PDA

View Full Version : sega.

kevJ420
03-17-07, 06:05 PM
DISCLAIMER 1: This is kind of a stupid thread, I know, but maybe one other person might find it interesting.

Disclaimer 2: This is based on "what if's." None of this is possible. This may be a bit naive, but I'm hoping that people don't hate Sega as much as I think.

Disclaimer 3: This would only be if it wasn't against the CSK founder/ executive's wishes, I forgot his name. He lives on forever in our memories and gratitude. Anyways, his wish was that Sega become a SW only company, which they did, but...

...would anyone, if it was ok with him, want Sega back in the hw market if they made mostly good games? Would anyone be willing to sacrifice Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft for Sega to have a strong place in the hardware market? If so, which one?

Myself, I'm a Sega fanboy, so if the CSK founder had wanted Sega to stay in the HW market I would definately want Sega back and I would be willing to have only Sega forever, other than also the PC forever. I wouldn't feel sorry for any of the other 3.

The only thing Sega did lately, that the least bit upset me, was the sad, bad port of the latest Outrun to the PC. I wish Yu Suzuki/AM2 had done it instead of Sega having someone else to do it. He's one of the best programmers and he would be able to port any game to the PC in a heartbeat, while making it look better as well.

Q
03-17-07, 06:13 PM
DISCLAIMER 1: This is kind of a stupid thread, I know, but maybe one other person might find it interesting.

Disclaimer 2: This is based on "what if's." None of this is possible. This may be a bit naive, but I'm hoping that people don't hate Sega as much as I think.

Disclaimer 3: This would only be if it wasn't against the CSK founder/ executive's wishes, I forgot his name. He lives on forever in our memories and gratitude. Anyways, his wish was that Sega become a SW only company, which they did, but...

...would anyone, if it was ok with him, want Sega back in the hw market if they made mostly good games? Would anyone be willing to sacrifice Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft for Sega to have a strong place in the hardware market? If so, which one?

Myself, I'm a Sega fanboy, so if the CSK founder had wanted Sega to stay in the HW market I would definately want Sega back and I would be willing to have only Sega forever, other than also the PC forever. I wouldn't feel sorry for any of the other 3.

The only thing Sega did lately, that the least bit upset me, was the sad, bad port of the latest Outrun to the PC. I wish Yu Suzuki/AM2 had done it instead of Sega having someone else to do it. He's one of the best programmers and he would be able to port any game to the PC in a heartbeat, while making it look better as well.

Thank you for the disclaimer/warning.

|MaguS|
03-17-07, 07:38 PM
Sega is better as a Game Developer, in the Hardware market they have been on a decline ever since the Genesis. They just need to go back and do original titles, they rock when they aren't focusing on sequel and rehashes.

Sure the Dreamcast was a good console but they lacked any kind of 3rd party support which is needed in the console market. I don't buy a console just for 1st party titles alone, it needs to have a good veriaty of titles from different developers.

Sony is my favorite of all the consoles, I have expressed this many times. Not for their BS PR but because they always have the titles that I enjoy. I love their lineup always, they have the games that I like to play. This round it might be confusing considering that many titles are not going to be exclusive so were really going to have to depend on exclusive developers from all fronts.

saturnotaku
03-17-07, 08:12 PM
Sega's loss on the Dreamcast was in the hundreds of millions of dollars. They were just like MS with the original Xbox - pay for off-the-shelf components and push the hardware at a loss. It did well to start (as it was the first new console since the N64) but the lack of 3rd-party support and the fact that Sony was so dominant did the DC in.

The only thing I want from Sega is to finish Shenmue - one last game to wrap up the story. Don't worry about updating the graphics. Just pick a console and release it.

SeriTonin
03-17-07, 08:19 PM
I felt the saturn and the dreamcast were grossly underrated systems. Netlink on saturn provided some of the earliest online play for a console. Sega always seemed ahead of the times. The dreamcast had an awesome online set-up, add in all the great games. I was a huge sega fan.

Lately I have not been impressed with their software, but regardless, I think publishing and developing is where their niche is. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", yknow?

Edge
03-17-07, 08:29 PM
Sure the Dreamcast was a good console but they lacked any kind of 3rd party support which is needed in the console market. I don't buy a console just for 1st party titles alone, it needs to have a good veriaty of titles from different developers.
I'm not sure why you say that, the Dreamcast had a large amount of third party support. In fact I believe 14 of the 18 games that were available for its US launch were third party titles. The Dreamcast actually was pretty well set for third party support, about the only major thing they were missing was EA.

|MaguS|
03-17-07, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure why you say that, the Dreamcast had a large amount of third party support. In fact I believe 14 of the 18 games that were available for its US launch were third party titles. The Dreamcast actually was pretty well set for third party support, about the only major thing they were missing was EA.

Um what? Most of the titles released on the Dreamcast were Arcade aimed or ports. They lacked very few console like games, and even fewer AAA titles.

Seriously, the DC was known for a very small AAA lineup, Soul Calibur, Sonic 1/2, Shen Mue, Skies of Arcadia (sold like crap), 2K Series and um... It had very few notable titles, ones that everyone wanted. It had many small cult classics but nothing that made had people lining up to buy.

SeriTonin
03-17-07, 09:36 PM
Those smaller games are what made dreamcast...

Jet Grind Radio, The sports 2k series, the pc ports like quake 3 and unreal with keyboard and mouse support, don't forget the awesome arcade ports like the 2D fighter like marvel vs. capcom, crazy taxi, silent scope,etc that the system also held.

I think they had a very solid library, but it was hit or miss with the fans. You absolutely loved or hated everything dreamcast put out, there was no middle ground.

Unfortunately there was no "it" title for the mindless to read about in egm. No gta 3 or halo, but i'll be damned if their smaller budgeted, under-the-radar titles were just as good if not better.

Shamrock
03-17-07, 09:40 PM
Dreamcast also had dual CPU :) I thought Sega did a fine job at hardware. They just lost out to Nintendo at the time.

|MaguS|
03-17-07, 09:49 PM
Dreamcast also had dual CPU :) I thought Sega did a fine job at hardware. They just lost out to Nintendo at the time.

Nintendo? They were out of the picture when Dreamcast released, hell the N64 was behind both the Dreamcast and Playstation... Nintendo just recently recovered from their term of suckage.

SeriTonin, I agree. The Dreamcast had many under the radar or cult titles but nothing big thats why I say it needed stronger 3rd party support. Just because you have many developers on board if they don't release their top titles on your console they aren't fully supporting you.

Square is supporting Xbox 360 by releasing Final Fantasy XI but what else have they really shown in support?

kevJ420
03-18-07, 03:35 PM

The Saturn had dual cpus (2) Hitachi SH-2's, the dreamcast had only 1 Hitachi SH-4.

The 32X had dual SH-2's plus the Motorola 68000s from the Genesis and Sega CD

kevJ420
03-18-07, 03:52 PM
Sega is better as a Game Developer, in the Hardware market they have been on a decline ever since the Genesis. They just need to go back and do original titles, they rock when they aren't focusing on sequel and rehashes.

Sony is my favorite of all the consoles, I have expressed this many times. Not for their BS PR but because they always have the titles that I enjoy. I love their lineup always, they have the games that I like to play. This round it might be confusing considering that many titles are not going to be exclusive so were really going to have to depend on exclusive developers from all fronts.

That really is the sad truth that most of Sega's sequels in the 2000s have sucked, especially the Sonic games. I think the only sequel they have done a good job with, not on their own hardware, was Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I'm really not hoping for a sequel to Nights b/c it won't be as good as the first one.

One reason, maybe a small reason, but I think there sequels aren't as good, possibly because a lot of their 2nd parties (like Rare was to Nintendo, now to MS) are no longer around, although Orta came from a different team than the 3 Saturn ones.

Sony is definately my favorite one this generation, I agree 100%. Although, I'm going to get flamed for this, but I think Microsoft's PR (if that means relations to the public) is worse, mainly because they gave Ben Affleck (is that the right actor?) and Paris Hilton free Xbox360s when I had already paid for mine plus other things for it and I had to wait much longer for them. That really pissed me off, and I appreciate Sony not doing anything like that, and also for making sure that all of the blu(e) lasers they used were good, unlike the ****ty PS2 DVD drives (until the top-loading model came out.)

kevJ420
03-18-07, 04:04 PM
Sega's loss on the Dreamcast was in the hundreds of millions of dollars. They were just like MS with the original Xbox - pay for off-the-shelf components and push the hardware at a loss. It did well to start (as it was the first new console since the N64) but the lack of 3rd-party support and the fact that Sony was so dominant did the DC in.

The only thing I want from Sega is to finish Shenmue - one last game to wrap up the story. Don't worry about updating the graphics. Just pick a console and release it.

Shenmue 2 was excellent. Did you import the European DC version like I did (w/ a DCX Disc) or did you buy the Xbox version? I kind of would like to see what the xbox version was like. It had the voice actor for Alucard in Symphony of the Night. He's quite a talented person.

Also, you will want Shenmue 3 to be on the PS3, b/c the loading times on the European DC version of Shenmue 2 are quite frequent. It would benefit greatly from the aide of a hard drive, which only the PS3 uses for loading, plus Blu-Ray means it would be the longer. And the final thing they could do w/ the PS3 is integrate the 6-axis feature into the quicktime events.