, get a nec20wmgx2. That ****s even better for the ps3 than for playing pc games.

OWA
03-15-07, 06:02 PM
I thought a HDCP monitor was only needed for viewing blu-ray movies in hi-def. So, games require it also?

Manware
03-15-07, 06:08 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies, Its so sad the HDCP protection......too many people thinks that the PS3 works properly in LCD monitor with HDMI-DVI plug.

SONY should say very clearly this fact because the next week the PS3 arrives in PAL territory because too many people not know this issue , I dont buy the PS3.
Since two years I have a plasma TV 42" with HDTV support through component plug ( 720P ) but if I want play in my room...........I canīt.
I dont want to disturbed my wife when she is on TV room but if I will buy another pad-controller PS3 she will be happy (lee63) :) ;)

Thnaks for the replies;)

Manware
03-15-07, 06:13 PM
I thought a HDCP monitor was only needed for viewing blu-ray movies in hi-def. So, games require it also?

I think like you but the problem is the HDMI. ( digital content protected )

OWA
03-15-07, 06:33 PM
Yeah, you're/they're right. I just now tried connecting my PS3 to my Dell 24" LCD that doesn't support HDCP (using the HDMI-to-DVI cable that I use for my HD monitor) and it didn't work. Black screen like Toss3 said.

|MaguS|
03-15-07, 11:03 PM
HDCP is not required in any form with the PS3 (as of yet, in the future it could be), I am currently using it through VGA on my PC Monitor... I have no issue playing any game or Blu-Ray movie.

Mind you I am going from Component to VGA with a VGA Box (X2VGA 2.0).

Manware
03-16-07, 04:54 AM
It should...but then again, I dunno if the whole PAL thing would have any effect there either.

Yes, of course. But this X2VGA 2.0 is a additional piece with VGA converter, this X2VGA 2.0 is good with a component re-code to VGA ( Analog to analog signal ).

In a few websites I saw the X2VGA 2.0 by 60€. Its expensive but more expensive is to buy a new monitor.
Yesterday Im was looking for a plug DVI-Component ( In the ATi store has it )
http://shop.ati.com/buyatistore_assets/product_images/2537967.jpg

Thanks a lot;)

Toss3
03-16-07, 09:57 AM
HDCP is not required in any form with the PS3 (as of yet, in the future it could be), I am currently using it through VGA on my PC Monitor... I have no issue playing any game or Blu-Ray movie.

Could you try connecting the ps3 to your monitor with an hdmi-dvi-d converter and see if you get a picture?

Imbroglio
03-16-07, 10:09 AM

you're right, HDCP is not required, only if you use component. you are using component, no compliance necessary. try going HDMI -> DVI-D, you won't see anything if your monitor is not HDCP. this is a limit of the HDMI cable, not the ps3 itself.

Could you try connecting the ps3 to your monitor with an hdmi-dvi-d converter and see if you get a picture?

his monitor is not HDCP, so he won't see anything.

ViN86
03-16-07, 10:30 AM
Yeah, you're/they're right. I just now tried connecting my PS3 to my Dell 24" LCD that doesn't support HDCP (using the HDMI-to-DVI cable that I use for my HD monitor) and it didn't work. Black screen like Toss3 said.2405 right? the 2407 supports HDCP.

|MaguS|
03-16-07, 11:07 AM

My monitor doesn't have DVI, Its VGA and BNC Only.

kevJ420
03-16-07, 11:16 AM
I recommend getting a good lcd w/ hdcp, so it'll be digital. Analog is old-school.

My personal recommendation is an NEC 20wmgx2 pro.

Or even waiting for deep color displays w/ opticlear, or at least high color gamut opticlear lcds.

There's too damn many things that should be out now, but aren't.

I don't get why they just don't revise the ps3 hw starting with the europe launch and add an nvio chip that is compatible w/ the rsx.

|MaguS|
03-16-07, 11:18 AM
I had a 42" Westinghouse but it stopped working in HD Modes, so Im stuck with my Monitor till I move (no reason to buy a big TV and have to haul it to another apt in a month).

Lyme
03-16-07, 02:11 PM
Sony loves their DRM

|MaguS|
03-16-07, 02:23 PM
Sony loves their DRM

Yeah because HDCP was created by Sony.... god your a tool...

Lyme
03-16-07, 02:41 PM
Yeah because HDCP was created by Sony.... god your a tool...

Because Sony developed Blue Ray to require HDCP. Because Sony requires HDCP to display video coming from games being played on the PS3. Because to enforce DRM Sony has been convicted of infecting consumers computers with a rootkit.

http://www.windshieldrepair.com/catolog/images/screwdriver.jpg

Imbroglio
03-16-07, 03:19 PM
again, HDCP is a requirement for HDMI, nothing at all to do with sony. if you want to fight, take it up with Silicon Image and whoever else created this standard, don't state this as sony's issue.

hell if this "new" hdmi black xbox 360 comes out, guess what, you'll need a HDCP monitor if you are using a HDMI -> DVI-D converter for the xbox 360, so why don't you go yell at microsoft too.

|MaguS|
03-16-07, 03:33 PM
Because Sony developed Blue Ray to require HDCP. Because Sony requires HDCP to display video coming from games being played on the PS3. Because to enforce DRM Sony has been convicted of infecting consumers computers with a rootkit.

http://www.windshieldrepair.com/catolog/images/screwdriver.jpg

First Sony did not Develop Blu-Ray (spell it right if your going to try to argue something), they are partner of the Blu-Ray Association with MANY other manufacturers and Movie Studios. Second Sony does not require HDCP for PS3 game playback. My friend can play his PS3 through HDMI just fine on his TV (RCA 50" (http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?MN=HD50LPW167&nav=ByTechnology&PC=DLP)) that is not HDCP supportive.

Third HDCP is not a Blu-Ray only DRM, its in HD-DVD aswell so how is it Sony's fault? Oh right its not your just a ****ing tool that likes to hate Sony for no reason. You create your own hate for the company, every one of your Posts in a Sony related thread is just a flame against them for no reason but just to jump on the bandwagon.

Imbroglio
03-16-07, 03:49 PM
My friend can play his PS3 through HDMI just fine on his TV (RCA 50" (http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?MN=HD50LPW167&nav=ByTechnology&PC=DLP)) that is not HDCP supportive.

That television has a HDMI port and no need for HDCP compliance :cool:

|MaguS|
03-16-07, 03:59 PM
That television has a HDMI port and no need for HDCP compliance :cool:

Um, The TV does not support HDCP any protected content, so it would not play on his TV. If he plays a Blu-Ray movie on his PS3 it will not display but games work fine.

HDMI doesn't nullify HDCP, its just an approved interface that is compatible with HDCP/DRM.

Imbroglio
03-16-07, 04:19 PM
yep i'm wrong, sorry about that. hdmi means you need hdcp for drm material, where i though it was hdmi meant that the signal is secure, forgot that the panel needs to generate the code to send back to the player as well.