PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3?

glennalan
03-17-07, 06:35 PM
I just bought several video games including doom 3. It came with 3 cds and had room for a fourth one. Am I short a cd or is 3 right? I'm not ready to load the game right now I'm doing something else more important. Thanks in advance.

grey_1
03-17-07, 06:41 PM
It's 3. Enjoy the game, I did.:)

glennalan
03-17-07, 07:02 PM
Thanks! I guess I will load it up later on tonight. I bought about a dozen games and was just wondering if that one was a disc short.

Grov
03-17-07, 08:04 PM
Where you been man lol?

Doom 3 is cool. Play at night, with headphones on, in the dark!

crainger
03-17-07, 11:02 PM
Grab the expansion. It's one cd and can fill the extra slot you have for a 4th CD.

Redeemed
03-17-07, 11:04 PM
Grab the expansion. It's one cd and can fill the extra slot you have for a 4th CD.

But might he run into compatibility problems if he did that? Might cause some corruption to the .cab files in the CD if he did that... :rolleyes: :p

Redeemed
03-17-07, 11:05 PM
I've yet to play Doom3. I tried the demo and just didn't like it one bit. Maybe, just maybe, some day I'll play it.

jAkUp
03-17-07, 11:19 PM
Doom3 was great, but too long IMO. First time I can remember complaining about a game being too long... lol

Richteralan
03-17-07, 11:26 PM
Where you been man lol?

Doom 3 is cool. Play at night, with headphones on, in the dark!
WERD!!!:cool: :D

glennalan
03-17-07, 11:28 PM
I've been playing mostly new titles. I found an online store that sells new and used pc games and bought several of the older games at bargain bin prices. I had played the King Kong demo and didn't like it much though I've liked playing the full game version so far. I prefer quality over quantity definately, but I bought alot of the directx9 games to play while they are still available.
If I like the game I probably will buy the expansion and put it in the fourth spot. Thanks!

SlieTheSecond
03-17-07, 11:30 PM
Doom 3 was fun at first. Same with quake 4 was fun at first.

Then I found it just repeats its self. Nothing new but running from metal room to metal room.

After beating both games I never played either again hehe.

I find the old classics to be the best. In fact I am half way done Zelda II for the nes right now :)

glennalan
03-18-07, 12:44 AM
I've played Quake 4 and Prey and I presume that they are the improved versions of Doom 3 so I don't know if going back in time to Doom 3 will be that interesting.

crainger
03-18-07, 12:52 AM
I've played Quake 4 and Prey and I presume that they are the improved versions of Doom 3 so I don't know if going back in time to Doom 3 will be that interesting.

That's true. I love Doom 3, it has a great atmosphere and is really unsettling. But compared to Prey and Quake 4, and as jAk mentioned, it goes on and on for awhile, it can be a little tiresome.

Bokishi
03-18-07, 03:16 AM
Doom 3 is looong. I never finished it.

Shaitan
03-18-07, 11:58 AM
I was very impressed with DOOM 3. The only thing I didn`t like was it felt too hallcrawlish. could have used some huger open areas. And that stupid lamer flashlight reliance. lol Otherwise, it scared the living crap outta me.

Infact, it was the only game I ever played that I really liked, but I dreaded to finish it. I did finish it, but took my sweetazz time. hehhhe

BioHazZarD
03-18-07, 12:48 PM
Man i remember this game it took me months to complete it, i was so terrified playing this game i could not make it more then 30min or so.. i even changed my graphics card when the 6800 nvidia got out.. hehe its an awesome game and i like it that its not that short either.. played it again and it still impresses and scares me alot.

glennalan
03-18-07, 12:48 PM
That is what I'm thinking from what I've read Doom 3 was too dark and then Quake 4 and Prey lighted up more and had more open areas...my guess so far.

ralinn
03-18-07, 01:14 PM
I preferred Quake 4 over Doom 3 but Quake 4 seemed to be more focused on action. Doom 3 was all about the atmosphere, and done a good job of it IMO. I agree with jAkUp, it was a bit too long... it seemed to milk the scares a lot and started to repeat its self a bit too much :(

I think I would have enjoyed it far more if the game was shorter and Hell came a little sooner :D

XDanger
03-18-07, 02:05 PM
Doom3 is like a scary ghost train. Quake 4 was way too short.

3DBrad
03-18-07, 09:09 PM
Doom 3, Quake 4, and Prey all suffer from you basically doing the same thing over and over again. At least they're not as bad as Serious Sam 2 (basically, just tons of enemies heading towards you almost all the time).

Quake 4 is the only id game I have gone back and played.

Doom 3 I played a few minutes of and didn't like it. Prey has way too much cursing, and the cursing "filter" (via options) does a bad job at turning off the cursing, not to mention the online is dead, and the story line is bleh at best.

ralinn
03-19-07, 06:58 AM
Personally I don't think Quake 4 suffered from repetitiveness :(

CaptNKILL
03-19-07, 07:42 AM
I think Quake 4 could have been better but was MUCH more fun than Doom 3. D3 was unimpressive in both gameplay and graphics. It didn't play like doom, it didn't feel like doom, it didn't look like doom, and what it did have wasn't original or all that interesting.

ynnek
03-19-07, 12:30 PM
D3 RoE was much better than the original Doom 3. Much harder too..

Quake 4 needs to be played on at least one notch higher difficulty than you normally play to really get the true effect(same with D3 RoE).. The game is quite boring when enemy's weapons only do like 1/2 damage, since you don't have to think or plan too much ahead of time.

To me, D3 was a few monsters in a creepy environment that jump out on you at the worse times possible. D3 RoE was setup much better.. Its much harder, because the game designers made the monsters encounters slightly more, "tactical"(relative to orignal Doom3, which was not much since its just monsters jumping out of closets).. You get surrounded, while standing next to an explosive barrel.. Lmao.. one of my fav scenarios in the original Dooms. The artifacts are very satisfying to use.

Quake 4 IMO is a bit different, its about huge waves of enemy soldiers with huge firepower (Strogg style) that rush towards you when you are detected. You appreciate the Q4 AI gameplay later in the game, on higher diff levels as you get deeper into Strogg space... They made the beginning ridiculously easy so the avg gamer won't get immediately frustrated. Unfortunately, most people only see this part and turn the game off, especially since normal diff setting is so easy for anyone that plays FPS's.. and the beginning cannon fodder aren't very smart and come in small numbers...

Cause later, You got snipers shooting from a diff, the cannon fodder rushing you up front, and the heavy weapons guy slowly closing in. Sure you can use the biggest gun you have, but you'll quickly run out of ammo.. IMO, they made it too easy on normal difficulty - the enemies weapons are like what 1/3 of the power of yours on normal? Its not really fun, imo, when you don't really have to work hard at avoiding fire.

kMal
03-19-07, 05:38 PM
Meh, it was a good game. Enjoy it. While you can.:headexplode: