PDA

View Full Version : Intel 45nm 4GHz info

sillyeagle
03-15-07, 09:56 PM
This is a quote from another forum and I have not the link to his source. Perhaps its old news, perhaps not.

Don't rush out and buy all the latest stuff yet...why? This is going to seem a little over technical, but in short what the new high-k dielectic process allows is the possibility of 4 GHz PC with 8 to 16GB of L2 caching. It appears that Ken's dream of a 4GHz PC could again be on the horizon very soon. Though FSX does not take advantage of the dual core processing power this move to high-k dielectic gates will replace the silicon dioxide gates in use today, By using these smaller and more efficient insulators, the transitior "switches" can handle more power while swithing faster, using the same or less power than today's 65 nm processors (Core 2 Duo). It really would possible to even break the 4GHZ barrier. According to Intel insiders they say this CPU will be showcased by June or July and ship before Fall. While AMD is just now introducing 65nm chips, it will be mid 2008 before any chance of showing a 45nm chip. Intel does it again...sad to say

stevemedes
03-15-07, 10:21 PM
Think i'll be able to put one of these bads in my LGA775 mobo?

Redeemed
03-15-07, 10:34 PM
This just makes me that much happier that I haven't gone C2 yet. I'm happy with this Opty185. :D

Anyhow, I'm liking how the competition between AMD and Intel is really heating up. AMD with Barcelona (K8L, correct?) and now Intel with this. Sounds pretty awesome. :cool: My next build might be around one of these new 45nm Intel chips. Ofcourse, only if the price is right.

Madpistol
03-15-07, 10:46 PM
I'm really glad I went to C2D. However, the future for intel looks like the sun right now.... bright and everlasting.

tacos4me
03-15-07, 10:53 PM
This guy is just pulling stuff from his ass. Intel doesn't have some "4GHz PC" on any roadmap. Yes, 45nm is making an appearance this year, but you certainly won't see a Core 2 with a stock clock speed of 4GHz. Overclocking is another story, but 4GHz really isn't that huge of a feat for any serious overclocker, even at the current 65nm.

That 16GB of L2 sure sounds nice though. :rolleyes:

stevemedes
03-15-07, 10:55 PM
This guy is just pulling stuff from his ass. Intel doesn't have some a "4GHz PC" on any roadmap. Yes, 45nm is making an appearance this year, but you certainly won't see a Core 2 with a stock clock speed of 4GHz.

Damn, and all this time I was under the impression everyone on the internet is just pulling stuff from their ass.

LOL. :p

tacos4me
03-15-07, 11:02 PM
Damn, and all this time I was under the impression everyone on the internet is just pulling stuff from their ass.

LOL. :p

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2007/0202/kaigai333_02l.gif

Weird. I.. don't see anything about a 4GHz PC?

stevemedes
03-15-07, 11:18 PM
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2007/0202/kaigai333_02l.gif

Weird. I.. don't see anything about a 4GHz PC?

im messin with u bro. hence the :p
and no, i dont see anything about a 4ghz PC.

tacos4me
03-15-07, 11:25 PM
im messin with u bro. hence the :p
and no, i dont see anything about a 4ghz PC.
:p

I wouldn't mind a 4GHz C2D though, that's for sure.

ViN86
03-15-07, 11:34 PM
I'm really glad I went to C2D. However, the future for intel looks like the sun right now.... bright and everlasting.
even the sun will burn out.

i cant wait to see the two chips go head to head. also, a huge price drop on C2D may open the door for me to go that route :D

DDR3 will be going mainstream soon as well.

sillyeagle
03-15-07, 11:57 PM
This guy is just pulling stuff from his ass. Intel doesn't have some "4GHz PC" on any roadmap. Yes, 45nm is making an appearance this year, but you certainly won't see a Core 2 with a stock clock speed of 4GHz. Overclocking is another story, but 4GHz really isn't that huge of a feat for any serious overclocker, even at the current 65nm.

Obviously the guy is talking about 4GHz mainstream overclocks, so I would not say he is pulling anything out of his ass. When the 45nm chips come out I bet 4GHz OCs will be all over, just like we have 3.5GHz OCs all over now.

http://www.theregister.com/2007/01/27/intel_45nm_metal_gates/

Intel's 45nm microprocessors will incorporate transistors constructed with metal gates and high-k dielectric materials, the chip maker revealed today. That said, it was tight-lipped about which materials will actually make up these components in its 45nm dual-core die, 'Penryn'.

Penryn's transistors use a metal in place of the polysilicon material that controls the flow of current through today's transistors. And where standard processor transistors separate the gate from the source and drain, and the silicon substrate all these elements are mounted on, Penryn's transistors will use a high-k oxide.

The upshot, Intel claimed, was a "significant performance increase and leakage reduction" - less power is required to switch the flow of electrons through the transistor on and off. Leakage - the flow of current outside the transistor - is reduced, Intel said, because the use of a high-k material means the oxide layer can be thicker than is currently the case, making it harder for electrons to leak through. The high-k material is derived from Hafnium, but Intel would say no more.

It said the new transistor construction will see source-drain leakage reduced fivefold and gate oxide leakage tenfold. Or Intel can opt to raise the drive current 20 per cent, boosting the transistor's switch speed, which essentially means faster processing. Those figures are relative to a standard transistor rather than the design implemented in Intel's 65nm transistors, which included a low-k gate oxide.

Intel also claimed the metal gate and high-k combo would yield around a 30 per cent reduction in the power needed to switch the transistor.

Intel has been working on high-k dielectrics since 2003 at the very least, though it's a technique arch-rival AMD has in the past poo-poo'd. It has put its faith in silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology and a three-gate transistor design.

$n][pErMan
03-16-07, 01:36 AM
I cant wait any longer... im just gonna upgrade... overclock .. and be happy with what I got because I have no need to constantly waste money on the newest stuff out... at least... not while im saving up for a house :p

Rakeesh
03-16-07, 02:59 AM
I am glad I went to C2D namely because the last generation of CPU's ran way too f*cking hot. Before my C2D I had to put up with noisy fans and a room that gets overheated in the summer. The C2D runs so cool otoh that I don't hear the fans at all, ever. The room still gets a little hotter, but not nearly as bad as it was.

This 4Ghz deal sounds like it is just moving back in that direction again. No thanks.

Madpistol
03-16-07, 08:15 AM
even the sun will burn out.

:eek:

I know, but hopefully that won't happen anytime soon.

Redeemed
03-16-07, 08:42 AM
Intel is planning on having these new chips available before year's end though, right?

If so, maybe I should hold off on these two new system builds. I could get the tower, PSUs, HDDs, and optical drives of course- but for the rest of the rig (mobo, CPU, ram, video cards) I should probably hold off.

This does sound pretty exciting though.