PDA

View Full Version : System Shock on VPC2007 or Dosbox?

Pages : [1] 2

Epyx
03-16-07, 11:03 AM
I have installed Virtual PC 2007 and System Shock runs a little slow on higher resolutions (640x480). I am running the CD ehanced version and love the higher res..

Has anyone tried this version on Dosbox and can comment on performance. Im at work now or I would try it myself but would be nice to see if its worth bothering with.

Thanks in advance.

kevJ420
03-16-07, 08:46 PM
I would assume dosbox would be much smoother than virtual pc. I've always thought virtual pc was supposed to be slow, but maybe they changed it, but I don't think you can go wrong with dosbox.

Epyx
03-19-07, 01:13 AM
Latest version of Dosbox .70 plays it perfectly. Not that many are likely to play this old game! ;)

However, if you can put graphical expectations on hold...this is the first true 3d game and what a game it is.

CaptNKILL
03-19-07, 07:01 AM
However, if you can put graphical expectations on hold...this is the first true 3d game and what a game it is.
huh?

There have been 3d games since the early 80s. :p

Edge
03-19-07, 09:26 AM
huh?

There have been 3d games since the early 80s. :p

I think by "true 3d" he means actual 3d environments instead of basically being a 2d-plane but with 3d graphics (i.e. Doom, since to the game engine there was no "up" or "down"). I'm not sure if System Shock was the first, but it was one of the first at least, along with games such as Marathon.

evilghost
03-19-07, 09:34 AM
I think by "true 3d" he means actual 3d environments instead of basically being a 2d-plane but with 3d graphics (i.e. Doom, since to the game engine there was no "up" or "down"). I'm not sure if System Shock was the first, but it was one of the first at least, along with games such as Marathon.

What about Descent?

CaptNKILL
03-19-07, 04:07 PM
What about Descent?
Descent was from 95, System Shock was from 94.

And yeah, if SS is truely 3d in that sense, then it probably is one of the first. I haven't actually played it, but I tried to get it working a few months ago. I wonder if I can get it to work on my windows 98 system or if I'll have to go the DOSBox route.

|MaguS|
03-19-07, 04:10 PM
DOSBox is what I use to play SS1.

CaptNKILL
03-19-07, 04:52 PM
I'm playing it on DosBox right now. It works fine but its pretty slow.

Actually... its reaaally slow. It probably won't be playable if there are any really complex scenes.

sMull
03-19-07, 04:57 PM
The only thing you need was the fixed EXE for windows, works great.

CaptNKILL
03-19-07, 05:25 PM
The only thing you need was the fixed EXE for windows, works great.
I tried getting it all working in XP a while ago and I didn't have any luck at all.

And sadly, vdm sound doesnt work in Vista so that isn't an option.

Or are you talking about something else? Do you have a link?

EDIT: This is the "System Shock Portable" thing that is supposed to get it working in Windows, but the old version didn't work for me. I guess the new version is much better, but their site is shut down because of costs. :(
http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=211.0

If anyone finds System Shock Portable 0.6 anywhere, please post a link.

kevJ420
03-19-07, 05:40 PM
Descent was from 95, System Shock was from 94.

And yeah, if SS is truely 3d in that sense, then it probably is one of the first. I haven't actually played it, but I tried to get it working a few months ago. I wonder if I can get it to work on my windows 98 system or if I'll have to go the DOSBox route.

The fact that Descent 4 is a sequel that never will be sucks ***.

But, I'm sure you'll be able to get DOSbox to work fine with System Shock, just try to get the best looking, fastest, and most stable settings in Dos Box, your system is similar to the other 2 who have had a good SS experience on Dosbox. Also, did you use version .70?

Epyx
03-19-07, 07:58 PM
I'm playing it on DosBox right now. It works fine but its pretty slow.

@CaptNKill

Slow? Hmm are you using the latest version .70? I am and running it at 640x480 and its smooth as silk. I would recommend using this version of DOSBox as it works great with Vista, although you don't get access to the 800x600+ resolutions that the XP hacks offer.

As for whether it was the first 3d game...sure there were games in 3d...

Driller
Mercenary on Targ etc

My comment was from the hip and what I really should have said was

"System Shock was the first 3d textured polygon with physics engine and action orientated RPG game" phew ;) happy?

THe game really was ahead of it's time though..it took Ultima Underworlds engine to a whole new level...Doom although ultimately much more popular did not use a "true" 3d engine and could be argued to be inferior technically as well...however no denying it was far more popular.

If you give System Shock the chance though you will no doubt see that it was at least 3 years ahead of its time...a shame.

crainger
03-19-07, 08:03 PM
I always heard Battlezone was the first fully 3D game. Sure it was just a bunch of lines to make prisims etc, but it was 3D.

I haven't played System Shock on years. Might dig it out after I'm done with the bunch of new titles. (STALKER, CnC)

ynnek
03-19-07, 08:26 PM
The real test of "true 3d" fps is when you can have an object directly above you.

If you notice on some older games, this is impossible.. A quick test is to look at map, and see if there's a place where you can be underneath a ledge and have a monster walk on top of that ledge over you.

Forget if SS allowed this or not.

CaptNKILL
03-19-07, 08:41 PM
@CaptNKill

Slow? Hmm are you using the latest version .70? I am and running it at 640x480 and its smooth as silk. I would recommend using this version of DOSBox as it works great with Vista, although you don't get access to the 800x600+ resolutions that the XP hacks offer.

Wow thanks, I didn't know there was a .70 version of DOSBox. Its been .65 for a long time.

It runs freaking perfectly now! :thumbsup:

It was a total slideshow at 640x480 before.

Now I can actually sorta play it like a normal FPS. I'll definitely have to play through this when I get a chance. :)

Destroy
02-15-08, 08:46 AM
Can anyone get this game to run at 12x10? Yes, I mean 1280x1024.
See here to get 12x10 enabled (http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=115.msg221#msg221)

Everytime I try to enable 12x10 the game crashes.
See here (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1335350162&postcount=18) and here (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1335354527&postcount=22) for the issues.

XDanger
02-15-08, 03:30 PM
Mercenary was a good wireframe 3d game

DRILLER was the first
commercial proper solid 3d computer game.

The Sentinel looked like a proper 3d game but really just a series of 2d images.

Theres no 3d graphics card emulation on virtual pc so that wouldnt work. Just a 4mb 2d card or some junk.

NaitoSan
02-15-08, 04:55 PM
be sure to have dosbox using your cpu on max, it smooths the game out ALOT.

grey_1
02-15-08, 07:32 PM
Any one have a solid link to where 1 or 2 can be purchased? All I can find are dead ends or really outrageous prices.

I have to play these and see what the fuss is about.

TIA :)

Destroy
02-15-08, 08:14 PM
Any one have a solid link to where 1 or 2 can be purchased? All I can find are dead ends or really outrageous prices.

I have to play these and see what the fuss is about.

TIA :)

Number 1 is free and nicely updated here. (http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=211.0)
Let me know if you can get 12x10 working pls.

Number 2 is very hard to come by and in demand. Torrent may be only (cheap) way?

grey_1
02-15-08, 08:26 PM
Number 1 is free and nicely updated here. (http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=211.0)
Let me know if you can get 12x10 working pls.

Number 2 is very hard to come by and in demand. Torrent may be only (cheap) way?
Thanks Destroy! I'll post any progress on the rez in a while.

EDIT: grrr, 12x10 immediately crashes on me also. He has a lot of info on what he did though. I'll post again if I can make it work.

Destroy
02-15-08, 09:56 PM
Thanks Destroy! I'll post any progress on the rez in a while.

EDIT: grrr, 12x10 immediately crashes on me also. He has a lot of info on what he did though. I'll post again if I can make it work.

Does the menu show up with resolutions properly listed in the Video are within the game like this....? I get a bunch of black boxes.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9603/xgashockvideoea4.png

Buio
02-16-08, 09:13 AM
Still got the original boxes of SS (cd version) and SS2 in my bookshelf. Classic games will stay there forever.

Thanks for the SS1P link, might go back for some retro gaming. :)

grey_1
02-16-08, 09:18 AM
Does the menu show up with resolutions properly listed in the Video are within the game like this....? I get a bunch of black boxes.

No, mine just crashes straight to desktop on launch. I'm using the ss1hr.exe listed on his site. When I drag the cdshock.exe over it I get the option to add the 12x10, it takes it alright, but then get the ctd. Soon as I restore defaults it's fine again.